ADVERTISEMENT

Oweh commits

Yeah, this is a big signing, and he's another guy who isn't gonna be pushed around. This team is gonna be unlike our freshmen-laden teams under Calipari. Most of those teams' biggest struggles were about getting beat by older, stronger, more mature teams. That's not gonna be a problem. This team may not have the same kind of raw talent but they're not gonna get physically whipped like we did a few times last year. We had talent last season but South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and eventually Oakland manhandled us.

Strawman. They should've been parked on the bench but has nothing to do with the point at issue.

All good defensive guys. We run a good offense. All true.

It's also true he elicited a roar when he implied we want to shoot the most 3s in the country. Offensive scheme has an effect on quality of shots but not quality of shooter. Hopefully they get their averages up. Even so, I don't see how anyone can debate these perimeter guys were top of our board
Try this novel idea. Wait to he has fully assembled his team before making further dumb "A" statement suggesting that his team won't live up to his statement.

I made a post last season after one of the games (probably one against Texas A&M).....Men > Boys.
It looks like we will have the men this year and some defensive minded ones to boot.

Bring on those Arkansas Piglets!
Yeah, if we get Osobor imagine him, Williams, Oweh and Butler together. Looks like it would be a pretty intimidating foursome. Mahaney would fit well with those four.

I'm objective which is lost on many posters. I said in other threads these guys are good players but don't fit what we were told he wants to do. The only takeaway is they're getting the best they can and will try to address the skillset with scheme.

I know ecstatic sunshine pumpers say he's suddenly a defensive coach but he never was before. So that doesn't add up.
His BYU teams were typically in the 50-60 range in adjusted defensive efficiency, with his best defensive team finishing 30th. So it isn’t like he hasn’t prioritized good defense in the past. He’s just made his bones more as an offensive coach.

Think we would all agree that you need both in good measure if you want to compete for championships.

I think he might get a little bit of a pass on who he gets year one its not like he had long to get them. Damn I think the man is a miracle worker for the staff and players he has managed to get in 2 weeks. Some of you guys are unrealistic. Maybe we should have hired some of you guys sounds like you all would have killed it.
I think he has done well within a short amount of time. I haven't looked at the stats, but I am willing to go out on a limb by saying Pope's signees can certainly hold their own with all but two of Cal's flash-dance signees from last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack2936
Why are people acting like this guy can't shoot? 38 percent is respectable. And here's some breaking news: players can improve! Pope's going to have these guys shooting the shit out of the ball in practice.

If you're waiting for another Reed you're going to be disappointed. 50 percent 3-point shooting with heavy volume is damn near historic. Literally may not ever see a guy like that at UK again in our lifetime.

Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

• Haha
Reactions: Ugoff
With the players we are getting so far, do y'all think full court press is coming back???
Unlike our recent one trick pony, I think Pope will allow the game situation to dictate what is required to get the job done. He learned from RP. If you need to speed up the game, you press. If you need to protect the paint and players, you go zone. I don't think teams will be able to only prepare for man defense because Pope can't teach zone defenses.

Why are people acting like this guy can't shoot? 38 percent is respectable. And here's some breaking news: players can improve! Pope's going to have these guys shooting the shit out of the ball in practice.

If you're waiting for another Reed you're going to be disappointed. 50 percent 3-point shooting with heavy volume is damn near historic. Literally may not ever see a guy like that at UK again in our lifetime.
They are trying to find reasons to take shots at Pope even if they have to make up crap.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a big signing, and he's another guy who isn't gonna be pushed around. This team is gonna be unlike our freshmen-laden teams under Calipari. Most of those teams' biggest struggles were about getting beat by older, stronger, more mature teams. That's not gonna be a problem. This team may not have the same kind of raw talent but they're not gonna get physically whipped like we did a few times last year. We had talent last season but South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and eventually Oakland manhandled us.
Cal kept sending out boys to play against men because winning wasn't his main priority. His main priority was preparing boys for the NBA.

Can someone who keeps up with all this. List the current roster with positions height class if possible? I believe that's 5 players correct?
TIA.

The Whinners are just not able to deal with guys who aren't 5-star OADs. They want the kind of players who provides no real improvement to the team. They come and they go having made no real difference.
If they are UK fans, they would be the type that gets off on april til November bragging about recruiting rankings and then they disappear as we lose so many games with those players. I dont think actually winning games matters to those people at all... if they are actual UK fans that is.

His BYU teams were typically in the 50-60 range in adjusted defensive efficiency, with his best defensive team finishing 30th. So it isn’t like he hasn’t prioritized good defense in the past. He’s just made his bones more as an offensive coach.

Think we would all agree that you need both in good measure if you want to compete for championships.

Of course. But surely you agree his focus is on shooting which he emphasized in his PC. These three do not fit that mold.

He can still make it work but I see no way around the fact these guys weren't his top targets.

Reactions: bookerfan66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT