ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Worst college sport rule ever - UK softball

bthaunert

All-American
Apr 4, 2007
SIAP...Not sure how many of you saw this, but UK softball scored 3 runs in the top of the inning the take a 7-4 lead over Texas. Texas had 2 outs and an 0-2 count on their batter in the bottom of the inning, but the clock hit 3:30pm, which had been determined prior to the game as a travel day drop-dead time, so the game immediately stopped and since the inning was not completed (1 pitch from completion), the score resorted back to what it was prior to the inning, which was 4-4 and is officially a tie.

What a terrible rule

Shoulda pitched faster i guess.

But yes, dumb rule.

giphy.gif

SIAP...Not sure how many of you saw this, but UK softball scored 3 runs in the top of the inning the take a 7-4 lead over Texas. Texas had 2 outs and an 0-2 count on their batter in the bottom of the inning, but the clock hit 3:30pm, which had been determined prior to the game as a travel day drop-dead time, so the game immediately stopped and since the inning was not completed (1 pitch from completion), the score resorted back to what it was prior to the inning, which was 4-4 and is officially a tie.

What a terrible rule

Sounds like UK scored too many runs in the top half of the inning.

What a terrible rule
Any truth about UT pulling a stunt to delay the game so the clock would run over?

Any truth about UT pulling a stunt to delay the game so the clock would run over?
That I’m not sure about, but if you know you only have a few minutes and virtually impossible to score 3 runs in that timeframe, you 100% pull out all the tricks to delay the game.

Reactions: EliteBlue
I played that rule once in little league. I was catching and we were up a couple runs with 2 outs and the bottom of the order was up. There was another inning to play that I didn't want to risk and you couldn't start a new inning with less than 10 minutes left. I asked the ump how much time was left and he said 2 minutes. I said I will be back in 2 minutes and went to talk to the pitcher. He told me to take my time. My coach even asked what I was talking to the pitcher about. That was little league though.

What a terrible rule
This day and age I'm not surprised....

That’s wild. I’ve seen drop dead rules growing up but they were always applied by finishing the inning…the drop dead time just meant that was the final inning but a literal has to stop this second.

I played that rule once in little league. I was catching and we were up a couple runs with 2 outs and the bottom of the order was up. There was another inning to play that I didn't want to risk and you couldn't start a new inning with less than 10 minutes left. I asked the ump how much time was left and he said 2 minutes. I said I will be back in 2 minutes and went to talk to the pitcher. He told me to take my time. My coach even asked what I was talking to the pitcher about. That was little league though.
My daughter's softball coach would have hand signals for the girls to call time to tie their shoes and such. Time wasters. If they were down, they would leave base early and get called out to start a new inning.

My daughter's softball coach would have hand signals for the girls to call time to tie their shoes and such. Time wasters. If they were down, they would leave base early and get called out to start a new inning.
Very sporting.

Reactions: chroix
😳😳

Yes, read an article that he did all he could the last 15 minutes of the game why UK was still batting after getting up by 3. Visit to pitchers mound, return to dugout, then 20 seconds later before the next pitch is thrown returns to mound and changes pitcher. Runner for UK seemingly intentionally gets out to end the inning. They were in extra innings so Texas started with a runner at 2nd. Batter 1 flys out. Batter 2 after taking one pitch has a meeting with coach who appears to pretend to be giving her drops in her eyes. Girl ultimately walks. Batter 3 gets to a 1-2 count with about 3:00 left before time expires. Coach decides he needs a pinch runner at 2nd base. Batter 3 strikes out. Batter 4 gets to a 1-2 count with less than a minute remaining down to last strike, Coach decides he needs a pinch runner on first base and time expires before another pitch is thrown. Game over—-TIE!!!

I remember playing in a softball game that was running late. The ump said he wouldn’t start another inning with under 5 minutes left in the time slot.

We were down 3 runs with 1 out nobody on base bottom of our order with 7 minutes. We intentionally made 2 quick outs and got to start the next inning. Ended up winning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT