ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Favorite Burger and Ice Cream Stops

Anyone here from Louisville? If so, are you old enough to remember a slider place near Hikes Point? It's long gone and I can't remember its name. (Definitely not White Castle or Krystal)

I'll admit it's been a while since I've been to one so perhaps they have changed but last time I ate at a SnS I seem to recall it being near the bottom of my fast food joint rankings. I especially couldn't stand their shoestring french fries. Thought they were so bland. Again, maybe they have changed. And I can't comment on the shakes as don't recall ever having those.
I love the fries! Gotta dip them in cheese though. 😉

Best burger joint in Southeast KY is in Barbourville, little place called Hamburger Hut. Doesn’t take credit cards, so bring cash with you.

1. Island Dairy Freeze
2. Burger Shack - Drakesboro
3. Bethel Dipper - Russellville
4. Frosty Freeze - Franklin
5. Hampton's Dairy Mart - Elkton
6. Big Dipper - Owensboro (right next to Moonlite Bar-B-Q)

The Big Dipper in Owensboro is the absolute TRUTH. My list (all Kentucky joints)

1. Big Dipper, Owensboro KY
2. Dairy Freeze, Island KY
3. Sim's Dairy Queen, Flemingsburg KY (their own menu with fried chicken and cod fish is outstanding)
4. Burger Barn, Irvine KY
5. Cliffside Diner, Frankfort KY
6. Erma's, Owingsville KY
7. Dairy Barn, Burgin KY
8. Frosty Freeze, Salt Lick KY
9. Belew's Dairy Bar, Hardin KY
10. Berryman's, Mount Sterling KY

I like several joints that have already been mentioned. Here’s one that hasn’t been mentioned yet...

Cliffside Restaurant in Frankfort.

Just a small, greasy spoon joint...built into the side of a cliff where no sane man would have ever thought to have built any kind of building...that serves up tasty burgers.

They have ice cream but it isn’t anything spectacular. Their shakes are above average though.

Reactions: UKFan32065
I've already given my local favorites, but here are a couple that you need to check out if you haven't already:

Bahama Bob's - Gulf Shores
Charbar - Hilton Head

Meers burger in Meers Oklahoma that also have great homemade ice cream.

acL8AsUyIlAz5-JcUIEsHPhxA5EJXY83RTnd6jnVQCY.jpg

A close second for a burger is Ann's Country Kitchen Lawton/Lake Lawtonka in Lawton Oklahoma just down the road from Meers. Indian Taco there is the biggest and best around too.

Oh yeah! The cook Marvin had cooking them was a character, lol, always had a cigarette in his mouth, with the ashes ready to fall off while he cooked.
Marvin used to call me to weld that cook top any time it cracked and always sent me with a sack full of those delicious burgers.

Btw, do you remember Buckhorn?
I don't remember Buckhorn. I went to EKU. Graduated in 93. Was some good times for sure.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Best burger joint in Southeast KY is in Barbourville, little place called Hamburger Hut. Doesn’t take credit cards, so bring cash with you.
Where is that place in Barvul? Is it the little Rootbeer stand ripoff on the main drag? I'll have to come check out those burgers.

Martin, Tn.

f6ce7a9c1e2c0ec093035c6cb0a48182.jpg

the-grind-mac-cheese.jpg

photo0jpg.jpg

Grind-Sundae-706x1024.jpg

mmmbacon-1200x625.jpg

AF1QipNLbFkNCVKGAp4pYl7NHD8DcGyx3s6pl3gSRLj9=s1280-p-no-v1

DmcJ3V9W0AATgO6.jpg

That banana split is legit sitting on top of a milkshake yes.
I'm sure there are people who enjoy that but to me that just looks like a mess. 1. I see no possible way that this concoction doesn't end up being a complete and total mess. 2. There is no way one human being could eat any of those. 3. I guarantee they are priced out of the roof. There is a little place in Corbin which does Shakes like that and for the life of me, I just don't understand it. It's almost like people having those bloody mary's with chicken fingers, hamburgers, lobster tails, etc piled on them with a skewer. Again, to each their own but I sure couldn't do any of those. Just give me a good ol glass of milk with some scoops of ice cream and blend it up. I'm simple like that.

Where is that place in Barvul? Is it the little Rootbeer stand ripoff on the main drag? I'll have to come check out those burgers.
It’s just off 25 on the right as you come into the town from London/Corbin. Walmart is across 25 on the left side of the road and Hamburger Hut is a small crappy looking building beside a gas station on the right side of 25.

It’s just off 25 on the right as you come into the town from London/Corbin. Walmart is across 25 on the left side of the road and Hamburger Hut is a small crappy looking building beside a gas station on the right side of 25.
Oh I know what you're talking about. It's right past Bingham's and just before the big chicken.

Reactions: GeraldV
Grew up on the,Root Beer Stand in Corbin and Dairy Dart in London. I think Dairy Dart is gone now, but not sure. In Southern Indiana now. Zesto's does great ice cream, but they have chili dogs instead of burgers.

The old part of Madison Indiana by the river has a few really good burger and ice cream places. I really like Shipley’s burgers myself.

Nice little town to walk around in an afternoon and let the women boutique shop and enjoy a beer and burger.

The best ice cream place I've ever been to is at the Don Cesar in St. Pete Beach, Florida. They've got multiple restaurants that are amazing and serve burgers. If you ever get a chance (even if you aren't staying there), go eat something. It is wonderland.

Interesting to see so many of these places as specific burger joints/shacks/spots. That sort of thing doesn't really exist by me. For instance, diners do have burgers, but they aren't anything great. You go to a diner for breakfast foods. Any burger-spceific places are chains, it seems.

Good and unique burgers are generally found at sports bars and brew pubs.

So sadly the best burger for me is just a 5Guys burger with the works and BBQ sauce.

I recently visited someone in Bremerton Washington, just outside Seattle. While there I was taken to Shari’s and introduced to the pie shake. I ordered the Dutch apple. An entire slice of Dutch apple pie blended into a vanilla shake. Large bite-sized chunks of pie remain in the shake. Nearly impossible to drink through a straw. Had to eat it with a spoon. It was phenomenal!

0522_Sharis_Menu_Page_Website_04-Shakes-Pies.jpg

• Love
Reactions: gobigbluebell
A new place in Richmond opened up not too long ago called Freddy's and it's as close to GD Ritzy's as I've seen, although like Ritzy's was at the time compared to other like places, it's expensive. Prepare to sit in line for a while though because apparently everyone else loves it also.
Someone told me there is a Ritzys in St. Louis.

And the correct answer is cys drive in Colorado Springs co.

I recently visited someone in Bremerton Washington, just outside Seattle. While there I was taken to Shari’s and introduced to the pie shake. I ordered the Dutch apple. An entire slice of Dutch apple pie blended into a vanilla shake. Large bite-sized chunks of pie remain in the shake. Nearly impossible to drink through a straw. Had to eat it with a spoon. It was phenomenal!

0522_Sharis_Menu_Page_Website_04-Shakes-Pies.jpg

That’s brilliant.

That’s brilliant.
McClosky's dairy in West Louisville. My Dad and Mom drove down there so us 3 kids could have an ice cream cone about twice a month in the summer. Mmmmm good
Strawberry, nilla, chocolate were the choices. And no toppins either.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT