ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Mobsters approached Vandy QB to fix games

I don’t doubt there is shady stuff that goes one behind the scenes, but this one seems a little far fetched. A waste of money to ask Vandy’s backup qb to fix a game.

This guy is full of shit. Do you know how much money someone would have to bet to win a large amount of money if you’re going to pay him $300,000 to throw a game. Vegas would stop all bets on the Vandy games and they also have limits on how much you can bet.

many years ago a friend of mine who played for Vanderbilt was lucky enough to be drafted into the NFL.

He was telling me he'd get calls - they start out softer - like offering to pay money for your team scouting report including who was injured - any insider information on specific plays, whatever. He believed that once they got you there, they'd hook you to go deeper.

They are not dumb enough to draw that much attention with huge bets. So several bets all over. In addition, you can bet a modest amount and parlay multiple corrupted games and win big sums.

Ask the rooferee. He can break it down for you and explain how much refs get.

Reactions: Lost In FL
Not buying it. I absolutely believe at least a few games are getting fixed. I absolutely don't believe the mob would approach someone in such a public place with cameras everywhere

So the Italian Mobsters got key Intel on when the backup QB for Vandy would be at a certain bar???

Noted Yup GIF - Noted Yup George Costanza GIFs

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Dncmaxwell
Lmao at the idea of being the 2nd string QB at Vandy and having Al Capone approach you and say it's your responsibility to go beat Alabama.

Lmao at the idea of being the 2nd string QB at Vandy and having Al Capone approach you and say it's your responsibility to go beat Alabama.
Like Mike-D was explaining you don't have to fix the game to win, just fix it so you don't beat the spread. If the spread was large it's possible the backup QB got in the game and caused a TO which would be quite easy to do.

I have no idea if this story is factually but it is feasible.

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
I did the same thing when I played Michael Jordan 1 on 1. I told the mob I'd throw the game if they paid me.... I let Jordan beat 21 to 0.

Reactions: UK90
I don’t know if he’s making this up for attention or if he actually did have this conversation in a bar, but with someone posing or pulling his leg instead of an actual mafioso, but this is very difficult story to take at face value.

It just doesn’t make any sense from a business perspective to approach a backup QB who threw 17 passes in two years with that kind of an offer. Even if they intended to have him manipulate the spread rather than the win/loss outcome, him getting on the field with a chance to make or break the bet is an insanely specific scenario that depends on a lot of moving parts up to that point. It just doesn’t seem like it would be a very good use of $300k.

Reactions: Deeeefense
As the majority have said, how was he going to have any effect on the score? As a clip board holder about all he could do would be signal the play to other sideline.

I don’t know how plausible the story is, but let’s assume it’s true. It would actually make the most sense to try and get to a bench warmer. They’re more likely to let some cash sway them.

Just sink your claws in anywhere you can get it and then work the kid/expand your influence like a cancer cell. There’s more than one way to influence a game than having someone throw an intentional pick or fumble at an inopportune time. My uneducated guess is that when shady characters decide to influence sports outcomes, it’s more about the character of the target than their position on the team.

At best the guy is probably heavily embellishing the story but who knows.

Reactions: Dirt Sammich
Two very low level players on any team can beat the spread of any College football game. The Long Snapper and the Holder. Either can keep points off the board, and no one even looks at them. I assume our snapper was not on the take two seasons ago, but just look at all of the points we didn't score on extra points and field goals from bad snaps that year. Then add in the snaps over the punters head.

Was the Backup QB at Vandy the Holder?

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
Yeah, if by fix he means he gave some guys tips like injured player, locker room beef, heard so and so from other team is mad at a WR because girls be locker hopping, etc...great...vegas has all that info plus way more CIA intelligence briefing level info, and so does The Lair.

Sounds like a good bar story to me. "So, there I was boys, QB for Vandy, at a honky tonk in Nashville and some cats approach me..."

To actually play and throw a game, highly unlikely. We would have heard about it before now. Vegas would have shut that shit down and called it out quickly.

Billy Walters interview on Joe Rogan. Dude essentially says the times few and far between that real deal funny business happens, it's vegas and gamblers that spot it and rat it out before joe public because that's their product and tainted product doesn't sell.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT