ADVERTISEMENT

OKC Thunder waive TyTy Washington

I never really thought he would be that good in the league anyways but that’s nuts. He was massively overrated here, IMO. Hope the best for him though.

Also, anybody know how all this works out? Like contract and all that? How much money has he made? I thought the contracts were guaranteed, etc?

I never really thought he would be that good in the league anyways but that’s nuts. He was massively overrated here, IMO. Hope the best for him though.

Also, anybody know how all this works out? Like contract and all that? How much money has he made? I thought the contracts were guaranteed, etc?
Here are his contract details. As far as any buyouts with OKC who traded for him and assuming the contract, so forth I am unsure about all of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: SosaUK1987
Kid needs to work harder on conditioning. Last time I saw him on the court his body looked WAY too doughy and soft for someone trying to make it as an NBA point guard. Dude’s been gaining the wrong kind of weight since leaving UK.
Had the highest or 2nd highest body fat % of any guard at the NBA combine the year he went pro. He was soft when he was here and just got softer after he left.

Here are his contract details. As far as any buyouts, did OKC who traded for him assume the contract, so forth I am unsure about all of that.

Thanks. Yeah the buyouts and all that is what I’m wondering. So if a new team picks him up, he signs a new rookie deal? Or what? Confusing, at least to me.

Or.. if a team picks him up, his deal just continues on?

okc has plenty of guards—sga/giddey/cason & even tre mann looked like a world-beater in summer league—not sure why he wasn’t immediately waived

Thanks. Yeah the buyouts and all that is what I’m wondering. So if a new team picks him up, he signs a new rookie deal? Or what? Confusing, at least to me.

The easiest way to put it, if some team claimed him off waivers which is a 48 hour period in the NBA from the moment OKC first waived him, the new team picks up the remainder of his contract. If he gets released and no one claims Washington, then OKC is eating the remainder of the contract. Any new team if they want to sign him, he gets a new contract. OKC is not off the hook for their part.

The easiest way to put it, if some team claimed him off waivers which is a 48 hour period in the NBA from the moment OKC first waived him, the new team picks up the remainder of his contract. If he gets released and no one claims Washington, then OKC is eating the remainder of the contract. Any new team if they want to sign him, he gets a new contract. OKC is not off the hook for their part.

So let’s say nobody in the NBA wants him. OKc would have to give him all of guaranteed money correct?

And if he did sign a new contract, I assume that would be on the rookie scale right?

Thanks a lot. It all makes my head hurt. H

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
So let’s say nobody in the NBA wants him. OKc would have to give him all of guaranteed money correct?

And if he did sign a new contract, I assume that would be on the rookie scale right?

A 1st round draft pick contract is guaranteed for 2 years. Ty Ty will make a total of $4,530,480 for those 2 years. The other 2 years are club options. So OKC (or team that claims him off waivers) will owe him $2,320,440 this season.

If a team claims him off waivers, they assume the contract and terms. If he is not claimed he negotiates a new contract with any team that wishes to sign him.

Yes, OKC still owes him the rest of the money. That's all I know. Someone else will have to answer your question about the rookie scale part.

A 1st round draft pick contract is guaranteed for 2 years. Ty Ty will make a total of $4,530,480 for those 2 years. The other 2 years are club options.
Oh snap, I keep forgetting he played here 2 years ago. My bad. Thank you so much. I’m all caught up now. So if a team wanted to pick him up, they could extend it for 2 more years(at the most), correct?
Yes, OKC still owes him the rest of the money. That's all I know. Someone else will have to answer your question about the rookie scale part.
Thank you bud. I got it all figured out now I think. Haha.

Oh snap, I keep forgetting he played here 2 years ago. My bad. Thank you so much. I’m all caught up now. So if a team wanted to pick him up, they could extend it for 2 more years(at the most), correct?

Thank you bud. I got it all figured out now I think. Haha.
It can be a bit confusing, I definitely get that. The rookie scale part throws me off too. I just know OKC owes him for this upcoming season which would be year 2 in the league even if he does not play. Those final 2 years of the contract are a club option, non-guaranteed for TyTy since he is getting waived. OKC won't have him on the roster so there won't be an option to pick up.

It can be a bit confusing, I definitely get that. The rookie scale part throws me off too. I just know OKC owes him for this upcoming season which would be year 2 in the league even if he does not play. Those final 2 years of the contract are a club option, non-guaranteed for TyTy since he is getting waived. OKC won't have him on the roster so there won't be an option to pick up.
Crazy he could potentially “do nothing” and make millions. Sports contracts and contracts in general are so out of wack these days. Lol. Thanks again man.

If he's picked up, the team picking him up honors his current contract. If no one picks him up, the Thunder must pay him his guaranteed salary this year and he counts against their salary cap.

If he's picked up, the team picking him up honors his current contract. If no one picks him up, the Thunder must pay him his guaranteed salary this year and he counts against their salary cap.
Gotcha. Makes sense completely. Appreciate ya.

The team that lost to St. Peter's definitely won't age well.
I can see the SP game topic coming up 10 years from now and some young guy will chime in that it wasn't that big of an upset because UK didn't really have anything.

That’s very true. To think, he was being talked about as a lottery pick and a year later, he doesn’t have a team.
I think he was very good here but needed another year. I never thought he would be elite but a first round talent for sure. It will be interesting to see if a rebuilding club picks him up. He was in a good situation in Houston but getting traded killed that. A team that didn’t draft him won’t have the leash he should have gotten there to improve.

I can see the SP game topic coming up 10 years from now and some young guy will chime in that it wasn't that big of an upset because UK didn't really have anything.
Terrible loss no matter how it ages. That team when healthy was very good. They just weren’t at that time and Wheeler was obviously a head case/problem.

He averaged 22:6:5 in his time in the G-League I believe over 46 games so that’s a good sample. I’m sure he will get another shot. He’s already proven he’s too good to sit down there. He had a game where he scored 52 as well. He just need a team that will let him play and learn really.

Last edited:
Crazy he could potentially “do nothing” and make millions. Sports contracts and contracts in general are so out of wack these days. Lol. Thanks again man.
I agree, the money athletes and coaches make today is insane. I went to FF in Minneapolis to get it off my bucket list and the trip, tickets etc cost me close to 5k. The average fan cannot afford special event prices any longer.

The St Peter's team was better. We were over seeded and they were under seeded. They didn't just beat us. They also beat Purdue on their way to the E8. Tyty was very good here. Not great but very good. And he wasn't 100% for that game. Oscar played his ass off but had no help.

I don't remember you saying that, but he's definitely an NBA player if he wants to be. He needs to get in shape, and step up. Kid had some super bright moments here. Set the single game school assist record as a true Freshman.
Said it many times. He doesn't do anything at an NBA level. He's an okay shooter not great. Decent midrange game but not very athletic. Good ball handler not great. He does everything pretty good with below average athleticism. Not a player that was going to stick in the NBA.

I will say that you may be right, if he focuses hard on his body and gets in elite shape he might be able to play his way into sticking on a roster. If he continues to be built like a woman he won't. He needs to get his ass in the gym and burn his body fat way down, he should be in the absolute peak physical condition right now.

He always seemed a step slow when it came to creating his own shot. Seems to me it would be hard to keep a spot in the league as a guard of you can’t do that if you aren’t a super high percentage shooter.

That assist record game was a thing of beauty and completely exposed Wheeler and in turn Cal. We all owe him one for that at least.

He was one of the few who should have actually returned to UK, gotten stronger, and ended up as a top 20 pick ala James Young, playing on a franchise who would have more to gain by keeping him attached to the organization for a year or two longer.

There's a few guys who definitely needed another year at UK from a draft standpoint:

Goodwin
Skal
Ty Ty
Dakari Johnson
Teague
Montgomery
Maybe even Keldon Johnson. I know he blew up with the Spurs, but another year at UK probably nets him lottery level. It was risky leaving when he did. If the wrong team took Keldon at the back end of that 1st round or early 2nd round, he may have never had a chance to show his potential rise so quickly.

Sad to see but not surprised. He did the right thing going. He would have helped us but been exposed in a second year. His best bet at a long career would have been to stay four years but then there would still be no guarantee. This is why you take the money. Truth is, he just wasn't as good as a lot of people said he was.

Kid needs to work harder on conditioning. Last time I saw him on the court his body looked WAY too doughy and soft for someone trying to make it as an NBA point guard. Dude’s been gaining the wrong kind of weight since leaving UK.

Yep. I remember posting as much months ago and pointing out he will eat himself out of the league if not careful. People acted like it was crazy.

This writing was on the way when he was tossed in that trade to a team with a slew of other guards. It was a salary dump and a smart one.

No excuse for his lack of physical conditioning. He was already borderline athletically anyway, so he can't afford to carry any additional weight

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT