ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Illinois Students Get Caught

rucker4

Freshman
Dec 8, 2021
Road game ticket scandal. Iowa nailed them. Illinois student group has been doing this for 20 years now and getting away with it. And after getting caught they have tried doubling down by deflecting.

Reactions: Fox2monk
They should charged with fraud.
Iowa is dropping it and not doing any more. They handled it well. Denied access to their tickets because they used Boys/Girls Club as their cover and Iowa gave away their tickets to the Boys/Girls Club in Iowa.

The sad part is their students have been doing this same things for years now.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
File it under college kids acting like college kids ( Not always good). Iowa handled it well.
IDK, they pretended to be members of the boys and girls club of america to get the tickets at a discount. That’s pretty bad.

Reminds me of that movie where Johnny Knoxville pretended to have down syndrome to compete in the special olympics.

Last edited:
IDK, they pretended to be members of the boys amd girls club of america to get the tickets at a discount. That’s pretty bad.

Reminds me of that movie where Johnny Knoxville pretended to have down syndrome to compete in the special olympics.

Yeah if you’re going to scam something don’t use a charity for kids as a front. That’s just shitty.

Fwiw, Greg Doyel was the first national writer to call out Tubby for mailing it in here.

He was the crack in the damn while Matt Jones (not a national anything at that time) , Dan Shaughnessy and Mike DeCourcy were crushing UK fans for it.

Hmm.. I get that pretending to be another organization to get access to tickets is kind of sleazy.. but is it a crime? Did they falsify documents.. or did they just send an email to a 70-year old who works tickets administration and she just said "ok!".

Obviously it needs to be stopped. But a crime? Punishment? Not sure. To me, it kind of depends how far they went with pretending to be the Boy Scouts.

Fwiw, Greg Doyel was the first national writer to call out Tubby for mailing it in here.

He was the crack in the damn while Matt Jones (not a national anything at that time) , Dan Shaughnessy and Mike DeCourcy were crushing UK fans for it.

Actually it was Bomani Jones who was the first.

Actually it was Bomani Jones who was the first.
well I am not committed enough to argue against it but I remember at the time when Doyel's article came out it was a huge deal. I think I would have remembered Bomani Jones being the first because I would have jumped on the Bomani Jones bandwagon pretty quick. and I really like Jones anyways.

Not saying my memory can't fail me on this though.

well I am not committed enough to argue against it but I remember at the time when Doyel's article came out it was a huge deal. I think I would have remembered Bomani Jones being the first because I would have jumped on the Bomani Jones bandwagon pretty quick. and I really like Jones anyways.

Not saying my memory can't fail me on this though.
He would host KSR and talk about how Tubby’s time was at an end. Distinctly remember that and a few articles he wrote around that time.

But if you want to get real technical Hunter S Thompson wrote something in 2003 after we lost to Marquette and Dwade that probably hit the mail on the head before anyone picked up the hammer.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
An underrated classic!

"When the **** did we get ice cream?!"
IDK, they pretended to be members of the boys amd girls club of america to get the tickets at a discount. That’s pretty bad.

I can't remember which came first but South Park had an episode with the same story and Cartman pretending to be mentally disabled. Of course Cartman got dominated...

So Illinois fans bought public tickets. Seems the gist of this story…

And we consider this outrageous behavior?

The NCAA let UNC run a fake academic program go unchecked for 20 years…

And fraud? I don’t think there is a background check required for a sporting ticket…so I can buy a ticket for “Mickey Mouse” pay the same price so there is no economic penalty and I’ve violated no law right? Jeeze. Fraud…

How bout this, don’t want opponents fans at your games, get your fans to buy them first and keep them.

And the authors tone got me too…really kinda Whiney and name calling…like it was written by the same author who writes those “Britney’s Abs are 🔥” authors. …just my take though…

IDK, they pretended to be members of the boys and girls club of america to get the tickets at a discount. That’s pretty bad.

I would be more forgiving and chalk up as college punks being college punks had the Illini students not used the Boys/Girls club as their cover. Hell, would have been better had they used the Ron Jeremy Fan Club as their cover.

So Illinois fans bought public tickets. Seems the gist of this story…

And we consider this outrageous behavior?

The NCAA let UNC run a fake academic program go unchecked for 20 years…

And fraud? I don’t think there is a background check required for a sporting ticket…so I can buy a ticket for “Mickey Mouse” pay the same price so there is no economic penalty and I’ve violated no law right? Jeeze. Fraud…

How bout this, don’t want opponents fans at your games, get your fans to buy them first and keep them.

And the authors tone got me too…really kinda Whiney and name calling…like it was written by the same author who writes those “Britney’s Abs are 🔥” authors. …just my take though…

It's kind of a shitty thing to do if it's keeping special interest groups from being able to attend games. But that's really the only issue here. Not even sure this is a crime unless they falsified documents.

Author is clearly an anti-illini fan at some level. Lol.

It's kind of a shitty thing to do if it's keeping special interest groups from being able to attend games. But that's really the only issue here. Not even sure this is a crime unless they falsified documents.

Author is clearly an anti-illini fan at some level. Lol.
You don’t have to falsify documents to commit fraud. You can commit fraud simply by a conducting a phone call where you deceive someone and defraud them of money.

That said, just because something might technically be a crime, that doesn’t mean it’s a big enough deal to warrant prosecuting it.

You don’t have to falsify documents to commit fraud. You can commit fraud simply by a conducting a phone call where you deceive someone and defraud them of money.

That said, just because something might technically be a crime, that doesn’t mean it’s a big enough deal to warrant prosecuting it.
Exactly. And Iowa is not. Iowa nullified the tickets that were to go to Illinois students, refunded all their money as a result, turned around and gave some of the tickets to the Boys/Girls club of Cedar Rapids. They were content handling that way.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
Yeah, I didn't think it was a big deal until I read that part, then it got real.
Agree, and makes you feel good when you see the kids enjoy a game that were actual members of the Boys/Girls Club and not college kids using the name of this club just to be able to get discounted tickets.

I hate to play into the other side..

But if the Boys and Girls club had no plans of going to this game what-so-ever.. is it THAT big of a deal? This isn't quite the same as Illini fans literally stealing the tickets from the hands of the B&G's Club.

Iowa didn't sell out the 4 prior home games, FWIW.. so did Illini taking these tickets actually keep anyone from going? I guess maybe if there's only x allocated tickets for special interest groups?

IDK.. not behavior you want from a student body. But on a scale of crimes against humanity, it's a 1.

Reactions: mc140 and sjjones
I hate to play into the other side..

But if the Boys and Girls club had no plans of going to this game what-so-ever.. is it THAT big of a deal? This isn't quite the same as Illini fans literally stealing the tickets from the hands of the B&G's Club.

Iowa didn't sell out the 4 prior home games, FWIW.. so did Illini taking these tickets actually keep anyone from going? I guess maybe if there's only x allocated tickets for special interest groups?

IDK.. not behavior you want from a student body. But on a scale of crimes against humanity, it's a 1.
Simple: Don't use a wonderful organization as the Boys/Girls club as your cover simply to get discounted tickets. Be ethical and buy the tickets the right way. You sometimes hear about people claiming they have cancer when they really don't in order to get a benefit of some sort. Same concept here. Nobody saying the crime should be ranked somewhere between 1 to 10. It's about doing the right thing and not using this organization as a front to get something you want. The students were not punished other than having their tickets revoked and out the money of the charter buses they lined up. And hopefully, a big ass lesson learned for the future.

Is that hard to figure out?

Road game ticket scandal. Iowa nailed them. Illinois student group has been doing this for 20 years now and getting away with it. And after getting caught they have tried doubling down by deflecting.

This article was one of the worst written, rambling pieces I've ever suffered through. It took me forever to even figure out what the damned story was really about.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Simple: Don't use a wonderful organization as the Boys/Girls club as your cover simply to get discounted tickets. Be ethical and buy the tickets the right way. You sometimes hear about people claiming they have cancer when they really don't in order to get a benefit of some sort. Same concept here. Nobody saying the crime should be ranked somewhere between 1 to 10. It's about doing the right thing and not using this organization as a front to get something you want. The students were not punished other than having their tickets revoked and out the money of the charter buses they lined up. And hopefully, a big ass lesson learned for the future.

Is that hard to figure out?

Yeah I'm fine with all of that. But you and others here are, again, acting like they should be arrested for stealing from all these various clubs.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. It was one of those "alright guys, you had your fun, but you can't do this again" situations. Nothing more.

Yeah I'm fine with all of that. But you and others here are, again, acting like they should be arrested for stealing from all these various clubs.

Let's not blow this out of proportion. It was one of those "alright guys, you had your fun, but you can't do this again" situations. Nothing more.
WHO is acting in this thread as if the Illinois students should be arrested? Give me break. That's a narrative you have chosen to create.

I have posted what happened, what Iowa did to rectify the situation, and have said what they did was all they needed to do and hopefully the Illinois students can learn from what they did.

WHO is acting in this thread as if the Illinois students should be arrested? Give me break. That's a narrative you have chosen to create.

I have posted what happened, what Iowa did to rectify the situation, and have said what they did was all they needed to do and hopefully the Illinois students can learn from what they did.

I believe I saw the words "fraud" and "scandal" above, did I not? There's clearly some on here who want to see them get punished.

All the Illini students are learning is how to be a little more discrete when it comes to sneaking into road games lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT