ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jordan Love and Tua make BANK

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Love: 4-years, $220M ($55M/yr)
Tua: 4-years, $212M ($53M/yr)

I just shake my head. IMO, at least Tua, when healthy, has put together some pretty good numbers. Still needs to improve but, to me, he's a proven solid (probably top 10 in the NFL or very close) NFL QB. Has to stay healthy, though.

IIRC, Love strung together 3 or 4 outstanding performances last season as he found his footing. But, when the Pack had every opportunity to knock off the Niners, Love did not step up and deliver. He doesn't have the body of work that Tua does but he's going to make $55M/year? I can't believe that the Packers couldn't have signed him to a 4-yr, $160M deal and saved some cap room. He just hasn't proved enough to give him that kind of money, imo. And that contract, if Love proves to be something less than brilliant, will hamstring the Packers and greatly reduce the possibility of them being able to trade him.

Love: 4-years, $220M ($55M/yr)
Tua: 4-years, $212M ($53M/yr)

I just shake my head. IMO, at least Tua, when healthy, has put together some pretty good numbers. Still needs to improve but, to me, he's a proven solid (probably top 10 in the NFL or very close) NFL QB. Has to stay healthy, though.

IIRC, Love strung together 3 or 4 outstanding performances last season as he found his footing. But, when the Pack had every opportunity to knock off the Niners, Love did not step up and deliver. He doesn't have the body of work that Tua does but he's going to make $55M/year? I can't believe that the Packers couldn't have signed him to a 4-yr, $160M deal and saved some cap room. He just hasn't proved enough to give him that kind of money, imo. And that contract, if Love proves to be something less than brilliant, will hamstring the Packers and greatly reduce the possibility of them being able to trade him.
Eh, both deals are only four years. You can’t draft or sign in FA anyone who’s proven to be better about 90% of the time. It’s the going rate and it is what it is.

Tus is the worse contract to me. He’s propped up a bit my Hill and Waddle as well as really good offensive head coach. And he’s injured a lot …and he faltered down the stretch

Love has shown about a half year of great football…but does show more raw talent then Tua

The problem for both is as they eat up more of cap….can they deliver with less pieces around them When you make 50M…your going to have less offense line, defense, etc. can they win with less piece’s around them

The problem for both is as they eat up more of cap….can they deliver with less pieces around them When you make 50M…your going to have less offense line, defense, etc. can they win with less piece’s around them

Exactly. Look at Mahomes numbers in the regular season. Several QBs had much better numbers and a lot of that is due to losing his outstanding WRs. Tua certainly benefits from Waddle and Hill, but a QB has to have pieces around him to shine. As you said, though, the more valuable pieces also want big money and soon your QB is surrounded by a mediocre OL and few real weapons on the outside. Very few QBs can make average teammates special.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT