ADVERTISEMENT

Oh cal so sneaky

Mar 6, 2024
I think the reason DJ and Thiero held off is because they wanted davis to commit/sign thinking hed be the focal part of the offense and be the primary. Once cal honors his promises to DJ/fland/richmond davis isnt going to see nearly as much of the offense as he projected too. Cal knows how to bring them in but i can see a team turmoil, which has honestly been a trend with cal the past few years. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but honestly we all know how its going to go.

I think the reason DJ and Thiero held off is because they wanted davis to commit/sign thinking hed be the focal part of the offense and be the primary. Once cal honors his promises to DJ/fland/richmond davis isnt going to see nearly as much of the offense as he projected too. Cal knows how to bring them in but i can see a team turmoil, which has honestly been a trend with cal the past few years. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, but honestly we all know how its going to go.
Maybe….but Cal also went hard after Smith from Utah and only after he lost that guy to Saint John’s has the Wagner news magically appeared.

Y’all did this same thing creating some Calipari puppet master scheme a few weeks ago, acting as if it were all orchestrated to “steal our spotlight” when he’d get a commit.

I think this one is about as far-fetched. If he had that kind of power and influence he’d still be the coach at Kentucky.

Y’all did this same thing creating some Calipari puppet master scheme a few weeks ago, acting as if it were all orchestrated to “steal our spotlight” when he’d get a commit.

I think this one is about as far-fetched. If he had that kind of power and influence he’d still be the coach at Kentucky.

I mean, he left on his own.

What does it matter?

Reactions: saxonburgcat
Not sure it's that deep. It sounds like Adou had little interest in Arkansas until they showed him the check. Norlander saying he, Aidoo, and Davis all over $1m NIL each. Wagner's gf is at USC, so it's understandable he's giving them a hard look. And lastly, Davis could still potentially stay in the NBA draft, so if Cal were to bring in a bunch of guys Davis wasn't okay with adding, there's no reason he has to end up in Fayetteville. And if he hasn't actually signed with Arkansas yet, that would be yet another out for him. Look at Kugel at Kansas, now potentially back on the market after being Kansas' first transfer commit.

Who Cares GIF by Judge Judy

Cal it All Things Cal and merge all Cal threads into it.

I am ready to leave the past in the past. I am about the future.
Honest question and I’m going to sound like an ass but not meaning to be. If you are ready to leave the past in the past and focus on the future why click, read, and comment on a thread that was 100% clear it was about cal. And I’m asking this not just because of your post but others as well that are taking the time to make similar comments on other cal threads. It’s not an obligation to read every topic. There are many thread topics I choose not to read and others still I click on read and quickly realize I have no interest and simply exit out without commenting at all.

Honest question and I’m going to sound like an ass but not meaning to be. If you are ready to leave the past in the past and focus on the future why click, read, and comment on a thread that was 100% clear it was about cal. And I’m asking this not just because of your post but others as well that are taking the time to make similar comments on other cal threads. It’s not an obligation to read every topic. There are many thread topics I choose not to read and others still I click on read and quickly realize I have no interest and simply exit out without commenting at all.

I read most threads. Never know what you’ll find.

I just happened to like the idea the person I was quoting had - put all Cal threads in one place so we don’t have 9 threads saying the same thing.

Redundancy is a big issue on this board in general, and it’s a personal pet peeve of mine.

We have been talking about Wagner waiting for either a splash for either one. I don’t think it’s a coincidence after Davis commits now that it’s his time. Exactly how he always structures this. I do think he had him wait for Davis for sure.

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I mean, he left on his own.
Obviously. And he wouldn’t have wanted or felt pressured to if he was the kind of all-powerful master manipulator some of our fans make him out to be. He’d have stayed here and dominated like he used to.

He’s taking what he can get when he can get it.

We should hope you are correct because if he does as you think, they will suck.

The poster you responded to just doesn't want to control what he reads; he wants to control what others read too.

Dude…Davis will be the man on the team. He’s literally the best player on the team. This is just a weird take.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Dude…Davis will be the man on the team. He’s literally the best player on the team. This is just a weird take.
Quite possible but Davis has also never played in a calipari style offense. We have never had a transfer guard come in and be our best player and most struggle early adapting to Cal’s style of play (which is basically school yard basketball with little structure). Reeves in his 2nd year obviously was our best player but also totally redefined his game from YR. 1 to YR 2 to get to that point. You’ll quickly learn players have to get their own shots in Cals “offense”. There are very few designed sets ran through the course of a game to get a certain player a shot unless it’s feeding the post which you will also learn is a cal specialty regardless of effectiveness.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Quite possible but Davis has also never played in a calipari style offense. We have never had a transfer guard come in and be our best player and most struggle early adapting to Cal’s style of play (which is basically school yard basketball with little structure). Reeves in his 2nd year obviously was our best player but also totally redefined his game from YR. 1 to YR 2 to get to that point. You’ll quickly learn players have to get their own shots in Cals “offense”. There are very few designed sets ran through the course of a game to get a certain player a shot unless it’s feeding the post which you will also learn is a cal specialty regardless of effectiveness.
I understand and there is nobody better at getting their own shot than Davis.

Maybe….but Cal also went hard after Smith from Utah and only after he lost that guy to Saint John’s has the Wagner news magically appeared.
Yeah, I don't think Wagner was his first choice. Truth is, his broken shot kills him. He's really not great at anything. He's average to good at a few things- he's good at driving and getting to the paint but he's average at finishing those drives. He's good at defending a guy one on one, but he's averaging at dealing with pick and roll or picks in general. He's below average to bad shooting the three. He's average at shooting in the mid-range. He's not a great assist guy. He's good when it comes to physicality but he struggles with lateral quickness. He's got the size and strength to be a good rebounder but doesn't box out or pursue rebounds aggressively. I don't think Calipari really wanted Wagner as his lead guard this season, whether he had been at UK or going to Arkansas.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Wagner will start along with Davis and Thiero . Boogie has been convinced he will play the Shepherd role . Big Z is also a starter. They will have a good team but Cal will manage to screw it up . Our game with them should be interesting.

I hope he goes there . Will just be another option for drama , and we all know that the more options Cal has the more chance he has to screw it up . He’s been great at that the last several years.

Wagner will start along with Davis and Thiero . Boogie has been convinced he will play the Shepherd role . Big Z is also a starter. They will have a good team but Cal will manage to screw it up . Our game with them should be interesting.
1. Aidoo is better than Z...fits Cal's prototypical Center to a tee......and I'm sure he was bought and paid...so I don't see a place he isn't a starter over Z.
2. We'll see how the guard stuff plays out.....Boogie Fland, DJ and Davis are all combo guards. My gut tells me Boogie is more talented than DJ...so we'll see. But this is Cal that played Dilly and Reed off hte bench an entire season. The man is consumed with relationship over right/wrong..so it will be interesting.
3. Thiero is probably the only legit PF on that roster today....so I'd agree it's his job as of now.

But to teh OP...this is 100% Cal slow playing Thiero/DJ to get other guys on roster first and pull the okie/doke on them with his guys.

Reactions: wardlow
It was a milion dollar Okiedoke we played on Davis for him not to start or play. Davis will start and play themost minutes on the team unless someoen really really steps up and I hope that is the case.

Yeah, I don't think Wagner was his first choice. Truth is, his broken shot kills him. He's really not great at anything. He's average to good at a few things- he's good at driving and getting to the paint but he's average at finishing those drives. He's good at defending a guy one on one, but he's averaging at dealing with pick and roll or picks in general. He's below average to bad shooting the three. He's average at shooting in the mid-range. He's not a great assist guy. He's good when it comes to physicality but he struggles with lateral quickness. He's got the size and strength to be a good rebounder but doesn't box out or pursue rebounds aggressively. I don't think Calipari really wanted Wagner as his lead guard this season, whether he had been at UK or going to Arkansas.
Fair assessment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT