ADVERTISEMENT

OT: One of the worst announcing gaffes youll ever hear.

I can understand how that mistake was made, because I kinda did the same thing. When I saw the name Kevin Porter Jr., I first assumed he must be the son of the former NBA player.

But, then, Iā€™m not employed as an NBA announcer. The dude shouldā€™ve done his homework before assuming on the air.

勒åøƒęœ—č©¹å§†ę–Æę˜Æꈑēš„é“å¾·ęŒ‡å—é’ˆ

holy shit lol ... what exactly did he mean by that? :)

The other comment that was sort of goofy is "a well drawn up play" is a dude shooting a contested 3pt bomb with a guy right on him. But in today's b-ball...that is what is deemed a good play I suppose

Where was Lebron involved here? I'm being serious maybe I missed something in the tweet
Itā€™s in the article.

A couple hours before Consor's apology, LeBron James tweeted about the incident: "Oh he thought this was cool huh!!?? Nah we ainā€™t going for this! Sorry but this ainā€™t going to fly! How insensitive can you be to say something like this. Beat it man! I pray for you but thereā€™s no place in our beautiful game for you!"

I can respect LBJs game. And I donā€™t mind him that much. And granted itā€™s before Consor apologizes for a pretty innocent mistakeā€¦.but James shot his mouth off assuming it was intentional and an attack. On something he wasnā€™t even remotely involved in. Consort Will probably now lose his job because James makes assumptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Col. Angus
Dude apologies but LeBron has to make it all about him.
LeBron has an ego the size of the Pacific. He thinks itā€™s his job to stick his nose in everything under the sun. Itā€™s the reason I canā€™t stand him. No one cares what he thinks. Heā€™s a damned basketball player, not a Rhodes scholar. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but he thinks his is the gold standard and shouldnā€™t be questioned by anyone. Heā€™s one of the worldā€™s biggest narcissists.

I wish todayā€™s outrage machine would get better at assessing intent. This was a dumb mistake, but it was also an innocent mistake. He thought his dad was someone else (so did I).

He deserves to be mocked for it, but he does not deserve to be fired or have his life wrecked. Dial it back, Lebron.

Last edited:
Reactions: BourbonBalz
I wish todayā€™s outrage machine would get better at assessing intent. This was a dumb mistake, but it was also an innocent mistake. He mistakenly thought his dad was someone else (so did I when I first saw the name).

He deserves to be mocked for it, but he doesnā€™t deserve to be fired or have his life destroyed.
Well you know, cancel culture and all. It unfortunately seems to be the law of the land now. I prefer the old adage ā€œlet he who is without sin cast the first stoneā€. But thatā€™s just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: westerncat
Where was Lebron involved here? I'm being serious maybe I missed something in the tweet
it's was in the tweet stream and here is just one news headlinle

Wizards announcer under fire for Kevin Porter Jr. remark, LeBron James calls for his job​

LeBron has an ego the size of the Pacific. He thinks itā€™s his job to stick his nose in everything under the sun. Itā€™s the reason I canā€™t stand him. No one cares what he thinks. Heā€™s a damned basketball player, not a Rhodes scholar. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but he thinks his is the gold standard and shouldnā€™t be questioned by anyone. Heā€™s one of the worldā€™s biggest narcissists.
bingo

He is also a the definition of a race baiter

A. I live in DC and went to a Wizard's game with my son just last Friday. So I know a little about their team. I also thought Kevin Porter Jr. was the son of Kevin Porter - roughly right age to be, and the original KP played in Washington back when I was first in the area in the 1980s. So its pretty easy to believe this was an innocent mistake.

B. I'd guess virtually no one outside a couple Wizards beat writers who heard the remark real time even knew his father was convicted of shooting to death a teenage girl. So its a "controversy" entirely created by the media.

C. It's pretty bizarre, but also pretty telling that in LeBron's world its worse to make an innocent gaffe involving someone's horrific act of killing a teenage girl than it is to actually be a violent criminal who killed the girl, then died himself in a gunfight in a bar.

This. ā€œI pray for you, butā€¦..I hope you lose your job and stuffā€¦.ā€

Ainā€™t a dang one of us perfect but woosah this I gonna help you while actively trying ruin you stuff is just wrong.
He did the same thing in April when he tweeted ā€œyouā€™re nextā€, directed at the cop who shot Maā€™khia Bryant. Soon after, the shooting was totally justified & the tweet was deleted. He once again shot off his mouth before having ANY facts & went looking for somebody to cancel. He should stick to faking hate crimes & learn to just STFU til he knows the full story. Iā€™ve always assumed Kevin Porter, Jr was the son of Kevin Porter from the 70s & 80s, too.

Well you know, cancel culture and all. It unfortunately seems to be the law of the land now. I prefer the old adage ā€œlet he who casts the first stone be without sinā€. But thatā€™s just me.
Tbf, thereā€™s some things that have been said by some media folks that is just plain wrong and highly stupid/offensive. And itā€™s come from both sides of the political spectrum. But a lot of this is getting waaaaay out of hand.

Last edited:
I wish todayā€™s outrage machine would get better at assessing intent. This was a dumb mistake, but it was also an innocent mistake. He thought his dad was someone else (so did I).

He deserves to be mocked for it, but he does not deserve to be fired or have his life wrecked. Dial it back, Lebron.
What's worse are the people who ACKNOWLEDGE it was a mistake and still want him fired. Say his job is to know about the players, he didn't do his homework, and that led to this mistake. And that that is bad enough that he should lose his job.

What's worse are the people who ACKNOWLEDGE it was a mistake and still want him fired. Say his job is to know about the players, he didn't do his homework, and that led to this mistake. And that that is bad enough that he should lose his job.
If it was his like 5th or 6th gaffe, then I can see that. But apparently this is not the case.

We live in an execution society these days.

Reactions: westerncat
And heā€™s quite stupid. Stupid and arrogant are a dangerous combination.

Reactions: BourbonBalz
holy shit lol ... what exactly did he mean by that? :)
Porter's father, Bryan Kevin Porter Sr., spent 4 1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty to first-degree manslaughter in the 1993 shooting death of a 14-year-old girl. In 2004, Porter Jr. was 4 when his father was shot multiple times and killed after trying to help a woman who was being attacked in a Seattle bar. So obviously any comment about Porter's father "pulling the trigger" is both tasteless and unprofessional.

I copied and pasted this from a news article.

Last edited:
Porter's father, Bryan Kevin Porter Sr., spent 4 1/2 years in prison after pleading guilty to first-degree manslaughter in the 1993 shooting death of a 14-year-old girl. In 2004, Porter Jr. was 4 when his father was shot multiple times and killed after trying to help a woman who was being attacked in a Seattle bar. So obviously any comment about Porter's father "pulling the trigger" is both tasteless and unprofessional.
And it was a complete accident and he apologized.

But he didnā€™t know any of that, so there was no intent to make a ā€œtasteless and unprofessionalā€ comment. He thought his dad was an entirely different Kevin Porter, so did I and many others.

Understandable but extremely unfortunate error. What were the odds that 1) two NBA players had the same exact name, with one being Jr and 2) the actual father was also convicted of killing someone. That's a crazy terrible coincidence.

People rush way too fast to judge on mistakes. Intent should be the question. If it was an honest mistake, let it go with the right apology because you might be the next one making such a mistake.

A. I live in DC and went to a Wizard's game with my son just last Friday. So I know a little about their team. I also thought Kevin Porter Jr. was the son of Kevin Porter - roughly right age to be, and the original KP played in Washington back when I was first in the area in the 1980s. So its pretty easy to believe this was an innocent mistake.

B. I'd guess virtually no one outside a couple Wizards beat writers who heard the remark real time even knew his father was convicted of shooting to death a teenage girl. So its a "controversy" entirely created by the media.

C. It's pretty bizarre, but also pretty telling that in LeBron's world its worse to make an innocent gaffe involving someone's horrific act of killing a teenage girl than it is to actually be a violent criminal who killed the girl, then died himself in a gunfight in a bar.
I still don't know who his dad is/was OR who the guy that killed a girl was. Maybe if it happened less often these things would stick. Or maybe all of these are simple misunderstandings, but there are benefits to division..

At what point does this end? "How dare you say 'shoot'?" How far do we have to drop before we realize the lowest common denominator is running the situation?

Dude made a mistake. God forbid.

Pretty bad. My disdain for KPJ aside, that's inexcusable.
Why is this ā€œinexcusableā€œ?

Consor, on Twitter, said Thursday he mistakenly thought Porter was the son of the former NBA player who played several seasons in Washington in the 1970s and early 80s.
"I have reached out to Kevin to personally apologize and hope to be able to talk to him soon."

Reactions: Crayfish57 and UK90
Why is this ā€œinexcusableā€œ?

Consor, on Twitter, said Thursday he mistakenly thought Porter was the son of the former NBA player who played several seasons in Washington in the 1970s and early 80s.
"I have reached out to Kevin to personally apologize and hope to be able to talk to him soon."

Yeah I don't think this information was really brought to light when I made the original post, at 1pm today. Seems like this really was just a misunderstanding, although, this guy really should have done his homework a little better

Thank you for that. I just disagreed with your last sentence.

Ignorance or a mistake is understandable. It sounded to me like his dad was a good shooter in the league. Virginia ears I suppose.
Sorry none of what was written is mine. I copied and posted it from a news article. Iā€™ve added that part now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT