ADVERTISEMENT

People still think Reeves isn’t a starter

He carried Kentucky tonight for sure.
Hope he hits 5 threes v KU on Tuesday or we will lose.

It's clear if Kentucky is going to be a good team, Reeves and Edward's have to get the offensive play going. We have to have them on all season long.

Reactions: dl51344
This team will not reach where we want to go because Wagner - Dillingham - Edwards - and possibly Shepperd will not shoot good percentages from 3
Mitchell & Reeves will
Got to have shooters

This team will not reach where we want to go because Wagner - Dillingham - Edwards - and possibly Shepperd will not shoot good percentages from 3
Mitchell & Reeves will
Got to have shooters

Those guys are freshman and still adjusting to the speed of the game.

Brandon Knight started his career from 3:

2/5
2/8
1/6
0/8

from 3. For a total of 5/27 (17%).

Tyrese Maxey started his career from 3:

3/7
0/2
1/4
1/5
1/4
0/3
0/3
0/4

Caught fire come conference play.

Malik Monk started
1/6
2/6

in his first 2 games before hitting 7 all of a sudden against Sparty.

I could go on and on.

Judging a freshman's shooting ability for the entire season after only 2 games into their careers is silly at best.

Those guys are freshman and still adjusting to the speed of the game.

Brandon Knight started his career from 3:

2/5
2/8
1/6
0/8

from 3. For a total of 5/27 (17%).

Tyrese Maxey started his career from 3:

3/7
0/2
1/4
1/5
1/4
0/3
0/3
0/4

Caught fire come conference play.

Malik Monk started
1/6
2/6

in his first 2 games before hitting 7 all of a sudden against Sparty.

I could go on and on.

Judging a freshman's shooting ability for the entire season after only 2 games into their careers is silly at best.
Only one im concerned about is Wagner because he needs a complete overhaul of his shooting motion, it’s flat and he doesn’t get lift on it

He should never not start. By far the best shooter on the team. Need to start your two seniors
Out of curiosity, who are these people saying Reeves shouldn’t start?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I honestly can’t say I’ve seen folks saying this thing that you’re saying people think.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Only one im concerned about is Wagner because he needs a complete overhaul of his shooting motion, it’s flat and he doesn’t get lift on it
This. Wagner isn’t what he was billed to be so far even if he does have the most NBA potential of the 3 PG. His 3 point shot beyond high school range is kind of broken unless it’s wide open and unrushed as a soft set shot w minimum jump.

With that said, he has a great build and good first step. He should watch a ton of M.Teague tape from the 2012 season and model his college game after that. Teague was great at dictating where he wanted tk get on the floor, finishing through contact when he had and opening, and realizing he had tons of offensive weapons around him to shoot the majority of the time…..and then his deep ball improved to keep the D honest by the end of the year.

We have weapons. Wagner is a great downhill scoring threat…just hope he accepts that maybe he isn’t the offensive star on this team like he’s accustomed to being up to this point in his young life; and instead becomes a great game manager and physical slasher/defender while setting his teammates up.

Out of curiosity, who are these people saying Reeves shouldn’t start?

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I honestly can’t say I’ve seen folks saying this thing that you’re saying people think.
Reeves will be on the bench sooner than later.

Too many players better than him.

When his shot is on he’s on. Other than that he brings nothing to the team.
Mostly this moron here if not the only one.

This. Wagner isn’t what he was billed to be so far even if he does have the most NBA potential of the 3 PG. His 3 point shot beyond high school range is kind of broken unless it’s wide open and unrushed as a soft set shot w minimum jump.

With that said, he has a great build and good first step. He should watch a ton of M.Teague tape from the 2012 season and model his college game after that. Teague was great at dictating where he wanted tk get on the floor, finishing through contact when he had and opening, and realizing he had tons of offensive weapons around him to shoot the majority of the time…..and then his deep ball improved to keep the D honest by the end of the year.

We have weapons. Wagner is a great downhill scoring threat…just hope he accepts that maybe he isn’t the offensive star on this team like he’s accustomed to being up to this point in his young life; and instead becomes a great game manager and physical slasher/defender while setting his teammates up.
I was at the game tonight, Wagners 3s don’t even look close to going in. He also drove in the paint and took some bad contested floaters with his off hand for some reason

If Reeves is pushed out of the rotation by others then we would have one hell of a guard rotation and will be winning the championship. I don’t see that happening, Reeves will be a contributor and we’ll see what happens in March

If there is a better shooter anywhere in the country than Reeves, I want to see him. When Reeves is open and has time to get set, he almost never misses. He isn't as good when he has to put it on the floor, or if his shot is rushed.

Mostly this moron here if not the only one.
Personal attacks again?

That's OK, that's all you have.

I still Reeves will play himself to the bench. And he should be on the bench.

Yes, he hits shots sometimes and he helps us when he does. He helped last night.

But even last night the offense stagnates when he is the game. He's a ball stopper. He doesn't pass. He doesn't move without the ball. He doesn't set screens. He can't handle the ball. He doesn't rebound.

That's just his offense. But that's all he has. His defense can't be talked about because it's non existent.

If he's still playing major minutes by Feb then we just won't be as good as we want to be.

Now you can whine and make personal attacks all you want. Just shows your total ignorance every time you do.

Personal attacks again?

Yes, he hits shots sometimes and he helps us when he does. He helped last night.

But even last night the offense stagnates when he is the game. He's a ball stopper. He doesn't pass. He doesn't move without the ball. He doesn't set screens. He can't handle the ball. He doesn't rebound.

That's just his offense. But that's all he has. His defense can't be talked about because it's non existent.

If he's still playing major minutes by Feb then we just won't be as good as we want to be.

Now you can whine and make personal attacks all you want. Just shows your total ignorance every time you do.
Doubling down! Or I guess this would be tripling or quadrupling?!?

Quit crying because you made a moronic statement.

Personal attacks again?

You are correct. We will be way worse. The freshmen can't shoot. I don't see that changing enough by end of season to matter.

Personal attacks again?

Just stop…reeves will play himself to then bench? So dilly Wagner and Edwards will push him off rotation?

Just stop You look at high school rating for your starting five…not actual play

Personal attacks again?

Calling you a moron isn’t whining, it’s an observation. You continue to call cal one of the best coaches in the game today and continue to say there is no place on the floor for a career 40%+ 3 point shooter when todays game is centered mostly around knocking down 3’s. You don’t want me to call you a moron, that’s pretty simple, stop being a moron. And trust me dude (or gal), I’ve got plenty for you.

Personal attacks again?

And you bashing one of our best players shows not only your total ignorance of basketball in general, but your petty vindictiveness as a fake fan.

We can win if we hit double digit threes at a clip of 40% or better but thats the only way.
Yeah but I don’t think this team will be a very good three point shooting team outside of Reeves. Michell and Sheppard might be decent. But I have a feeling that as a team they wont shoot better than 34 or 35%. Which that could be what haunts them in the end

This! Look, I love Wagner, I really do. However, he’s not some savior like he’s been made out to be. He just needs to play team ball and not try to play hero. He’s a great overall piece and will play a big role on this team. He’s no better than Reed or Rob, though.

Everybody wanted to start Lamb at the point over Teague early. At the end of the year Teague was a beast. Give Wagner some time.

Dillingham/Wagner/Reed are all three better basketball players than Reeves.

Reeves tends to be a black hole. Here are his assist/turnover numbers for his career:

1.3/1.7
1.9/2.4
2.1/2.7
1.6/2.1
1.9/0.6 (this year so far)

He’s a shoot first, asks questions later 2 guard who needs minutes and high volume of shots to stay in rhythm.

That being said, he obviously has value for this team, as long as he is playing within the system and knocking down open looks.

What you want is for March to roll around and Reeves be a nice to have rather than a need to have.

Reeves almost certainly won’t carry you to a championship, but he definitely could win you a game or two.

Dillingham/Wagner/Reed are all three better basketball players than Reeves.

Reeves tends to be a black hole. Here are his assist/turnover numbers for his career:

1.3/1.7
1.9/2.4
2.1/2.7
1.6/2.1
1.9/0.6 (this year so far)

He’s a shoot first, asks questions later 2 guard who needs minutes and high volume of shots to stay in rhythm.

That being said, he obviously has value for this team, as long as he is playing within the system and knocking down open looks.

What you want is for March to roll around and Reeves be a nice to have rather than a need to have.

Reeves almost certainly won’t carry you to a championship, but he definitely could win you a game or two.
There are very few people who can carry a team to a championship, rather be an important piece along the way. Reeves certainly fits into that mold. He most certainly has holes in his game that other players don’t but he also possesses the skill of shooting that others don’t. He is streaky for certain but when he gets HOT he can certainly carry a team to victory that others can’t (Arkansas for example last year).

There are very few people who can carry a team to a championship, rather be an important piece along the way. Reeves certainly fits into that mold. He most certainly has holes in his game that other players don’t but he also possesses the skill of shooting that others don’t. He is streaky for certain but when he gets HOT he can certainly carry a team to victory that others can’t (Arkansas for example last year).
Right. Few can carry a team to a championship, but how often do you see title teams who don’t have that guy (or a couple of them)?

We need the guys like Wagner/Edwards/Dilly to step up because they have that in them. And personally I would put Reed in that category, though I think we’ll see him really come into his own as a sophomore.

Basically, just saying the notion that those three freshmen guards will be more important than Reeves by end of year isn’t crazy. Whether or not he is pushed to the bench isn’t very important, imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT