ADVERTISEMENT

Our big guys are a problem

There’s things to work on but let’s not complain until we start losing games because of those issues. Let’s enjoy the wins and hope they improve in areas

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
I noticed that we are quick to shoot on offense … bigs set high screens and the shot is often put up before they can get back down low and into rebounding position.

Last edited:
They need to work on rebounding sure but give me the makeup of this years team versus the "rebounding" bigs we've had in years past anyway of the week. Many ways to skin a cat. This year's team is good at way more things than they are bad at.
Oh yeah, for sure. Just saying three rebounds out of two seven footers is bad.

We are going to need them at some point in a game against a team that has a good big.

Bradshaw is a twig. Anyone who didn't think he'd struggle with physicality in college wasn't paying attention. They are also both behind because of injury. Gotta give them some time to find their fits in live game situations. They do both show some signs defensively of being close though.

Yeah just not being physical enough. Bradshaw in his first full game really impressed me, but has struggles since. Another issue they have is they are getting abused by guys taking them down low and backing in. Out of position, just letting their man dictate the play, and the one that has me most aggravated is going for every ball fake. Got so.e work to do with the bigs and overall defense in general.

I’m getting the sense that Bradshaw is saving it for big games. And for the record, I don’t like that. The switch doesn’t always turn on. Good on Cal for sending the message though, the effort wasn’t there so he only saw 15 minutes of game action. Need him engaged and running the floor for 20-25 minutes a game.

I was screaming the whole game about poor positioning by our bigs on the defensive end and just all-around lack of effort. You can teach positioning but what about effort? Sorry, I didn't see a lot of that tonight.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Bradshaw missed an ugly layup attempt because he was trying to avoid contact with a dude 6” shorter than him instead of just dunking on his head. Smh
That was exactly what I was thinking. "WHY DON'T YOU DUNK THAT?!"

The type of thing you see in every HS highlight tape (i.e., try to tear the rim off), but they don't do in college. That was there for the taking.

That was exactly what I was thinking. "WHY DON'T YOU DUNK THAT?!"

The type of thing you see in every HS highlight tape (i.e., try to tear the rim off), but they don't do in college. That was there for the taking.
Even that first fga from Ugo was some kind of weak, underhand scoop lay-up thing where he never got the ball extended over his head. Unacceptable

Mitchell was the 5 out there for significant minutes, and I liked it. But for UK to be a legit title contender, they have to have ONE of the 7'-ers become a strong post presence.
We do not really need them as a post presence to score. Really, our need for them is dependent upon the makeup of the opponent. It would be good to have one against teams who are strong around the rim. NBA teams will operate like this. They have a token 5 who plays mostly when the opponent has a strong inside presence. Teams used to bring on bigs just to have in case they had to go against Shaq in the playoffs lol

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We do not really need them as a post presence to score. Really, our need for them is dependent upon the makeup of the opponent. It would be good to have one against teams who are strong around the rim. NBA teams will operate like this. They have a token 5 who plays mostly when the opponent has a strong inside presence. Teams used to bring on bigs just to have in case they had to go against Shaq in the playoffs lol
Disagree a bit. We need a rim protector in every game no matter the opponent. Erase mistakes guards make letting guys get by them. I get what you are saying g though and can see your point of view.

Bradshaw just seemed slow and out of sorts. Not like prior games.
Bradshaw seemed out of it against Louisville too. Thought it was more Huntley-Hatfield but I don't know. He may just need more time. Would like to see him protect the rim more. He's not really even protecting the rim much. Ugonna is at least doing that.

Reactions: HYTCHYE ISLAND
Disagree a bit. We need a rim protector in every game no matter the opponent. Erase mistakes guards make letting guys get by them. I get what you are saying g though and can see your point of view.
That would be nice, but playing a rim protecting big takes away from other aspects. For one, it means less minutes for Mitchell at the 5 playing as a stretch 5 on offense and less minutes for Thiero at the 4.

In some games, maybe most, the Mitchell and Thiero combo would be superior based on the opponent.

The other games, trading Mitchell’s offensive skill at the 5 for better defending inside the paint would be better if the opponent is adept in that area.

The 7’ have had 20 practices and 8 games played between them total for the season. Not concerned at all unless the same rebounding problem remains in effect a month from now. The refs tonight let Illinois St players bull rush during blockouts. Burks even got a called for a foul when it happened to him in second half. Don’t think Cal minded tonight as it will give him something to harp on in this weeks practice. Florida’s frontline is similar to ours so should be a good battle inside next week.

It would help tremendously if they would just BLOCK OUT!!!

We give up a lot of rebounds by simply not getting a BUTT on someone.
I have been saying Bradshaw doesn't like contact, that is why his handlers want him to play forward, but he can't shoot well enough for that. His play thus far backs this up. Just another reason this team needs big z

• Haha
Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT