ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Shootings on I-75 Near London

This a certain tragedy.
It makes college sports look irrelevant.
They aren't irrelevant, but there are things bigger than them. We have sports for the same reason we have art, and music, and all kinds of other things.

1. To pass the time and have a little fun before we die.
2. To celebrate the human spirit and body.
3. To come together with fellow like minded people and have community and belonging.

That's why we have these things, and often times, we lose sight of why. We have sports and music and art and cooking because they are welcome distractions from death, disease, war, terror, hate, etc.

It's when we have stuff like this happen that we need to remember we are all very human. And very fallible. And ultimately, very fragile.

I like UK sports because, even when we suck like today, I don't think about the family I've lost. Or the problems in my personal life. For just a small moment, it's a welcome distraction.

Sadly, some people today aren't going to be able to enjoy those welcome distractions with us anymore. And even for the perpetrator, their life is now over as well. We are all defined by our choices as they are a reflection of who we are. We all need to do better. And be kinder.

WTF is wrong with people?
We live in a very broken world right now. And not just spiratually. There's too much anger and hate and dogma. Too much derision and unfortunately, not enough kindness and understanding. We take everything either too seriously (like college rivalries) or not seriously enough (mass shootings).

We've just forgotten who we are and what we're supposed to be.

We live in a very broken world right now. And not just spiratually. There's too much anger and hate and dogma. Too much derision and unfortunately, not enough kindness and understanding. We take everything either too seriously (like college rivalries) or not seriously enough (mass shootings).

We've just forgotten who we are and what we're supposed to be.

Well some have, that's for sure

They aren't irrelevant, but there are things bigger than them. We have sports for the same reason we have art, and music, and all kinds of other things.

3. To come together with fellow like minded people and have community and belonging.

That's why we have these things, and often times, we lose sight of why. We have sports and music and art and cooking because they are welcome distractions from death, disease, war, terror, hate, etc.

It's when we have stuff like this happen that we need to remember we are all very human. And very fallible. And ultimately, very fragile.

I like UK sports because, even when we suck like today, I don't think about the family I've lost. Or the problems in my personal life. For just a small moment, it's a welcome distraction.

Sadly, some people today aren't going to be able to enjoy those welcome distractions with us anymore. And even for the perpetrator, their life is now over as well. We are all defined by our choices as they are a reflection of who we are. We all need to do better. And be kinder.
Very well said

Wife on social media hearing there are 4 active shooters with police scanners shooting at anything or anyone just awful no matter what is real

Last edited:

Excellent post, as most of yours are!

We inherited sports mostly from the English, and it serves as both a distraction, but also a strange confirmation of our wealth, security and power: if I have the time, energy and resources to actually care about who wins a child’s game tossing an inflated ball around, I am surely better off than many folks in the world.

In high school, the “middle-class” kids participated in sports, wore school colors and UK stuff. The real poor kids (in my county, almost all white kids) would make fun of organized sports and openly question their importance. Now much older, I realize that many of those less fortunate were dealing with very serious issues at an early age . . . some had already taken over as quasi parents, substituting for their drunk/stoned/missing parents, and were caring for younger siblings.

I worried about the score of the game, whilst some worried about getting food for their little brothers and sisters.

I was “true to my school.” Others were torn daily between loyalty to failing parents and the need to provide for and protect their younger siblings. Mix in closely related instances of physical and sexual abuse, and the near bitterness of some of the less privileged toward the world of sports becomes understandable.

Last edited:
Reactions: gojvc
We inherited sports mostly from the English, and it serves as both a distraction, but also a strange confirmation of our wealth, security and power: if I have the time, energy and resources to actually care about who wins a child’s game tossing an inflated ball around, I am surely better off than many folks in the world.

In high school, the “middle-class” kids participated in sports, wore school colors and UK stuff. The real poor kids (in my county, almost all white kids) would make fun of organized sports and openly question their importance. Now much older, I realize that many of those less fortunate were dealing with very serious issues at an early age . . . some had already taken over as quasi parents, substituting for their drunk/stoned/missing parents, and were caring for younger siblings.

I worried about the score of the game, whilst some worried about getting food for their little brothers and sisters.

I was “true to my school.” Others were torn daily between loyalty to failing parents and the need to provide for and protect their younger siblings. Mix in closely related instances of physical and sexual abuse, and the near bitterness of some of the less privileged toward the world of sports becomes understandable.
No doubt. And I am aware it could always be worse. Hence I said, while not irrelevant, there are certainly things bigger than it. I'm also not oblivious to "bread and circuses" either. But, I'm a third generation UK fan. I can't help but love our Cats.

. I can't help but love our Cats.

Maybe half my clothes are Blue: the button down shirts I wear for work are 80 percent blue-stripped, so I don’t have to think about it much on game days. All my winter coats are UK gear.

I have like 5 UK related ties.

I have it as bad as anyone, but learned from a friend two decades ago that I will give a loss only one-hour to upset me.

And it works!!

In my case I blessed myself with the sign of the cross anytime I shot a free throw . In retrospect I don’t think God really cares who won any high school basketball games .

Maybe half my clothes are Blue: the button down shirts I wear for work are 80 percent blue-stripped, so I don’t have to think about it much on game days. All my winter coats are UK gear.

I have like 5 UK related ties.

I have it as bad as anyone, but learned from a friend two decades ago that I will give a loss only one-hour to upset me.

And it works!!
For football, yeah, it only bothers me for the night.

For basketball?

Reg season loss in SEC (excluding UT)? Couple of hours tops.
Reg seaon loss to UofL, Duke, UT, KU, UNC? 24 hours.
Post season loss? 24-36 hours.
Season ending loss? Ugh. Still bothers me for like a week. I have to mourn it.

In my case I blessed myself with the sign of the cross anytime I shot a free throw . In retrospect I don’t think God really cares who won any high school basketball games .
I'm a Christian man, but I do like to have my humor about the Father (because I hope He has one, otherwise we are all in trouble).
I used to joke, sometimes to little amusement, that what if both teams pray to win? Does it go to the best team prayer?

That actually used to upset some people in high school sports, lol.
That being said, I still pray for our Cats ahead of big games. We need all the help we can get!

Reactions: The-Hack
They are still looking for the guy (or multiple shooters). I'm listening to the scanner and there are reports of suspects being in Knox County and also more shots fired in Laurel County.

They are still looking for the guy (or multiple shooters). I'm listening to the scanner and there are reports of suspects being in Knox County and also more shots fired in Laurel County. According to the scanner the guy bought an AR 15 this morning and 2000 rounds of ammo.

JMHO but someone (eh, hmm, the Governor) should come out and state the facts. We have MJ reporting what Mayor stated, "road rage incident" and many other reports stating he fired from a sniper position. Those are two totally different things and two totally different mindsets quite frankly.

Reactions: JumperJack
I don't know if y'all follow the news but London Kentucky Laurel County is literally on the news everyday for something. It goes Lexington, Louisville and then Laurel County when it comes to news and crime. The problem is Laurel County is like a 20th the size of those cities.
Hell this year you can make a case more shits happen Laurel County than any other County in the whole state.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT