ADVERTISEMENT

'Pay gap' in Hollywood? Anywhere?

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Sharon Stone is all over it, complaining that Michael Douglas made $14M for 'Basic Instinct' while she only made $500k. Bear in mind that, at the time it was made, MD had already won TWO Oscars and was a very big star. SS was basically a nobody who'd made a few films but was almost invisible in Hollywood. She actually admits this but still bemoans how little she made for the movie. Like anyone, at that time, paid for a ticket to see her. I also remember Jennifer Lawrence complaining that she got 'only' $1M (I'm trying to remember the exact amount but, in relative terms, it's basically correct) for 'American Hustle' while her male co-stars got something like $5 or $10M. Oh yeah, she never even counter offered, just accepted the first offer. Her co-stars? They negotiated higher rates and got them.

The so-called 'gender pay gap' has been disproven many, many times but the MSM keeps trotting it out whenever it's convenient. If there is a gap, it's very small not the 23% that MSM would have you believe. It doesn't even make logical sense. Why would a company hire a male at $X when a female, who can do the exact same job with the same level of competency, could be hired at $0.77X? Why would a company promote a male when a female could do the job for less money? But, the same shrill voices rehash this nonsensical idea pretty regularly.

Reactions: Lamar Card
Sharon Stone is all over it, complaining that Michael Douglas made $14M for 'Basic Instinct' while she only made $500k. I also remember Jennifer Lawrence complaining that she got 'only' $1M (I'm trying to remember the exact amount but, in relative terms, it's basically correct) for 'American Hustle' while her male co-stars got something like $5 or $10M.

Those are some funny examples if you’re trying to prove that there is not a pay gap.

Last edited:
The pay gap myth is so overplayed now. If she didn't think they were paying her enough then she should have withheld her services and done something else. They offered her money to show her cooch and she took the money and showed her cooch. Becoming a millionaire because of your looks is kind of hard to feel sorry for. If she were a 7 she wouldn't have been able to act in a school play.

Those are one off examples by these women. I guarantee if you pull up the paydays for other movies where they were featured they got paid more than their male co-stars. I don't believe for a second, for example, that Josh Hutcherson would have made more off The Hunger Games franchise than Jennifer Lawrence. But of course she doesn't say anything about that. Basic Instinct pretty much launched Sharon Stone's career. Michael Douglas was an established name. At the time that was negotiated it would have made perfect sense. She didn't have the cache to get more. Deal with it.

Pay gap is just another political myth to make people feel oppressed to influence votes.

Reactions: WTF Cat
I worked at place where the pay gap was very real but it was a while ago and was very much a “good ole boys” type of operation.

In 2008, I was hired as part of a four person team. Two guys, two girls. Experience and education were roughly the same. Guys got $12.50 an hour. Girls got $11.25.

Company got mad at the guys because the girls asked what we made and we told them. The girls asked for raises and company felt obligated to bump their pay equal to ours (and gave us a lecture about discussing salary at work. I asked them to show me where it says that is prohibited in the employee handbook. Crickets.)

Douglas was a pretty big star at the time and she was an unknown. But she was great in the movie. She had done Total Recall but had a small part as Arnie's wife.

Reactions: gamecockcat
This has been said before, but if there was a real pay gap why wouldn’t a company hire nothing but women and have a lower cost basis than a firm with men?

My take on it is that a larger share of women than men care more about other things than money, meaning women aren't as cut-throat about pay and don't do things like job hop as much for a bigger paycheck. Nothing wrong with that; but they can't sit there and complain about being paid less if they're not willing to go out there and do something about it (i.e., move jobs).

I think you're all forgetting just how good Sharon Stone was in Total Recall. By good, I mean hot.

welcome-sharon-stone.gif

I might contend that the film industry is a monopsonistic industry and as such wages are lower than if it were a competitive labor market; however, at the end of the day, name recognition is likely the key. I'm certain these formerly oppressed stars now earn many times more than co-stars with large roles who have limited experience/name recognition.

I worked at place where the pay gap was very real but it was a while ago and was very much a “good ole boys” type of operation.

In 2008, I was hired as part of a four person team. Two guys, two girls. Experience and education were roughly the same. Guys got $12.50 an hour. Girls got $11.25.

Company got mad at the guys because the girls asked what we made and we told them. The girls asked for raises and company felt obligated to bump their pay equal to ours (and gave us a lecture about discussing salary at work. I asked them to show me where it says that is prohibited in the employee handbook. Crickets.)
If you were making 12.50 you 100% did not say show me in the handbook where it says that because that means you were like 25.

Michael Douglas was at that time considered A-list. Sharon Stone never was. I read something years ago that talked about Steven Soderbergh trying to get "Traffic" made. Hollywood was nervous that the subject of following different tentacles of drug trafficking and it's effects was not something you went big budget on. Soderbergh, even though he had a number of well-known actors like Catherine Zeta-Jones, Don Cheadle, Benicio Del-Toro in place, the movie was not a go and if he tried to do it, it would be on a $15-20 million budget. So he had to find a big name and actually Harrison Ford said yes because he wanted a serious role and then the budget went to a $100 million with Ford getting about $20 million because foreign film rights sell about (at that time) a $150 million+ for a Ford, Douglas, Stallone, Schwarzenegger. Ford backed out at the last minute to do "Air Force One" and the movie was about to fall apart but Zeta-Jones had just married Douglas and he was more than happy to take Ford's place and they were able to get the financing.

I heard Ford saying he regrets not doing Traffic, but he had had just made a grim film (Random Hearts maybe) and wanted to do something a little more fun.
Douglas made a trilogy of those type of films; Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct and Disclosure.

The pay gap myth is so overplayed now. If she didn't think they were paying her enough then she should have withheld her services and done something else. They offered her money to show her cooch and she took the money and showed her cooch. Becoming a millionaire because of your looks is kind of hard to feel sorry for. If she were a 7 she wouldn't have been able to act in a school play.
Everyone was talking about Sharon Stone after the movie, but not much before. How many people would have responded to “Sharon Stone is making a new movie” before that movie? Nearly no one. She was not a box office draw and, in fact, had been nominated as worst actress for that Alan Quatermain fluff Romancing the Stone ripoff. $500k in 1992 for a relative no-name was probably a great payday. She did not have much negotiating power then.

Reactions: hmt5000
They could always turn down the roles and learn how to code.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT