ADVERTISEMENT

Onyenso was a -23 tonight in 12 minutes

and Ivisic was a +22 in his 21 minutes.

Great win but Onyenso continuing to play too much thanks to a fluke game 1.5 months ago is eventually going to cost this team.
He's had several really good games, many more than just one fluke game. Z has been good the last couple, AB helped out tonight. Let's stop picking out the negative things and more praise the kids form coming along so we have legit options at the 5. Not just have to settle for one of them.

I thought Big Z actually did somewhat ok on defense tonight. But it was obvious he was gassed.

It wasn’t his night, luckily we got depth to cover if someone has an off night.

He's had several really good games, many more than just one fluke game. Z has been good the last couple, AB helped out tonight. Let's stop picking out the negative things and more praise the kids form coming along so we have legit options at the 5. Not just have to settle for one of them.
This x100. We need all 3 to be able to play.

Great win but Onyenso continuing to play too much thanks to a fluke game 1.5 months ago is eventually going to cost this team.
Cal better start playing z as much as possible. I’m glad he went with him quite a bit tonight. Still needs better conditioning but he’s our best option and he blocks shots as well.

The Ugo minutes has to end soon - he makes us play 4 on 5 on offense and is a half second behind on defense
He’s the worst, best shot blocker I’ve ever seen. He tries to block so many he falls for every pump fake or move ever. If he could be like Noel and hold his ground and block shots like he can then he would be perfect. He is still like a baby Giraffe out there. He gets lost and is like you said a half second behind on a lot of plays

Reactions: ManitouDan
I’ve been reading some “not so great “ things on Somto . Seems he’s more of a project than I initially thought. Supposedly is very limited moving his feet horizontally and devoid of quickness.
Somto has a good frame to develop. I don’t expect any offense from him but if he rebounds, blocks shots, and catches lobs early that’s what we need. If he sticks around he could become very good. I hope he develops into a mini Bam.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
Yes he did. Because he was looking at not getting any minutes. Can’t blame him.

I just get tired of randomly shitting on dudes who have been parts of winning games for us when they have an off game.
He has his moments and I’d definitely prefer to keep him. He’s improving and I’d expect a bigger jump next year. He probably won’t ever be an offensive stud but his touch and moves to the basket are improving. He’s fluid with great shot blocking. He just needs reps to get refined and another year in the gym like a few of our guys.

Been saying it for awhile. Guy had 1 great game where 2 of his blocks were allie oop passes and people were asking if he was better than Noel lol. The guy has stone hands, struggles to grab rebs and gets scored on more than Z in the post. When Z was in MissSt mostly avoided going inside after his early 3 blocks. He didn't have a great offensive game this time but we are at our best with him and the other 2 didn't do anything. Z at least rebounds and blocks shots when he isn't scoring.

We have 2 upcoming opportunities to get Z more comfortable before TN. I just hope Cal doesn't use it to boost up Ugo and Bradshaw against bad teams like he has before.

Yeah, that’s actually a very fair and rational point. so prior to the end of the game he was at -14 or so.
Still not good, but much better than a -23. He's got to get more effective with his offensive game if he wants to get more playing time.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Somto has a good frame to develop. I don’t expect any offense from him but if he rebounds, blocks shots, and catches lobs early that’s what we need. If he sticks around he could become very good. I hope he develops into a mini Bam.
It’s the defense that will keep him off the floor, from what I’ve heard . Supposedly, he makes Oscar look nimble. We’ll see .

For sure. From the 6:30 mark down to the TV timeout around 4:40 he was a liability. Didn't even go for rebounds and hands on his knees on defense. He was absolutely gassed. I was proud of him tonight though, his defense was drastically improved and that was with MSU playing dirty and getting away with it.
I plan on going back and watching — but at what point was it Z ask for a break and Cal didn’t sub him out ? Z fought really hard , I love the kid and his upside is Ginormous

I’ve been reading some “not so great “ things on Somto . Seems he’s more of a project than I initially thought. Supposedly is very limited moving his feet horizontally and devoid of quickness.

It’s the defense that will keep him off the floor, from what I’ve heard . Supposedly, he makes Oscar look nimble. We’ll see .
Who are you hearing this from? He is an athletic freak of nature, looks like a grown man now and I believe he has like a 40 inch vertical or something crazy for a 6'10" 245 lb dude. When you are that athletic and can jump like that at that size, I find it hard to believe his lateral movement is bad, maybe so but it will be effort or motor based because you can't be athletic enought to throw 6'10" 245 lb body 40 inches into the air and not be quick... that's fast twitch muscle fibers... ala Zion like. I think I eve recently saw a clip somebody comparing a play Somto had to something zion would do just because of how quick he got to a block that seemed un-reachable.

He's 4 stars for a reason, yes. But I wonder if 10 or 15 years ago he would be a 5 star. Now if you are a big and are not a stretch big you are ranked lower because that's how the game has gone. My point was, I bet Somto right now would give you more than Bradshaw does

Who are you hearing this from? He is an athletic freak of nature, looks like a grown man now and I believe he has like a 40 inch vertical or something crazy for a 6'10" 245 lb dude. When you are that athletic and can jump like that at that size, I find it hard to believe his lateral movement is bad, maybe so but it will be effort or motor based because you can't be athletic enought to throw 6'10" 245 lb body 40 inches into the air and not be quick... that's fast twitch muscle fibers... ala Zion like. I think I eve recently saw a clip somebody comparing a play Somto had to something zion would do just because of how quick he got to a block that seemed un-reachable.

He's 4 stars for a reason, yes. But I wonder if 10 or 15 years ago he would be a 5 star. Now if you are a big and are not a stretch big you are ranked lower because that's how the game has gone. My point was, I bet Somto right now would give you more than Bradshaw does
David Sisk.

UGO is a serviceable big. He is the 15 minute a game guy. No one expects him to be a superstar. He is what he is and we need him. Simple as that.
Absolutely. He had a bad night but Z and Bradshaw stepped up. I’m tickled we have three 7 footers who can contribute on a given night.

Reactions: $Z71$
Ugo's deficiencies were noticeable even more so tonight. Big Z had another positive game which included blocks. He appears to be adjusting to the game a bit more, which is nice heading into March.

Big Z is more intimidating on defense inside. Players seem to fear his shot blocking ability a lot more. And offensively, you know he will give us more than the other two on a regular basis. More he is on the floor, the more he helps us IMO.

I love z as much as anyone but Ugo gets a bad rep on this one. His problem is who cal pairs him with. That starting lineup has one guy that can score. So that lineup is destined to lose ground.

Z is much better imo but let's not lose sight of the fact Ugo is still good and at times definitely the right choice

Who did you want to play his 12 minutes? Big Z was winded as he'll, he couldn't play more than he did.
He was bent over from exhaustion. A couple of times, I thought I saw him look at the bench to get subbed for. That was a big tough team to get your game legs against.

Reactions: $Z71$
Ugo doesn't seem to be able to control his arms very well. He will swat at air when the ball is 2 feet to the other side. He seems very clumsy here lately and Big Z is twice the basketball player.

that was the quickest frontline we’ve played, not including that backup fat guy. it wasn’t a good matchup. ugo gets his hands on the ball consistently though. you’d have wished we had him against a team like ku.

None of the UK bigs could match up with MSU’s bigs physically. There was no interior defense being played except in the case of the blocks that Z got. UK had to outshoot MSU to win, which thankfully, MSU played minimal defense as well last night.

The NCAA will be more physical as it means one loss and you are gone. My biggest concern going forward is what happens when the shots don’t fall and the opponent is a defensive juggernaut?

Loved the win - the “don’t quit” attitude of the team and breaking MSU’s 5 win streak. Just concerned about the matador defense being played and when these guys can’t shoot.

Reactions: KENTUCKY_FLYER
I think Mitchell is the best at guarding a five. He knows how to use his body and feet better than the younger ones. He showed that before the bigs were back.

Ugo still looks like a guy who learned basketball 2 years ago.

Could be AWESOME as a college senior. A dominant player. But we won't see it in a UK uniform.

Onyenso has been the most consistent big this year. Don’t forget his solid games before last night. A player has a bad game and their awful according to some fans.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike-D

Here’s an example

“So many people on this site can’t believe he’s only ranked 50 ish when he’s so strong and ridiculously athletic. All I know is I saw him play several OTE games and was as unimpressed with him as it gets. I literally saw him twice jump for a rebound on the left side of the rim when the ball was coming off on the right. He had zero feel for the game. He reminds me of watching Damion Collins at Kentucky. Great athlete, zero basketball ability.”

He’s also expected to enter the nba draft this year for “feedback “ . So I‘m doubting his people will be patient enough to let him stay here long for development.

There is a chance that Maluach could be here though! Things are looking better on him . He’s supposed to be deciding within the next 2 weeks between UK, Kansas, and Duke . Was long thought to be Kansas but with the talk being that Hunter Dickheadson is returning things seems to have changed.

Maluach is the player you think Somto is going to be.

Last edited:

The +- is the dumbest analytic of all the dumb analytics. But he didn’t play well.

Don’t need stats if you watch him play.

He’s weak. He has bad hands. He doesn’t position well. He blocks shots and he’s gotten better at setting picks.

Z’s defense is not a lot worse than Onyenso’s.

But he does things to make up for it. Mainly he occupies a defender.

They have to play 5 against 5. When Ugo is on the floor we are playing 4 against 5 on offense and it kills spacing.

We will see more Z going forward.

Here’s an example

“So many people on this site can’t believe he’s only ranked 50 ish when he’s so strong and ridiculously athletic. All I know is I saw him play several OTE games and was as unimpressed with him as it gets. I literally saw him twice jump for a rebound on the left side of the rim when the ball was coming off on the right. He had zero feel for the game. He reminds me of watching Damion Collins at Kentucky. Great athlete, zero basketball ability.”

He’s also expected to enter the nba draft this year for “feedback “ . So I‘m doubting his people will be patient enough to let him stay here long for development.

There is a chance that Maluach could be here though! Things are looking better on him . He’s supposed to be deciding within the next 2 weeks between UK, Kansas, and Duke . Was long thought to be Kansas but with the talk being that Hunter Dickheadson is returning things seems to have changed.

Maluach is the player you think Somto is going to be.
That makes sense... but that's not saying he has bad lateral quickness or whatever you said before. What you have quoted here is saying Somto is a project due to low basketball IQ basically. He has only played ball for 4 years. But let's not get it wrong he is a freak athlete. When Willie Cauley was a freshman I saw a freak a new the potential was there....I kind of feel somto has that.

My point was I truly believe he would give us more than say Bradshaw has even this year just because he is a better athlete and not soft. He would bang.

Reactions: yoshukai
That makes sense... but that's not saying he has bad lateral quickness or whatever you said before. What you have quoted here is saying Somto is a project due to low basketball IQ basically. He has only played ball for 4 years. But let's not get it wrong he is a freak athlete. When Willie Cauley was a freshman I saw a freak a new the potential was there....I kind of feel somto has that.

My point was I truly believe he would give us more than say Bradshaw has even this year just because he is a better athlete and not soft. He would bang.
No it was David Sisk that was saying that . The quote I posted was someone else .

Ugo has been off since Auburn game

Real off

Blocks 10 shots in one game and then totally ineffective for several games in a row

Z has to play more against certain opponents - at least he battled

Tolu Smith abused Ugo

The +- is the dumbest analytic of all the dumb analytics. But he didn’t play well.

Don’t need stats if you watch him play.

He’s weak. He has bad hands. He doesn’t position well. He blocks shots and he’s gotten better at setting picks.

Z’s defense is not a lot worse than Onyenso’s.

But he does things to make up for it. Mainly he occupies a defender.

They have to play 5 against 5. When Ugo is on the floor we are playing 4 against 5 on offense and it kills spacing.

We will see more Z going forward.

Finally you make a lot of sense. Keep it coming.

None of the UK bigs could match up with MSU’s bigs physically. There was no interior defense being played except in the case of the blocks that Z got. UK had to outshoot MSU to win, which thankfully, MSU played minimal defense as well last night.

The NCAA will be more physical as it means one loss and you are gone. My biggest concern going forward is what happens when the shots don’t fall and the opponent is a defensive juggernaut?

Loved the win - the “don’t quit” attitude of the team and breaking MSU’s 5 win streak. Just concerned about the matador defense being played and when these guys can’t shoot.
I’m going to have nightmares about Virginia knocking us out while holding us to 47 points.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT