ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma State big man Brandon Garrison set to visit Kentucky

It would be a real bonus if he's a package deal with Javon Small.
I agree. In a different time and situation, I would generally not be in favor of package deals. But I think you're right, SECCats ... I think each of these players - Brandon Garrison (6'11" freshman) and Javon Small (6'3" PG; 15.1 ppg; 4.1 apg) - is good enough to help us right now, and I'd guess that offering a package might make it more likely to bring both of them to U.K.
Go 'Cats ! ! !

He is 6’11” , young and he could be a multi year player. Would be a good additions especially for what Mark Pope wants to build. It looks like he has some mobility and passing ability and can score with the right hand only. So left hand needs work and to improve his shooting. He didn’t attempt a 3 so he is a guy that plays within his abilities.

He got decent minutes and production in big XII.

For those talking about Pope's offense and saying the Center position in that offense looks to need to be a good passer and decent 3pt. shooter (me being one), what do we make of the three Bigs being talked about (Williams, Osobor, and Garrison)? All seem like traditional Big men. Strong post players, good rebounders, etc. But none are 3pt. shooters and all are relatively weak FT shooters; and they have as many or more turnovers than assists. Not saying they're not good Bigs - they are - just wondering about how they fit. Obviously, Pope thinks this strongman type of Big fits what he wants to do because all three have that quality.

We have two excellent shooing guards? We need a seasoned point guard.

For those talking about Pope's offense and saying the Center position in that offense looks to need to be a good passer and decent 3pt. shooter (me being one), what do we make of the three Bigs being talked about (Williams, Osobor, and Garrison)? All seem like traditional Big men. Strong post players, good rebounders, etc. But none are 3pt. shooters and all are relatively weak FT shooters; and they have as many or more turnovers than assists. Not saying they're not good Bigs - they are - just wondering about how they fit. Obviously, Pope thinks this strongman type of Big fits what he wants to do because all three have that quality.

Reactions: WildcatSir
I’ve thought Garrison was using us for leverage with Texas and we were using him for leverage with Williams/Osobor.

I’ll be interested to see if the kid decides to visit if Williams and Osobor are committed by next weekend.

I'm retired so I have the time so I've watched a lot of BYU's games from this past season. I was struck by a couple of traits his players share that don't make the stat sheet. First, they don't panic. They were rarely the best athletes on the court. They didn't have the best handles. Or the best shots. But I can't think of a play where any of them panicked. There were plays to be run which meant defenses to be surveyed and attacked. And they did. It's no secret that they lost more than UK fans would like, but that almost always seemed due to poor shooting. Any way: calmness.

Second, they stuck their noses in where noses weren't wanted. That is to say they grabbed far more rebounds than they should have. I never got that -- a high pain threshold -- but I've always admired it. Or at least been mystified by it. Anyway, BYU's players all seemed to have it. But again, that is something that doesn't show up in a stat sheet. (I don't know that I even want that. I remember going to a circus where a motorcyclist drove up a guy wire. I looked away because I didn't want to encourage that kind of activity. Or have his mangled body in my memory. My words to of encouragement to athlete's: keep your blood in your bag and keep your bones unbroken.)

Pope seems to value these things and I think the average fan is absolutely indifferent to them. They like the traits that can be counted. But, as I say, most of the losses BYU had this past season were due to horrendous shooting. If Pope can find the kinds of traits he admires in athletes who can shoot just a wee bit better, the sky is the limit.

He is 6’11” , young and he could be a multi year player.
From the way he played in the highlight clip of the Baylor game, if this were pre-2015 or so, Garrison would already be in the draft. He can run and pass and he's built like a boxer. Apparently he doesn't have much of an outside shot and depends upon shooting lay-ins and dunks. But I can't imagine pro teams neglecting him for long. Around the basket, he was better than anyone we put out there this past season.

Or maybe that one game was far and away his best game and isn't representative.

Can’t remember where, but I heard Pope say something to the effect that he will try to play a little different here than at BYU. The traits I’m seeing with these big men are that they are all good ball handlers/passers as well as being great defenders. I’ve also heard that Osobor is a great communicator, which is something Pope stressed in his presser I think. Pope is very smart and knows basketball, so I trust that he has a plan. I think he is adapting to the SEC style and I’ll be excited to see what that looks like.

BYU was pretty bad on defense last year and had an athletic deficit at almost every position. They also had very little rim protection. That team was built to win on scheme and analytics to overcome the athletic disadvantage it faced most nights. At UK playing in the most athletic league in the country they will need to adapt. It appears one adjustment is adding rim protection and athleticism at the expense of post-passing skill and shooting.

I'm retired so I have the time so I've watched a lot of BYU's games from this past season. I was struck by a couple of traits his players share that don't make the stat sheet. First, they don't panic. They were rarely the best athletes on the court. They didn't have the best handles. Or the best shots. But I can't think of a play where any of them panicked. There were plays to be run which meant defenses to be surveyed and attacked. And they did. It's no secret that they lost more than UK fans would like, but that almost always seemed due to poor shooting. Any way: calmness.

Second, they stuck their noses in where noses weren't wanted. That is to say they grabbed far more rebounds than they should have. I never got that -- a high pain threshold -- but I've always admired it. Or at least been mystified by it. Anyway, BYU's players all seemed to have it. But again, that is something that doesn't show up in a stat sheet. (I don't know that I even want that. I remember going to a circus where a motorcyclist drove up a guy wire. I looked away because I didn't want to encourage that kind of activity. Or have his mangled body in my memory. My words to of encouragement to athlete's: keep your blood in your bag and keep your bones unbroken.)

Pope seems to value these things and I think the average fan is absolutely indifferent to them. They like the traits that can be counted. But, as I say, most of the losses BYU had this past season were due to horrendous shooting. If Pope can find the kinds of traits he admires in athletes who can shoot just a wee bit better, the sky is the limit.
Great take...

After watching the BYU v Kansas game, that's exactly what happened; i.e. no panic, and tough/hard-nosed defense on every play....

The announcers talked about the importance of changing defenses and changing tempo -- keeping the offense off-balance -- and this is exactly what BYU did against 7th Ranked KU on their own home court-- and they came away with the W.

(Despite losing the crooked ref, point adjusting battle >> they did all they could, though)

Reactions: BlueSince92
I haven’t done the extensive film study of BYU that some of you have, but it seems to me like Pope’s offense has allowances for both kinds of big men. Certainly the times Khalifa was in the game as almost a point center stand out because of how different that is from what we’re used to seeing, but he split minutes fairly equally with Traore, who’s about as pure of an old school back to the basket scorer as you’re going to find (2/3 on the year from 3), and that still worked because it was hard to double team him when he was surrounded by 4 shooters.

If most of the best big men available are primarily inside threats, then I think it can still work to go that direction, especially if they provide the defense and rebounding that someone like Williams does. We just need to make sure we also get a collection of shooters to play around them instead of expecting them to carry the entire offense.

Not necessarily, needs back ups

That's my thouvht. He comes in and is the back up with a leading role next year? But I assume that means Osobor is maybe more of a 4 in Pope's mind? Can't imagine the goal is to have 3 players for the 5.

Read that his size is a bit exaggerated and he is probably more like between 6’9-6’10.

Still, right now we need bodies and he has P5 experience.

Lock up Williams, Osobor, and Garrison and we are pretty strong inside. All three can play the 4 or 5, I think.

Get a quick 6’8-6’9 stretch 4 to go with them and I feel like Pope has all the bases covered inside.

There are plenty of backcourt options and I think the best are yet to come. I think it’s smart to be patient and selective when it comes to the guard spots.

Wouldn't mind seeing the power kid from Duke. He’s 6'9 and supposedly can shoot

I haven’t done the extensive film study of BYU that some of you have, but it seems to me like Pope’s offense has allowances for both kinds of big men. Certainly the times Khalifa was in the game as almost a point center stand out because of how different that is from what we’re used to seeing, but he split minutes fairly equally with Traore, who’s about as pure of an old school back to the basket scorer as you’re going to find (2/3 on the year from 3), and that still worked because it was hard to double team him when he was surrounded by 4 shooters.

If most of the best big men available are primarily inside threats, then I think it can still work to go that direction, especially if they provide the defense and rebounding that someone like Williams does. We just need to make sure we also get a collection of shooters to play around them instead of expecting them to carry the entire offense.
Very nice. Don't sell yourself short. You have a broader understanding of how Pope ran the offense at BYU than me. All I did was watch some video. And you're right also that my view of how Pope was operating was based on video with Khalifa playing Center and his screening and passing from the Center position.

Expecting Perry and a kid who hasn't played in 2 years to be that good is a bit much.
Our best player last season came out of Kentucky and was ranked a 4 star. Perry actually scored more than Sheppard even when head to head. So, why not hope for the same?

It was Cal who went for these 5 star athletes who had no basketball fundamentals. Guys like Sheppard and Perry were not even desired to be on the team by Cal So don't under rate these players. We were fooled for many years by the 5 star rankings.

Taking 40% of the starting lineup from an Oklahoma state team that went 12-20 and 4-14 in the B12 reeks of desperation.
In 2009 40% of our starting lineup was Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks. We got faced in the NIT but I would still today take that 40% of that team over almost any alternative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT