ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Has Bob Knight actually done more damage to IU than good?

indywildcatsfan

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
www.drinkgp.com
I do a lot of driving and a lot of thinking and come up with all sorts of theories. Here's one I'll throw out there for discussion:

Bob Knight is one of the 10 greatest coaches in college basketball history (even if you don't agree, just stay with me here.) Like most legendary coaches, when he leaves, he casts a shadow over the program that takes years to overcome. Rupp's legacy affected Joe B, and it was said nothing intimidated UCLA coaches more than having John Wooden sitting in the stands.

But here's the thing with Knight, after 1994, Knight tanked the last few seasons in order to prove whatever point he had to make, either with his team, his bosses or the fans. IU fans will admit this. Knight's abrupt departure (a combination of Knight's arrogance and IU administration incompetence,) led to a clearly under-qualified Mike Davis taking over. Davis led to the completely inexplicable hiring of Kelvin Sampson, which led to Tom Crean. The IU program has had one regular season Big 10 title, no conference tournament titles, a couple sweet 16's and one fluke final four, in which Knight's players basically coached themselves.

IU fans to this day talk about how "if Knight were here," or "bring back Knight," or any number of past references that, IMO, keep the IU program from establishing a new identity. Worse yet, Knight refuses to return to the school or even talk about it. The fans worship a guy who has given a big F-U to them and the school, and I don't get why the fans still care?

Knight was at IU 30 years, but IMO, his actions has caused 20 years of basketball irrelevance.

Thoughts?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News