ADVERTISEMENT

Per Ramsey Oakland plays a lot of zone

Depends on if it's a 2-3, a 3-2, or a 1-3-1. We all know how much Cal loves that last one.

A 3-2 could pose a problem if our bigs can't get their heads out of their asses like usual.

Anyway, GO BIG BLUE.

Nothing is for granted with this squad, especially if they throw together something unusual for this game. I could see a matchup base zone with some triangle and 2 or box and 1 mixed in.

They do. A matchup at times an a sagging at times.,Keep in mind they played 2 teams in their conference semis and finals who were horrific perimeter shooting teams.

In theory, we should be hard team to zone effectively because of our shooting, but it also seems like Cal’s teams in recent years haven’t always executed a zone offense very well. I feel pretty good about the first game though. All bets could be off after that.

Nevermind the fact that Oakland would be risking giving up open 3pt shots, they're opening up the possibility for offensive rebounds against a team that isn't a good rebounding team. I like it.

Uh, not Mitchell. Mitchell hasn't been playable (for significant minutes) for a few months. Back-up minutes for him unless he finally gets back to form.
Tre is the perfect player to plant at the foul line and pass vs a zone. If Oakland sticks to zone, I predict a big game from Mitchell.

Reactions: catfan220
Oakland only plays THREE frontline players, 6-6, 6-6, 6-9, all 215-225. The rest of their minutes go to 6-3 and under guards.
If Oakland plays zone, UGO CAN'T PLAY and UK will need their best inside passers/ shooters
Tre is the perfect player to plant at the foul line and pass vs a zone. If Oakland sticks to zone, I predict a big game from Mitchell.
roaming around the foul line (Z and Mitchell).

The zone defense should not be a problem if: We have guards that drive to the basket and post players who can score in the paint. Just don't decide that a zone is gonna affect our offense is all Im saying.

Reactions: WildcatNC
Actually, the few times we faced a zone this year I think we did pretty good against it. Zone D is not that hard to play against as long as you are patient. And it should help our offensive rebounding.

Please zone this team. Just let Tone, Rob, and Reed have target practice off easy screens.
It's pretty much a matchup 1-3-1, which I don't think we've seen this year, and I'd be surprised if any of our freshmen have ever seen before. It's unique, definitely not like any 2-3 zone they've seen this year.

What Oakland will actually tend to give us will be our post isolated 1 on 1, but I don't think that's what UK wants. Not sure we're going into the NCAAT relying on Ugo or Big Z can win 1 on 1 battles in the post.

I think offensive rebs, some lobs/dunks will be open. If we can execute vs the zone and make them go M2M, it'll be game over. But they'll have our shooters marked, hard closeouts - need to shot-fake and drive those hard closeouts, make zone scramble, and you'll probably see some Adou, Ugo, Z alley-oops

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT