ADVERTISEMENT

Our big guys are a problem

If your goal is a title, I don't see the point of recruiting a finesse "big" who does not want to be in college. AB could be a Naz Reid type in 2-3 years but has a long way to go. Unless Edwards makes huge stride the strength of the team is playing 3 guards. Ugo fits better as a rim runner and defender.

Overall defense needs to improve drastically. last night’s game became unwatchable for me. just sloppy lack of defense playing late in the game. i turned it off with nearly five minutes to go. they better step it up with sec play starting—hopefully will.

Mitchell is a big guy and he had 11 rebounds. The other two only played 15 and 10 minutes respectively. And our other board guy, Thiero, didn’t play last night.

The OP is trying to make up a problem out of nothing.

This board really serves up some epic whinefest material. I mean, c'mon people.

Our bigs are very young. Lots to learn. Most of the things they need to improve on is something that can be coached. I wouldn't worry too much.

it'll be ok. seriously.

Disappointed with the big man play tonight like most others, but to bring perspective and levity to this very real issue…I’m so thankful we at least aren’t subjected to Lance Ware anymore!!
And to Cal’s credit while our 7-footers were in we didn’t waste possessions trying to post them. We just played our guard oriented offense.

Cal right on point post game when he said the sec was watching and saw our weakness. Teams are going to try and bully us on the boards.
I’m sure rebounding and defense will continue to be a focus during the 2 a days.

This board really serves up some epic whinefest material. I mean, c'mon people.

Our bigs are very young. Lots to learn. Most of the things they need to improve on is something that can be coached. I wouldn't worry too much.

it'll be ok. seriously.
Being young has nothing to do with rebounding. Effort does. Fundamentals do. Very seldom do you see uk players actually block out. No reason for 7' guys being out rebounded by guards

Being young has nothing to do with rebounding. Effort does. Fundamentals do. Very seldom do you see uk players actually block out. No reason for 7' guys being out rebounded by guards
true, true. Well stated. Hopefully our guys can put more effort and intensity out there to make up for the shortfall. I'm certain with a little more coaching, these young Cats can see the weaknesses to their game and make up the difference. Much of the reason why Kentucky teams do so well year in, year out, is that they simply play harder to win than the other teams. It's why we have won so many times over all these years. I hope these guys can truly come to understand that.

At least they don't have to actually grow a foot more ! lol

Peace and harmony !

Go Big Blue !

A problem? I don't know if I'd call it a problem at this point. Part of the issue was last night the 7-footers were playing smaller, quicker guys. Mitchell was a better match-up for those guys and we didn't really need the 7-footers in this one. Part of the poor rebounding is the 5-out offense. That doesn't explain the offensive rebounds we gave up though. If there is any problem, that is it. Truth is, and I called it out during the game, the Illinois State guys were just more disciplined getting position and blocking out. Our guys rely too heavily on their size and athleticism. They're not getting position and boxing out. I remember watching Tshiebwe rebounding. He was getting position on guys every time the ball went up. We need Oscar to come do a clinic for those guys.

But the reason these guys aren't scoring as much is because of the style of the offense and because they're just not needed to score with all the other options we have. Think: who would you rather taking shots, Sheppard, Dillingham, Reeves, Wagner or Bradshaw? It's a no-brainer. You want Bradshaw back cutting for lobs, not shooting jumpers. You want the other guys shooting jumpers, because they are hitting them at a high rate.

In that they are both not good.

3 combined rebounds for them tonight. Not acceptable and won’t get it done against a good team
Foot injuries are a real torment to big men. I’m giving them more time to recover fully to see what they can bring to the team.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We do not really need them as a post presence to score. Really, our need for them is dependent upon the makeup of the opponent. It would be good to have one against teams who are strong around the rim. NBA teams will operate like this. They have a token 5 who plays mostly when the opponent has a strong inside presence. Teams used to bring on bigs just to have in case they had to go against Shaq in the playoffs lol
Not scoring like a traditional big. Bradshaw isn’t even a defensive presence at this point. Plays much smaller.

Amen! They guys played in high school, didn't they? They should have learned the basics at least. Like putting your hands up on defense, blocking out, FIGHTING FOR THE BALL, etc. Some act like they are afraid of being touched, like it might hurt a little, or they give up too quick. They may need to practice against other college players, but they should at least know the basics. Heck, my middle school girls that I coached years ago, knew about defense. They just needed to practice (especially when they went to high school and played against bigger girls). Our players should not be "learning defense," but practice on executing, based on the next team we play. Sorry for the ramble and rant, but sometimes when I see such obvious things, I get going.🤣🤣

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

• Love
In that they are both not good.

3 combined rebounds for them tonight. Not acceptable and won’t get it done against a good team
Just remember that Brandshaw has played a whole 4 games in his career. Big men take time to be good usually, Ugo as well. They will continue to get better. Bradshaw has shown flashes. Ugo looks way better out there in his limited minutes.

They need to work on rebounding sure but give me the makeup of this years team versus the "rebounding" bigs we've had in years past anyway of the week. Many ways to skin a cat. This year's team is good at way more things than they are bad at.
I think we will play different against a team that has a big. If Bradshaw was back against Kansas, I think he would have played more down low in that game.

If your goal is a title, I don't see the point of recruiting a finesse "big" who does not want to be in college. AB could be a Naz Reid type in 2-3 years but has a long way to go. Unless Edwards makes huge stride the strength of the team is playing 3 guards. Ugo fits better as a rim runner and defender.
Yeah. Bradshaw was a weird recruit. He looks like he'd be an Anthony Davis type. But he's really a stretch 5 who likes to float around the outside.

Reactions: qwesley
In Cal's mind, this means he'll think we should play Ugo at the 5 and Bradshaw at the 4.

The big guys never post up when a team has a 5 star like Bradshaw you would think a coach would have him posting up more but seems like Ky comes down and shoots the 3 is their offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT