ADVERTISEMENT

Orange Bowl press conference canceled

Back to sports though.... going to a bowl is better than not. There's something to be said for ending a season with a win.

And let's be honest....if we want to eliminate games that are meaningless, then there would be no out of conference games and divide the SEC into a four to six group of haves and everyone else the have nots.

Reactions: The-Hack
I am disappointed in myself too. Not the best of days for me, my daughter was diagnosed with MS yesterday and this guy makes that comment. Just wasn't in the mood to be attacked for making a true statement.
Yeah, that's what they call me; This guy.

Well, 'this guy' is sorry about your daughter. And since 'this guy' is a Physician, I do know what you are going through.

Reactions: catzfanjim
Yeah, that's what they call me; This guy.

Well, 'this guy' is sorry about your daughter. And since 'this guy' is a Physician, I do know what you are going through.

Been a rough week, lost my best friend of 40 years Monday then my daughter's news, sorry. But if there is a positive it was Vandergriff getting some game experience.

64 teams? Thank you but, I say "No."

A 64 team playoff would kill what makes CFB the best sport in the country in my opinion, and that is the do-or-die nature of the regular season. All of CFB nation are dialed into the marquee games each week because they have a direct impact on a team's NC fortunes (Ex: Texas at Bama earlier in the year).

I'm worried 12 teams is too many and would have preferred limiting expansion to only 8 teams. Why? I think 12 will ultimately lead to 16 and that is too many IMO. With 16 teams or more, we might have teams ranked in the top 4 resting players on rivalry week to be in top shape for the playoffs. Sounds a lot like the end of the NFL regular season to me....not very compelling.

As for 64 teams, we should think about CBB. Sure, March/April give us a couple weeks of fun in the NCAA tourney, but who gives a fiddler's wink about the CBB regular season outside of pockets of fanatics in KY, NC, and KS? The answer....not many.

I LOVE regular season CFB, and bowl season, and the 4-team playoff, and I am totally indifferent to CBB until late Feb. I don't want the money-hungry TV companies and the power conferences "basketballing my football season."

GBB!
I'm actually the opposite. College football has become boring. Most years it's the same core group of 6 teams in the playoffs. In 10 years these are the teams that have played in the playoffs the most with 29 of the 40 appearances.

Alabama - 8
Clemson - 6
Ohio St - 5
Oklahoma - 4
Michigan - 3
Georgia - 3

In 8 of those 10 years, the champ was one of them. LSU (the 9th champ) is the one that wasn't in that group I'd bet the 10th champ will likely be one of those teams as well. There hasn't really been a surprise winner yet. Unless you call LSU a surprise since it's their only trip to the playoffs. It's become stale. Increasing to 8 will keep most of those teams still in the playoffs and there won't be many different ones added.

While some teams do go to the Final Four in basketball a number of times, there is still a big variety of teams in it. I didn't get to research it very much, but just in the last 4 tournaments, there's been 0 repeat appearances. Keeps things kind of fresh.

Last edited:
I am disappointed in myself too. Not the best of days for me, my daughter was diagnosed with MS yesterday and this guy makes that comment. Just wasn't in the mood to be attacked for making a true statement.
I was diagnosed with ms in May. It's a life altering disease. Let her know there is someone out there that empathizes with her.

I'm actually the opposite. College football has become boring. Most years it's the same core group of 6 teams in the playoffs. In 10 years these are the teams that have played in the playoffs the most.

Alabama - 8
Clemson - 6
Ohio St - 5
Oklahoma - 4
Michigan - 3
Georgia - 3

In 9 of those years, the champ was one of them. LSU is the one that wasn't in that group There hasn't really been a surprise winner yet. Unless you call LSU a surprise since it's their only trip to the playoffs. It's become stale. Increasing to 8 will keep most of those teams still in the playoffs and there won't be many different ones added.

While some teams do go to the Final Four in basketball a number of times, there is still a big variety of teams in it. I didn't get to research it very much, but just in the last 4 tournaments, there's been 0 repeat appearances. Keeps things kind of fresh.

It will be the same teams in the 12 and probably be the same teams in final four most seasons. The lack of parity in college football is amazing and football doesn't lend itself to upsets like basketball either n the playoff IMO.

All that said, I'm pro expansion and want it to go to 16. I'd rather UK make the playoff and lose by 21 on the road than win the who gives a crap bowl.

So sorry to hear about your daughter and am glad she’s doing okay. I lost my best friend a couple years ago as well, not many things that hurt a man as bad. Very sorry for your loss Grumpy.

Thank you, losing was bad enough, then out of nowhere my daughter gave me her news, she is doing much better than me with it.

My point is with the path they are on, these bowl games are going to devolve and ultimately die. Without fan interest and a product that attracts advertising dollars, how will they sustain themselves?
I'll tell you this every Bowl game that UK plays in is always one of the Most watched games on TV and Sells out or comes close. Bowl Games aren't going anywhere. Although the Playoffs will eventually expand to 12 then 16 teams and that will be a good thing. But Bowls will still be here through it all.

Reactions: Girthang
Wow! Have read numerous posts of yours on our Kentucky board. Never thought I'd see this kind of reaction from you. I guess it is fair to say 'excuse my crying post', but it is equally fair to say how disappointed now I am in you.

And one small fact that you overlooked: I was not talking about Georgia, I was talking about all the reactions from FSU fans. My post happened to fall under yours, but I was posting under and in answer to the Orange Bowl thread, not you.

Again, disappointed.
Grump is a good poster so long as UGA is dominating. He gets chippy fast when something does not go UGA’s way.

I'll tell you this every Bowl game that UK plays in is always one of the Most watched games on TV and Sells out or comes close. Bowl Games aren't going anywhere. Although the Playoffs will eventually expand to 12 then 16 teams and that will be a good thing. But Bowls will still be here through it all.
This has been true in the past. Things change. Make it the norm that the best players skip non-playoff bowl games and ticket sales/tv viewership will dwindle. The evidence is all around… fans on this very forum admitting they will have much less interest.

This has been true in the past. Things change. Make it the norm that the best players skip non-playoff bowl games and ticket sales/tv viewership will dwindle. The evidence is all around… fans on this very forum admitting they will have much less interest.
That's Hearsay 😂 Proof will be if the Numbers actually drop, Significantly. Not gonna happen. Especially since Disney is gonna lauch their own ESPN all Newtwork Live Streaming TV app for all of their channels within this next year or the following.

Grump is a good poster so long as UGA is dominating. He gets chippy fast when something does not go UGA’s way.

My reply had nothing to do with the outcome of the SEC Championship game Cave. I am a UGA fan who thought the pass was complete, we lost because we couldn't stop the run.

I replied to a poster who said hoped UGA beat them by 40, that we would be missing our top3 offensive players. And the Dr, said whine some more. Wrong day for that, just found out my daughter has MS, and responded, didn't realize stating facts was whining.

My reply had nothing to do with the outcome of the SEC Championship game Cave. I am a UGA fan who thought the pass was complete, we lost because we couldn't stop the run.

I replied to a poster who said hoped UGA beat them by 40, that we would be missing our top3 offensive players. And the Dr, said whine some more. Wrong day for that, just found out my daughter has MS, and responded, didn't realize stating facts was whining.
What Dr. said 'whine some more'?

Yeah, I used “doctor” in my search, not “Physician.”

Seriously, though @Grumpyolddawg, his post did not quote you, did not reference you, was multiple posts below the one you thought he was responding to, and appears to not have been aimed toward you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Girthang and Hjack

I was the poster you replied to,I hoped you put 40 up on them. I jokingly said if you didn't UGA should be kicked out of the SEC. Made it clear I was joking. Your response was in keeping with my post and in no way should have offended anyone

Yeah, I used “doctor” in my search, not “Physician.”

Seriously, though @Grumpyolddawg, his post did not quote you, did not reference you, was multiple posts below the one you thought he was responding to, and appears to not have been aimed toward you.
Hack, you are exactly on point. I was specifically talking about the numerous FSU fans who are upset.

Reactions: Girthang
Sorry to hear the bad news. Prayers for you and your family as you maneuver that illness.

They're still meaningful. The Players and Coaches get an extra Month of Practices and another game to play for a Trophy. Helps Development and also gives the Players a Reward for a Good Season. Also it rewards Fans with a Vacation and a Chance Root on their Cat's and maybe play a team and Beat a team that you normally wouldn't play. Plus National TV Exposure is always Great for Recruitng during Bowl Season. I see NO downside.
I had someone tell me the other day on here that the extra month of practice wasn't as important as getting an early start on the off season weight training. I guess they forgot to tell the coaches that because I recall Stoops talking when he got here and we weren't making bowl games how important it was to go to a bowl for the extra practices and reps for players.

Hack, you are exactly on point. I was specifically talking about the numerous FSU fans who are upset.
That's exactly what happens in threads. It is like a mosh pit with crazy people. Sometimes it is exuberant, sometimes you get clobbered. I have been trying to give people the benefit of the doubt on cranky posts because we all have bad days. I'd note that pride is often the reason people get themselves into off-topic meta discussions. You try to justify and then someone else gets offended. Next thing you know, the thread descends into the pits. My downfall are political posts so I just try to avoid commenting on those. I have to admit I put multiple political post offenders on "ignore" for my safety.

Reactions: BigTyrone and Hjack
My downfall are political posts so I just try to avoid commenting on those. I have to admit I put multiple political post offenders on "ignore" for my safety.
If you are to the right, you are a Fascist, and if to the left a Commie, and only I, the true American, hold firmly to the winning path!

Yeah, political posts can be extreme.

And as exhibited by the Grumpy confusion, some folks real the OP, do not read the 20 responses following it, and then post a response to only the OP, but fail to quote it, leading to potential confusion: is the 21st post in response to the first, or to the one immediately above it? Or is it a response to the 15th post in the thread?

I tend to quote any posts with which I take exception.

Prayers up for your daughter, Grumpy!!

There will be better days, and medical knowledge is increasing at an exponential rate. Your daughter will very likely beat this curse!!

She doesn't seem near as upset as me. I am telling you Hack when she said that it just crushed me. No matter how old she gets she is still my little girl.

She always will be Grumpy. The positive us that particular disease is being diagnosed more and more, which means more study, more advances, more treatment options. Prayers never hurt, so you and yours have mine. Miracles happen. So do cures, or at least relief from symptoms and halting of advancement. My best to you.

So you want UK'S chances to appear in a post season game to be <5%? Post season bowls are beneficial to extra practice time and just suppose we get 9 wins a season, we are not going bowling.
I have always thought the way to solve that is the start of the season practice is on X day and ends on Y day for EVERYONE. The "season" ends when the season ends. Now ... it will be hard to motivate some people without something to play for, but it could benefit some of the lower teams because their seniors would move on and give all that practice time to the underclassman. JMO. It will never be implemented so it doesn't matter...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT