ADVERTISEMENT

Paddock drummers roll call:

HymanKaplan

All-American
Aug 14, 2001
How many drummers we have on here? Other than me and Bonzo.

What kit(s) do you have?

Self-taught or grew up playing/lessons?

Favorite styles to play?

My acoustic kit is on permanent loan to rudd's band (The Astronauts), because I can't really play them at my house (just too loud without a basement)

I was looking at some Roland e-drum kits, but the new Alesis Nitro Max mesh kit was a fraction of the price, and it came with a 12 inch snare, kick drum pad (and pedal) and it's expandable to 4 cymbals and another tom (in addition to the three toms that came with it) The module has bluetooth which is nice and upgraded drum sounds etc.

If you play, check in...

I'll be getting the Alesis nitro surge kit later this year. Only acoustic set I still have is my first set which is a 90s model Pearl Import kit.

I'm going to get myself an expensive as hell Tama Star classic set for retirement in 20 years.

My dad started me on guitar as a kid becuase he took to it so naturally but I have small hands and struggled to play even a classical. Self taught drums once he finally caved on a real set.
I mostly play progressive rock and metal (tons of poly rhythms and double bass are what I enjoy).

• Love
Reactions: HymanKaplan
I'll be getting the Alesis nitro surge kit later this year. Only acoustic set I still have is my first set which is a 90s model Pearl Import kit.

I'm going to get myself an expensive as hell Tama Star classic set for retirement in 20 years.

My dad started me on guitar as a kid becuase he took to it so naturally but I have small hands and struggled to play even a classical. Self taught drums once he finally caved on a real set.
I mostly play progressive rock and metal (tons of poly rhythms and double bass are what I enjoy).
Sorry about the small hands.

I wish I had held off before I bought the Nitro Max. But I didn't know they were about to release the Nitro Surge Pro

All in all though, I'm pretty happy with a the Nitro Max. Especially the larger snare with zones, and the rim shots are much improved.

If I had the money...

18060c85-eac4-4e95-8825-b89ab2e93e23.webp

I'm a drummer. Got my first set (5 piece Ludwig) about 1972, which I still have. Those drums got me through high school. I played a year in college Jazz band and also played originals with a progressive rock band (similar to ELP) along with an amazing Hammond organ/piano player friend of mine.

I picked up guitar my senior year of HS and a couple years later mostly set the drums aside. I have played guitar and some keys on and off in bands throughout my life. My career always came first and travel sometimes got in the way.

To spice things up, I worked congas into the set-list of the last bar band I was in. After playing the guitar lead on various Santana tunes, I played congas along with our drummer during his solo.

I have collected a lot of musical equipment over the years. Also did some luthier wood working and made electric guitars. I have also played banjo and violin but not at the level of my guitar work. I pretty much shelved my fanatical music obsession about 14 years ago. I may go back to it and focus on violin at some point.

If I had the money...

18060c85-eac4-4e95-8825-b89ab2e93e23.webp
That's pretty close to my setup, just add another crash between the China and right crash and mount the toms and main cymbals on a DW rack. Snare went with DW's Collectors Series 8"x14" exotic regal back burst over mapa burl. All DW 9000 hardware. A Custom Zildjian cymbals. Evans G2 heads and Vic Firth 2B sticks.

God bless you guys who can play electronic drums, would make gig setups simpler and our sound guy would love being able to reign me in easier. Just never found one that comes close to the analog feel and sound, nor could I get the spatial layout near the above so timing on rolls/fills never clicked.

That's pretty close to my setup, just add another crash between the China and right crash and mount the toms and main cymbals on a DW rack. Snare went with DW's Collectors Series 8"x14" exotic regal back burst over mapa burl. All DW 9000 hardware. A Custom Zildjian cymbals. Evans G2 heads and Vic Firth 2B sticks.

God bless you guys who can play electronic drums, would make gig setups simpler and our sound guy would love being able to reign me in easier. Just never found one that comes close to the analog feel and sound, nor could I get the spatial layout near the above so timing on rolls/fills never clicked.

I can't imagine using e-drums for a gig. The newer mesh heads are getting pretty close, but they'll never equal analog.

but, NOBODY is going to hire me for a gig. I play along to streamed songs on my e-drums, but invariably, I get carried away, and just start throwing in ABSURD fills etc. Just going my own way.

I often imagine, if I WAS playing with a band, at that point, everyone would probably stop playing, and just turn around and look, increduously at me. 😆 😆 😆 😆

Last edited:
Reactions: Bonzo Cat
I wasn't lying, and I'm anything but broke. If you'd been paying attention, you'd have read that in my current house, playing acoustic drums is not an option, so it's more about smart money management, than a lack of funds.

But you have, based on your writing skills, and limited awareness, an IQ in the low 70's, so you can't help yourself.

Now go back to your coloring book, Simple Jack.

(I've been floating the idea, to your Mom, about making you move out, so you might want to start wrapping that low density head of yours around the possibility. Of course, I'm framing it in the context of it being "for your own good", but it's mainly to get rid of you.) Did you have any other comments, or have you had enough of getting your ass handed to you? I can do this all day if you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinTXCat
I love a good lively piece of furniture and floor with good acoustic properties to play with.

R40 Kit with DW shells
Base drum w/ Kelly Shu miking system
Sabian Paragon cymbals
Pro Mark 747 wood tip sticks
Urbann boards shoes

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT