ADVERTISEMENT

Official: Kentucky Basketball Coaching Hot Board 1.0

HoptownCat93

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2015
@JRowland I wanted to get an official thread going. We can throw out candidates and all that in different threads, but until it’s concrete we need to just have a big list.

Tier 1A: Make them say no!

-Dan Hurley
A champion and going for back to back. Knows the portal. Winning at a blue blood. But would he leave after back to back titles? We could pay more. Also, outside of these 2 seasons, not a long track record of success…but honestly he’s had 2 rebuilding jobs.

-Nate Oats
He’s won 2 SEC titles. He was dominant at Buffalo. He’s taken Alabama to a Final Four. He’s young and modern. He’s the future of the game. He can even recruit 5-star talent. There’s the issue of last year’s shooting incident….hes my choice BTW

-Billy Donovan
He’s kinda on the hot seat in Chicago and they’re getting ready to rebuild. Successful college and pro coach. 2 National titles. Coached multiple NBA stars. Has the credibility. He coached here as an assistant. But would he come? He’s been out of coaching so long?

-Jay Wright
I mean what could Jay Wright do with our resources. He hates the portal and likes to build teams at NOVA and retired…but? With our resources he could have whatever he wants. But he’s 62 and done with the game…

-Brad Stevens
Hasn’t coached college in 11 years. Hasn’t coached NBA in 3 years. Has the best job as an executive of a potential dynasty type roster in Boston. You at least call him?

Tier 1B: Great hires and you can’t get below them

-Scott Drew
He won a title at Baylor. He’s won consistently at a place that doesn’t value basketball. He’s won in the Big 12. He’s even recruited top players there. He’s a great guy and would work hard. We’d always have great teams. Give him our resources…he’s won a freaking title so don’t cry about getting him.

-Bruce Pearl
He took his D2 program at USI to historic levels. He took Tennessee to their best heights ever. He’s taken Auburn on their best run ever. He’s recruit top players to his programs. He has a personality built for our fan base. He works hard. He wins. But there’s NCAA baggage. He’s 64. But the man would win a title at Kentucky IMO

Tier B: Emergency guys, but not bad, but we wouldn’t be happy

-Matt Painter
I mean he’s in a title game. Purdue wins games. You could do MUCH worse.

-Tommy Lloyd
He’s had Arizona elite all 3 years. He coached under Few. He’d be a guy that could energize BBN. There’s no BAD on his resume to scare you, and there is success in power conference ball. So he’d be the up and comer

-Chris Beard
He’s an elite ball coach, but not a fit here. He could win a lot and we’d be happy enough. Not your first choice at all.

Tier C: GULP, High floor guys, big risk?
-Sean Miller
-Thad Matta
-Shaka Smart
-Greg McDermott
-Mark Pope (please no!)
-Brian Dutcher
-TJ Otzelberger
-Brad Underwood

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series