ADVERTISEMENT

One Thing Will Make Cal Resign

No one is happy with how this season ended. But there's a huge gulf between thinking the ending was unacceptable and wanting to hatch a secret back room plot to remove a coach. This is a basketball program, not Game of Thrones.
And Calipari isn't an untouchable king. Removing the Ad who gave him an asinine contract, and getting someone willing to give the program a fresh start isn't exactly conspiratorial and extreme. It's happens at programs every year.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Tanked? Seriously? We were literally just the 2 seed a huge favorite to make the F4. Granted, we crapped the bed, but tanked programs don't get seeded that highly or projected as a F4 team by most people. C'mon, get a grip on yourself and let the hyperbolic statements go.
THE. MAN. CALLED. OUR. LOSS. A. GODSEND.

Ca$h Cow needs to go.

I say pay him 500k every time he gets a transfer in.
He already doesn’t work as it is and you want to give him more money on top of his $9 million a year? Why? Money does not motivate him anymore or he would try harder to not get fired. He is already fat and happy, literally.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
And Calipari isn't an untouchable king. Removing the Ad who gave him an asinine contract, and getting someone willing to give the program a fresh start isn't exactly conspiratorial and extreme. It's happens at programs every year.
you know, not to give Mitch too much credit here, but given that we've all heard that within the first couple of years Cal was successful in marginalizing Mitch's influence in his ability to run the program, the suggestions of a pro Cal director of basketball operations who acted as the liaison between them, perhaps Mitch did not have much say in the contract. Of course in his position its associated as being his decision but if Mitch doesn't have any say about his interactions with Cal because Cal had no tolerance for his meddling in his program, then why would Mitch be in favor of keeping this guy around indefinitely?

If you carry that line of thought even further, I would guess that Mitch was relishing the opportunity to go on the air and undermine Cal's messaging by reiterating to the fan base what is important to him as the AD and perhaps calling out the people who supported minimizing his authority over Cal.

At a minimum the forced liaison and lifetime contract seemed at opposite ends of the spectrum for an AD.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
you know, not to give Mitch too much credit here, but given that we've all heard that within the first couple of years Cal was successful in marginalizing Mitch's influence in his ability to run the program, the suggestions of a pro Cal director of basketball operations who acted as the liaison between them, perhaps Mitch did not have much say in the contract. Of course in his position its associated as being his decision but if Mitch doesn't have any say about his interactions with Cal because Cal had no tolerance for his meddling in his program, then why would Mitch be in favor of keeping this guy around indefinitely?

If you carry that line of thought even further, I would guess that Mitch was relishing the opportunity to go on the air and undermine Cal's messaging by reiterating to the fan base what is important to him as the AD and perhaps calling out the people who supported minimizing his authority over Cal.

At a minimum the forced liaison and lifetime contract seemed at opposite ends of the spectrum for an AD.
Good point. Barney's not going anywhere because he's done the right thing in football, and that is where the money is. But he's not going to stand there and let Ca$h Cow make him look bad.

Reactions: kywildcat41086
Correct. If you as an employee sign a contract and you had a boss, and that boss leaves/quits/resigns that contract is no longer valid. It’s just simple math.
Yeah......I don't think that's how it works. The contract is with the university. Not with the individual.

yea, I'd hate to kneecap the program and end up with the worst season in UK basketball or maybe the worst loss in UK basketball history

I'm not trying to harm the program. I'm trying to keep a coach from harming it more.
This type of thinking will get another really good coach here in jiffy! Who of the proven, seasoned coaches would want to leave their present situation to come here and be in a position like that? Anyone doing their own due diligence would know how the previous guy was treated and know the exact same thing could happen to him.

This type of thinking will get another really good coach here in jiffy! Who of the proven, seasoned coaches would want to leave their present situation to come here and be in a position like that? Anyone doing their own due diligence would know how the previous guy was treated and know the exact same thing could happen to him.
any coach worth having isn't going to think he is going to do worse than 9-16 or lose to a #15 seed.

UK isn't for everyone. If a coach is worried about failing here, he isn't the guy for the program.

You act like we're hiring a night manager for the student center.

Fire Barnhart, he has no life time contract. Put a Kentucky man as AD who Respects the fans, State, the tradition of basketball.
Yeah this one is beyond dumb. Cal’s contract is with UK not Barnhart. When your boss gets fired it doesn’t void contracts with the organization.

the only way Cal goes is to make him miserable

take away his control of scheduling, limit his recruiting options, cut his budget, require him to attend weekly meetings with the AD, open practice to reporters and have a Q&A at the end until all their questions are answered.

I'm not saying that should be done, but Cal would walk away from that.
Make him Team Manager and hire another Coach.

Make him Team Manager and hire another Coach.
they could office space him
Office-Space-Milton.jpg

Under Barnhart the basketball program has tanked. We no longer own the most wins and the program just got beat by a 15 seed. You have a coach that makes $27,000 a day coaching who has no ability to develop players. Remember when Barnhart called anyone who complained microwave fans? Just the fact that Barney was stupid enough to give anyone a lifetime contract is grounds to fire him. Keep Cal and fire the one who created this mess.
How's the athletics department doing?

any coach worth having isn't going to think he is going to do worse than 9-16 or lose to a #15 seed.

UK isn't for everyone. If a coach is worried about failing here, he isn't the guy for the program.

You act like we're hiring a night manager for the student center.
You think Mark Few, Jay Wright, or Scott Drew would want to leave what they've built elsewhere with the type of treatment you're suggesting?

A seasoned, proven coach (someone we would actually want in the position) wouldn't. Thankfully the type of treatment you're suggesting won't happen anyway.

You think Mark Few, Jay Wright, or Scott Drew would want to leave what they've built elsewhere with the type of treatment you're suggesting?

A seasoned, proven coach (someone we would actually want in the position) wouldn't. Thankfully the type of treatment you're suggesting won't happen anyway.
Jay Wright has already said he won't come to UK and be in the fishbowl.

This isn't a new concept. A coach is not going to hesitate to come to Kentucky based on Cal not having a good time here after him pulling in $80m in salary, a national championship and a COY if he has confidence in himself.

Barnhart has the football program at an all time high and believe it or not , football is the cash cow for the university.
Facts. We have other sports that are championship caliber too. But there are a lot of basketball only fans that just don’t get it.

you don’t burn down the house to kill a spider

You are making a fool of yourself.
Meh. He’s wrong but he’s not making a fool of himself.

Barnfart’s lifetime contract to Calipari is the GREATEST contract blunder in the history of college athletics. Barnfart really felt so threatened that Calipari was going to take a pay cut to go rebuild a (then feckless) UCLA team, that he basically turned over the keys of the Kentucky basketball program from the athletic department to John Calipari.

Now Barnfart has been regarded as an excellent AD outside of some social issues, beer for the rich donors, not for the poorer season ticket holders. He’s been a good AD, but he gave a coach a contract the university is held hostage by, and that’s quite a fireable offense.

Calipari could very well take Barnfart down with him if he doesn’t produce a final four soon and refuses to leave. This could get ugly.

why fire Mitch? he brought in stoops and has had success in other sports at Uk just because cal has sucked lately doesn't mean Mitch needs to go. now if he doesn't get rid of that GD checkerboard...

Reactions: Rockfly78
Fire Barnhart, he has no life time contract. Put a Kentucky man as AD who Respects the fans, State, the tradition of basketball.
What a stupid post. Mitch isn’t going to be fired and neither is Cal, nor should they be. It never ceases to amaze me how stupid and idiotic some UK fans are, and you’re one of those fans.

Correct. If you as an employee sign a contract and you had a boss, and that boss leaves/quits/resigns that contract is no longer valid. It’s just simple math.
Really? I would think your contract is with the organization not the supervisor. I’m no lawyer but that just doesn’t sound right.

the internet equivalent of sticking your finger in your ears and screaming LALALALALALALA for 10 minutes

if you can't fire someone you make them miserable at their job until they leave - Its not a hard concept to understand
I’ve been on the receiving end of that. It worked, I settled my contract.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT