ADVERTISEMENT

Ole Miss Game 3 - Sweep Day

Well, all the rest of our SEC series are against higher ranked teams ex Auburn. So we'll see. 500 rest of the way would be a great outcome/season.

Reactions: K86
Well, all the rest of our SEC series are against higher ranked teams ex Auburn. So we'll see. 500 rest of the way would be a great outcome/season.
True, though going 5-1 or 4-2 in our first six conference road games gives us a huge leg up.

So far, it looks like:

-Alabama very tough at home, but got swept at UGA.
-Aubie is vulnerable everywhere but they put up runs.
-UT has a stacked lineup, but they're dropping games here and there.
-USC is up and down. Another team that looks mortal on the road, but swept candy at home.
-Arky looks dominant, they are going to be tough to beat, but would be cool to have them coming to lex ranked #1 if we are still flying high too.
-UF is very odd. They've dropped a ton of midweek games, but won both of their SEC series. With that said, they were very lucky to win both series, as LSU and A&M both gagged up late leads to lose the series to the gators.
-Vandy is beating up on bad teams (Mizzou and Aubie) at home, but they were swept in Columbia. Having them in LEX should make a big difference.

I don't see any series as unwinnable, but definitely the last half of the conference schedule will be much tougher. Important to make hay against Ole Miss and Alabama and Auburn before the gauntlet begins.

Last edited:
Reactions: delk4three and K86
Is this a scheduled 9 inning game? A lot of times, Sunday games are only scheduled for 7 innings so the visiting team can travel. I was thinking that since this is Easter Sunday, they may have done that.

Is this a scheduled 9 inning game? A lot of times, Sunday games are only scheduled for 7 innings so the visiting team can travel. I was thinking that since this is Easter Sunday, they may have done that.
I honestly didn’t think about that..

If it stays the way it is right now it will be a 7 inning game. Cats up 11-1.
The 10 run rule says that a 7 inning game becomes a 5 inning game, so this must be a scheduled full 9 inning game.

Reactions: K86
Cats with another great weekend with a road sweep of a good OleMiss team. This is starting to be a special season!! GBB
We started 9-1 last year so I'm still a bit skeptical. Maybe it's recency bias but I think this team is actually better. I'm going to wait until we play the best in the SEC before I get really excited.

So the best season in school history wasn’t worth getting excited? Weird take.
I was excited and extremely happy with last year. Just saying before I start believing we are world series good I need to see more. We finished 16-14 in conference last year while losing 5 of our last 6 series I would love to see us finish stronger this year.

Reactions: bigbluegrog
I was excited and extremely happy with last year. Just saying before I start believing we are world series good I need to see more. We finished 16-14 in conference last year while losing 5 of our last 6 series I would love to see us finish stronger this year.
I was thinking the same thing. What is our measuring stick? We have Alabama and Auburn coming up, but they are not top teams, so even if we beat them, it may not say much about our potential.

We started 9-1 last year so I'm still a bit skeptical. Maybe it's recency bias but I think this team is actually better. I'm going to wait until we play the best in the SEC before I get really excited.
Uh, this makes no sense. Last year was a great year by almost anyone's standards (except maybe LSU or Florida), and for UK last year was probably the best year in school history.

I was thinking the same thing. What is our measuring stick? We have Alabama and Auburn coming up, but they are not top teams, so even if we beat them, it may not say much about our potential.
Alabama is ranked in the top 15 and will move close to the top 10 after they just won a series against South Carolina. There are literally no bad teams in the SEC (except maybe for Mizzou, but you'll see them win a game here or there in conference as the year goes on). If the cats beat Alabama next weekend, they will have earned another monster series win.

Reactions: K86 and RogerIndy
I look at it like I do football I don't care if we are better than we normally are I want us to be top of the SEC good. The goal every year in every sport should be to win the SEC not to be better than our crappy history.

Kentucky Logo
AT#22
University of Mississippi

Ole Miss​

Oxford, Miss.
W 15-1 (7)

37 runs total in 3 games!

Alabama is ranked in the top 15 and will move close to the top 10 after they just won a series against South Carolina. There are literally no bad teams in the SEC (except maybe for Mizzou, but you'll see them win a game here or there in conference as the year goes on). If the cats beat Alabama next weekend, they will have earned another monster series win.
The reason for my saying that about Alabama was that their SEC record is currently only 4-5, including getting swept by the same Georgia Bulldogs that we swept. I guess it is way too early to make generalizations. Injuries happen, slumps and hot streaks occur.

I look at it like I do football I don't care if we are better than we normally are I want us to be top of the SEC good. The goal every year in every sport should be to win the SEC not to be better than our crappy history.
So you’re only excited if we are one of the top 8 teams in the country?

Hosting a regional is a reason to be excited no matter where you are, but at UK it should be a massive deal to any fan.

I think you’re just saying that you want to make sure we are nationally relevant and I get that, but we are still the worst program in the conference historically and going 15-15 (which has been done less than 10 times) is a reason to be excited. Especially when we are less invested in baseball than anyone outside of Missouri.

I think this team is pretty good. I do worry their schedule is backloaded again with Alabama, Auburn, UT, USC, Arkansas, Florida and Vandy. Six of those 7 are ranked (but so is life in the SEC).

Reactions: RogerIndy
Last years team was World Series good. If they get matched up with any other super last year they would have probably got through on my opinion. LSU was just a dominant force and proved it.

Last years team was World Series good. If they get matched up with any other super last year they would have probably got through on my opinion. LSU was just a dominant force and proved it.
Agree with this. It sucks, b/c LSU went through enough of a midseason slump to bump them down to #5 and we got matched up with them as the #12 team. If we had been 11 or 13, w would have been hosting a super for the right to go to Omaha. Bad bounce.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT