ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UK Baseball #3 in the nation

Best start ever in program history. Nick is doing a wonderful job with the program. I’m pretty sure next weekend it’s a battle with the # 1 team Arkansas is what I just heard on KSR.
Actually Arkansas dropped to number 2 after losing the series to Bama. A&M is number 1.

I know all the hype is around the basketball team right now, but this baseball team is something special. They deserve support from ALL of BBN.

Wow all the SEC teams that’s sitting at the top going to be some tough series coming up. Go Bat Cats!!

We've never had a run like this. We have 1 SEC loss.
Didn’t say it was to this level. Just that I hope it sustains. We’ve had too 25 appearances that took a nose dive. Here’s to this sustaining and us being legitimate CWS contenders and breaking through that SEC glass ceiling to join the upper echelon. KPP was a major step in legitimizing the program and we have everything in place now to be a big time baseball school….especially given that KY is a baseball state from the HS talent production standpoint.

We get Tennessee, Arkansas, and Vandy at home this year. The schedule works out perfectly.

I’ll hold judgement until after this Tennessee series, but no matter the opponents, this has been an absolute turnaround stellar year for mingione.

To be honest I thought if he had another bad year or two he’d be shown the door.

We do need a change in softball though if we want to be competitive. Conference play only gets exponentially harder now with Texas and Oklahoma

Reactions: KYExtemper
I’ll hold judgement until after this Tennessee series, but no matter the opponents, this has been an absolute turnaround stellar year for mingione.

To be honest I thought if he had another bad year or two he’d be shown the door.

We do need a change in softball though if we want to be competitive. Conference play only gets exponentially harder now with Texas and Oklahoma

We made a super regional last year. These past 2 years have been pretty successful.

We made a super regional last year. These past 2 years have been pretty successful.

I don’t disagree. Just looking at the overall big picture. Kind of a shit or get off the pot type of thing. I think any coach who has been somewhere for 8-10 years and hasn’t made a WS should be shown the door.
Don’t have to win it but you better be there at some point

I don’t disagree. Just looking at the overall big picture. Kind of a shit or get off the pot type of thing. I think any coach who has been somewhere for 8-10 years and hasn’t made a WS should be shown the door.
Don’t have to win it but you better be there at some point

Looking like we will host a super this year if we get out of our 4 team regional. We will host our regional too.

Reactions: Jakerz
Kentucky is doing this not only in the best conference in college baseball, but in one of the strongest years in the SEC. LSU and Florida are major programs and are struggling. You win the SEC regular season or tournament this season and you have already accomplished something amazing.

Best start ever in program history. Nick is doing a wonderful job with the program. I’m pretty sure next weekend it’s a battle with the # 1 team Arkansas is what I just heard on KSR.
We're 35 games into this hot start, I think still going strong well after the midway point is a good sign. Can we eclips the 45 win record set in 2012?

Next week (i.e. not this coming weekend but the following), we are AT South Carolina. The weekend after that we are home against ARk. Ark has been #1 all year but was dropped in favor of A&M after the pigs lost a series in Tuscaloosa. Blockbuster matchup either way.

Kentucky is doing this not only in the best conference in college baseball, but in one of the strongest years in the SEC. LSU and Florida are major programs and are struggling. You win the SEC regular season or tournament this season and you have already accomplished something amazing.
I will never apologize for any 14-1 SEC record, but I disagree that this is a strong year for the conference. It's very strong at the top with A&M, Ark, UK, and UT as good as anyone. The next tier is good with Vandy, Bama, and UGA.

After that, there is a lot of yuck. LSU and Auburn are awful. Florida is terribly disappointing. Mizzou is bad (though competitive on the weekends even after they lost a ton of OOC games). Ole Miss is a shell of what it was two years ago when they won the title.

IT will always be good and it's often great, but I think this is an average year for the conference with a lot of the traditional powers down on their luck.

ACC is pretty dang good too.

Winning SEC tourney is a crap shoot with so many tough games so close together.

Can anyone explain to me how we aren’t the top ranked SEC team right now though? If SC, LSU, UT had our same start they would be. Seems to be purely preseason rankings holding and program historical reputation similar to football always being an uphill battle and UK just now starting to get a little benefit of doubt

We have no SEC slouches left. A big drop off puts hosting Super in jeopardy imo. 8-7 rest of way would lock it. 5-10 ????
Yes, we can still host a super if we finish 5-10 (though obviously we want more). That would put us at 19 SEC wins and still a very high RPI. Last year, we had only 16 SEC wins and were the 12 seed.

Can anyone explain to me how we aren’t the top ranked SEC team right now though? If SC, LSU, UT had our same start they would be. Seems to be purely preseason rankings holding and program historical reputation similar to football always being an uphill battle and UK just now starting to get a little benefit of doubt

Sure. It's a combination of things:

1). You're right, preseason expectations. UK had none and these other teams had lots.
2). Schedule: UK has some good wins, and has a bunch of sweeps. But, A&M sweeping Vandy is loud.
3). Schedule imbalance: Not all schedules are equal in these super conferences. I would argue that A&M has played the toughest SEC schedule of the top 4-5 contenders (they played @USC, @UF, Vandy at home), but I would argue that UK has played the second toughest (our sweeps of UGA and Bama supersede anything that UT and Arkansas have done, plus ARky and UT both lost their series to Bama).

IMO, A&M should be #1, but UK should be the second ranked SEC team based on results.

I wouldn't worry about it much, as all of this will be handled in the next few weeks. All of the big dogs start to play one another.

1). You're right, preseason expectations. UK had none and these other teams had lots.
2). Schedule: UK has some good wins, and has a bunch of sweeps. But, A&M sweeping Vandy is loud.
3). Schedule imbalance: Not all schedules are equal in these super conferences. I would argue that A&M has played the toughest SEC schedule of the top 4-5 contenders (they played @USC, @UF, Vandy at home), but I would argue that UK has played the second toughest (our sweeps of UGA and Bama supersede anything that UT and Arkansas have done, plus ARky and UT both lost their series to Bama).

IMO, A&M should be #1, but UK should be the second ranked SEC team based on results.

I wouldn't worry about it much, as all of this will be handled in the next few weeks. All of the big dogs start to play one another.
Appreciate the well thought out response.

I know the game of baseball but I don’t follow the intricacies of college baseball dynamics nationally the way I do with football and basketball. So it’s nice to get detailed answers from those who track it the way I track the other sports.

Appreciate the well thought out response.

I know the game of baseball but I don’t follow the intricacies of college baseball dynamics nationally the way I do with football and basketball. So it’s nice to get detailed answers from those who track it the way I track the other sports.
No problem. I love college baseball (though I love it more now that UK is good). The SEC gets a lot of advantages (e.g. hosting opportunities) b/c it's the best conference, so if UK takes care of business, we will be in great shape to host a super for the first time in school history.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Really hope they can keep the momentum. We’ve had a few hot starts in the past that crumbled down the stretch. Would love a legit post season run into CWS

This isn't a hot start like in the past. In the past those were situations where the team played a horrible OOC schedule and SEC play brought them back to earth. This day l year they played a decent OOC schedule and have already played half the SEC schedule with just 1 loss. Typically the magic number to make the NCAA tournament is 15 wins in the league. UK currently has 14. They're all but guaranteed a spot. From here, every win above 15 gets you closer to hosting a regional and possibly a super regional. Even if we only win 1 game in each of the remaining series, we are hosting a regional and are on the cusp of a top 8 seed and getting the right to host a super.

This team is legit. They're not hiding behind a weak schedule and they have actually turned it up a ton during league play.

This isn't a hot start like in the past. In the past those were situations where the team played a horrible OOC schedule and SEC play brought them back to earth. This day l year they played a decent OOC schedule and have already played half the SEC schedule with just 1 loss. Typically the magic number to make the NCAA tournament is 15 wins in the league. UK currently has 14. They're all but guaranteed a spot. From here, every win above 15 gets you closer to hosting a regional and possibly a super regional. Even if we only win 1 game in each of the remaining series, we are hosting a regional and are on the cusp of a top 8 seed and getting the right to host a super.

This team is legit. They're not hiding behind a weak schedule and they have actually turned it up a ton during league play.
Great points. It's amazing b/c our lineup is hitting a lot BETTER since SEC plays starts. Nicholson and Waldy were not hitting like this in the preseason, but now they're blasting homers left and right.

Frankly, the only weak spots in the lineup are McCoy and (to a lesser extent) burkes. But, I trust Devon to get it going when push comes to shove.

Reactions: K86

Everything you said is true. If we keep winning, we will get the credit we deserve.

Reactions: K86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT