ADVERTISEMENT

OT RIP Don Gullett

Geez, only 73. Way before my time was his playing career but remember has a kid he was a long-time pitching coach.

Nearly pitched a complete game in a win for the Reds in Game 5 of the 1975 World Series vs the Red Sox and won Game 1 of the 1976 World Series against the Yankees before winning a 3rd Championship this time as a Yankee. Spent 24 seasons in the Reds organization as a player, pitching coach and minor league coordinator. Was a legend in Kentucky High School sports, once scored 11 TDs in one game vs Wurtland HS and kicked 6 of the extra points. Pitched a perfect game in HS with 21 strikeouts in the game.

My all time favorite Reds pitcher. A big part of The Big Red Machine. Saw him pitch at Riverfront several times. RIP
What was so intriguing about him to me is that he was a relatively little guy vs. the 6-4/6 monsters out there today. Saying he was 6' is stretching it in my opinion & slender to boot.

Reactions: ftp000
Big Red Machine was every bit equally exciting as any Cat BBall team I've witnessed in over 60 years. Those were the good ole days by god
I'm not sure the year, '72 or '75, but the Reds were a few games behind the Dodgers around June 1. One of the BRM stars said, "The Dodgers are in first place chasing us." Hilarious & true.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT