ADVERTISEMENT

(OT) Gobert Makes ‘Money Sign’ at Ref, Implying Betting

Wildcat Sheli

Sophomore
Feb 26, 2016
We’ve had numerous discussions in the past about the potential effect of gambling on referees, so here’s an interesting article: https://apnews.com/article/rudy-gobert-nba-technical-gesture-8ffebe7f010fce6e31904addf757a9d4

Context: “(Rudy) Gobert was called for a technical foul in the closing seconds of regulation Friday night in the Timberwolves’ 113-104 overtime loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers when he rubbed his fingers together several times, implying referee Scott Foster might be on the take.”

Of note is this quote by Rudy Gobert, “I’ll bite the bullet again. I’ll be the bad guy. I’ll take the fine, but I think it’s hurting our game. I know the betting and all that is becoming bigger and bigger, but it shouldn’t feel that way.”

No one has proof but the massive increase in the prevalence of gambling on sports and the fact that it can be done anonymously online, coupled with the fact that, well, money makes people do really bad things (especially a lot of money), I’m convinced it’s everywhere. I’m also convinced we’ve been victims many, many times (looking at you, Higgins, Adams and Lindsay).

Scott Foster was known to have been in constant contact with Tim Donaghy. It's well known in NBA circles who the crooks are officiating too. Rasheed Wallace talking with Bonzi Wells and Kenyon Martin has some great background stories about the dirty officials and what was said on the court/in games. Also was shared why Foster screws over Chris Paul (Paul threatened him after Foster pushed his young son out of his way getting off the court and told him to GTFO of the way). The most alarming thing is how Foster approached Paul on the court before a Playoff game and mentioned how bad his record was when he officiated his games. Other crooks mentioned were Danny Crawford (worked MJ's Basketball Camps and if you had him in a Bulls game....good luck), Ken Mauer (he's related to MLB HOF Joe Mauer) and Violet Palmer was mentioned specifically as anytime she did a game with Martin/Wallace facing KG in MN, they'd have 2 fouls in the 1st Quarter and even mentioned they'd be called with 7 mins left in the Quarter--so 5 mins into the game they'd have 2 and be on bench.

Even was told how David Stern made sure that Donaghy was outed so the officials he was communicating with would stop responding to his calls/texts, etc.....to hide the story from reaching the bigger platform it would've if fully known. We all know about Dick Bavetta being the league's "fixer" but it was interesting how so many were brought up for certain players (Steve Javie for Allen Iverson for example) in screwing them over.

They also dedicated a segment of the Podcast to how they fired some of the crooks and where do they all end up? CBB.

Scott Foster was known to have been in constant contact with Tim Donaghy. It's well known in NBA circles who the crooks are officiating too. Rasheed Wallace talking with Bonzi Wells and Kenyon Martin has some great background stories about the dirty officials and what was said on the court/in games. Also was shared why Foster screws over Chris Paul (Paul threatened him after Foster pushed his young son out of his way getting off the court and told him to GTFO of the way). The most alarming thing is how Foster approached Paul on the court before a Playoff game and mentioned how bad his record was when he officiated his games. Other crooks mentioned were Danny Crawford (worked MJ's Basketball Camps and if you had him in a Bulls game....good luck), Ken Mauer (he's related to MLB HOF Joe Mauer) and Violet Palmer was mentioned specifically as anytime she did a game with Martin/Wallace facing KG in MN, they'd have 2 fouls in the 1st Quarter and even mentioned they'd be called with 7 mins left in the Quarter--so 5 mins into the game they'd have 2 and be on bench.

Even was told how David Stern made sure that Donaghy was outed so the officials he was communicating with would stop responding to his calls/texts, etc.....to hide the story from reaching the bigger platform it would've if fully known. We all know about Dick Bavetta being the league's "fixer" but it was interesting how so many were brought up for certain players (Steve Javie for Allen Iverson for example) in screwing them over.

They also dedicated a segment of the Podcast to how they fired some of the crooks and where do they all end up? CBB.
A lot of this sounds more like personal vendettas for specific players than gambling. Except the Donaghy part of course. Still crooked.

Reactions: ralphdaltonfan
I always suspected this is happening. But I do question the magnitude of it all.

Of course you do. And when someone’s position is always to slow the horses with their head down, they tend to miss the black stallions that are rolling past them at 1100 mph.

Just thought I’d be the first to tell you bud.

Scott Foster was known to have been in constant contact with Tim Donaghy. It's well known in NBA circles who the crooks are officiating too. Rasheed Wallace talking with Bonzi Wells and Kenyon Martin has some great background stories about the dirty officials and what was said on the court/in games….
@ralphdaltonfan Do you have a link to the podcast? I’d like to hear it. Not sure which one it is when I search. Thanks!

I have no doubt officials are involved with gambling on games.
Look how many officials come from the same area of the country--NJ/Philly.

Now here's something to keep an eye on--Temple's game with UAB got flagged for suspicious gambling activity. Have a long time friend from my Georgetown days that has been talking about a specific player he suspected throwing games since November for Temple-Jordan Riley. He's been saying this all year and then that game finally got flagged.

With the acceptance of gambling, promotion of Professional Leagues and networks covering college athletics dedicating entire shows to gambling, why wouldn't coaches/players/officials be involved with gambling? Throw in simple covers that wouldn't jump out to anyone now that receiving $ as a college athlete is normal and not against the rules, how would most fans know/detect anything funny. I'm a skeptic by nature so I'll throw in the use of Analytics as a nice cover as well. My favorite being the always odd excuse in FB of "We went for 2 down 9 because we wanted to know what we needed"--yeah-if you kicked the point you'd be down 1 possession. A game can be dictated by calling something strategic which can greatly sway a point spread.

I'm still laughing at the idea nobody felt that Raiders-Patriots game 2 yrs ago in Vegas wasn't fixed. A tie game......and a player ends up lateraling the ball to Mac Jones back near midfield because............??? It was a tie game. Not to mention the sequence leading up to it showed a receiver catch a TD where he clearly didn't get 2 feet in but they said the replay system was not allowing them to see every angle so called stood.

Also believe Alabama-TN in '22 CFB season was fixed. The Head Official (Jason Autry) officiated 3 or 4 of the 6 Alabama losses leading into this season from '19 season to '23. He had one Alabama game this year and it was Iron Bowl. He's god awful in general and most notorious for his crew's call on the Arkansas-Auburn game where he screwed the Hogs over badly gifting a game to Auburn.

Of course you do. And when someone’s position is always to slow the horses with their head down, they tend to miss the black stallions that are rolling past them at 1100 mph.

Just thought I’d be the first to tell you bud.

I guess that some prefer to have some kind of evidence of things occurring than to automatically assume that everything is corrupted.

A lot of this sounds more like personal vendettas for specific players than gambling. Except the Donaghy part of course. Still crooked.
If you listen to the entire podcast, Wallace said he/other players would openly tell the officials they knew were dirty they were crooks. I mean you had 2 guys who didn't play together both mention that they'd have 2 fouls in the 1st Quarter anytime they played KG in Minnesota. Vendetta? Ok. But it impacts a game and is premeditated which is dirty.

I watched Ken Mauer officiate a Wolves-Lakers Playoff Series where Lakers were up 3-2 and Shaq and Kobe Bryant were both on bench in 4th Quarter with 5 fouls. It's infamous for the fact Slava Medvedenko outplayed KG and Lakers still closed out the Series that night in spite of MN native Ken Mauer's best efforts. We all know about Game 6 of the WCF in '01 where Bavetta and company made sure there was a Game 7. But this was equally as bad in terms of making sure that game was impacted to help the trailing team and yet KG (overrated Franchise player, great #2/#3) gagged again.

@ralphdaltonfan Do you have a link to the podcast? I’d like to hear it. Not sure which one it is when I search. Thanks!
I just found them on YouTube, but I'll send you a few. The stories are interesting for certain, especially where Wallace talks about seeing them at a restaurant and how different they acted or how he (Wallace) mentioned the things he'd say back which also opened my eyes quite a bit. LOL

Here's one and you'll see others attached on side and subscribe. Some interesting stories for sure.

No one has proof but the massive increase in the prevalence of gambling on sports and the fact that it can be done anonymously online, coupled with the fact that, well, money makes people do really bad things (especially a lot of money), I’m convinced it’s everywhere. I’m also convinced we’ve been victims many, many times (looking at you, Higgins, Adams and Lindsay).
Yeah there’s no doubt some of these goofs like Adams, Lindsey, etc. have money on their games. The rules change every 5 minutes. Take the most recent Mississippi State game for example. Inconsistent whistle all game and then barely called anything the last 5 minutes of the game on either team.

We’ve had numerous discussions in the past about the potential effect of gambling on referees, so here’s an interesting article: https://apnews.com/article/rudy-gobert-nba-technical-gesture-8ffebe7f010fce6e31904addf757a9d4

Context: “(Rudy) Gobert was called for a technical foul in the closing seconds of regulation Friday night in the Timberwolves’ 113-104 overtime loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers when he rubbed his fingers together several times, implying referee Scott Foster might be on the take.”

Of note is this quote by Rudy Gobert, “I’ll bite the bullet again. I’ll be the bad guy. I’ll take the fine, but I think it’s hurting our game. I know the betting and all that is becoming bigger and bigger, but it shouldn’t feel that way.”

Pretty ballsy move by Gobert. The gesture combined with the quote leaves no doubt about what he’s implying.

In addition to getting fined, he’s also risking incurring the future wrath of the league’s refs. This sure ain’t gonna help him get favorable calls.

Getting back to the topic, I watched the last Quarter/OT of that Cavs/Wolves game. It was cooked. Just awful. Foster and 2 Female officials and anytime Cavs went to the basket, it was officiated like a college game. Used to be the rule was you better shoot a jumper late in a game because the refs will swallow their whistles--now it's drive the ball late and contact or not-whistle is going to blow. Especially when a team is up with a margin they'll win the game--think Adou's foul at Arkansas with 1 sec left. Was really bad. Anthony Edwards left a huddle after a timeout where it was obvious Wolves were going to lose and lit up the officials but they wouldn't throw him out. Of course the NBA really would like Clippers to have #1 seed and a deep run if not make it to the Finals for one simple reason-to help Ballmer have some buzz when he opens his Clipper "Dome" in Inglewood next season. (good luck with the Clippers getting anything out of that in LA, they are a joke and have a roster that would've been elite in 2012-'15, not '25 and no draft picks either, but hey-it's a business and leagues take care of teams--see NFL with Kroenke when he had invested/built So-Fi Stadium and it opened during the pandemic-yet a low seeded team got 3 home games in Postseason (SB included)

The one young female official was just terrible. But Foster has to take them under their wing. The end of that Wolves-Cavs game resembled a Clemson or WF team going into Cameron Indoor trying to beat Duke.

Some of the oddities that happen late in games are too coincidental to be chalked up as refs having a bad day/game. They work every night in some conference--Jeff "High Knees" Anderson was doing a Pac 12 game the other night and now does Big Ten games too. He used to only get attention for his odd running style on the court but now he's a "celebrity" and Mr. Monitor for everything he can to get camera time/mentioned by broadcast team.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Pretty ballsy move by Gobert. The gesture combined with the quote leaves no doubt about what he’s implying.

In addition to getting fined, he’s also risking incurring the future wrath of the league’s refs. This sure ain’t gonna help him get favorable calls.
Right. Then you have Edwards who has been among leaders in Techs this year and goes off a lot. KAT is whiny but cut back a bit this year. Wolves aren't enduring themselves to officials at all.

Reactions: UK90
I guess that some prefer to have some kind of evidence of things occurring than to automatically assume that everything is corrupted.

As do I, but the reality is sometimes the shadow evidence is obvious enough that you don’t need more proof. This is where you’re gonna miss the boat or arrive late on many issues of the day. Just thought I’d throw that out there.

Solution to keep ky from getting screwed over in a big game: uk has the biggest college basketball fan base. All uk fans bet the moneyline for the other team to win....watch what happens with the game officiating...I bet uk gets all the calls and wins the game. Vegas will not take that hit...

Refs cheat and gamble and anybody that thinks they don't is just naive.

I couldn't tell you how many nurses I've known get caught stealing drugs and drug diversion, then fired, only to go on somewhere else and probably do it again, like some travel nurses. Once heard a stat it was 1 in 10 nurses divert drugs.

Point is, gambling is much like addiction, and money is as well. Like somebody said before, refs that get caught or close to caught move on and even ref somewhere else.

It's just too easy for them to do it, so you know some of them do.

The real problem is sports announcers and networks and everybody else that just act like they are "bad calls" and don't hold refs accountable. That's why it continues to go on, I almost thought at one point the mob had to be in on it controlling networks to keep them from talking about games that are terribly one sided or have calls that affect the game drastically but that may be a big too much "conspiracy". Though apparently the reason Tim Daugherty got caught was by happenstance with the mob being investigated by fbi or something like that.

Solution to keep ky from getting screwed over in a big game: uk has the biggest college basketball fan base. All uk fans bet the moneyline for the other team to win....watch what happens with the game officiating...I bet uk gets all the calls and wins the game. Vegas will not take that hit...
Or just have some intelligence and don't bet.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Only suckers bet on sports. I have zero sympathy for anyone that loses money. If you wager on something that involves that much money, but completely ignore the level of corruption that that amount of money surely entails, that I don't know what to tell you. Don't get me wrong, a couple bucks here and there is entertainment. I'm talking about the folks betting two bills or more.

Agree with a lot of these post. It is well known at this point in time that sports are controlled and the officials are in on the take. They use to try to somewhat keep the cat in the bag but society has turned to the point where open corruption is everywhere and the ones in on it are worried about zero repurcusions.

Foster is a crooked SOB, he’s the ref that has screwed Chris Paul his entire career and was known cheater ref Tim Donaughy’s best buddy until he got arrested.

Reactions: UK90
If an unbiased person watched our games closely and knew basketball there is no doubt in my mind they would spot it too.

They are absolutely 100% crooks that I hope get their legs broken one day for screwing someone over.

Yeah there’s no doubt some of these goofs like Adams, Lindsey, etc. have money on their games. The rules change every 5 minutes. Take the most recent Mississippi State game for example. Inconsistent whistle all game and then barely called anything the last 5 minutes of the game on either team.
Look at our Georgia game, sure we got lazy but they called every whiff foul on UK they could the last 7 minutes of that game. Got it from 30+ to 10 in a hurry too.

I just found them on YouTube, but I'll send you a few. The stories are interesting for certain, especially where Wallace talks about seeing them at a restaurant and how different they acted or how he (Wallace) mentioned the things he'd say back which also opened my eyes quite a bit. LOL

Here's one and you'll see others attached on side and subscribe. Some interesting stories for sure.

Sheed was a beast, he would go to war with you too. I’d love to have him as a teammate and he’s exactly right about all this.

I bet on Prizepicks but I’d never bash a player if something doesn’t hit . I have definitely felt something was suspicious after betting on a player lol .

As for Gobert I’m interested to see how big that fine will be .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT