ADVERTISEMENT

Off-season musings: the comprehensive list of Louisville scandals and black eyes....

Mojocat

All-American
Jan 29, 2003
The list of scandals at the University of Louisville in the last few years is nothing short or remarkable. There are so many it's easy to forget most of them. Individual episodes that would be shocking in isolation simply get lost in the shuffle (it occurs to me, maybe this is smart PR!). I tried to list them all, just out of curiosity and a few minutes to kill. 90% of this list comes from an article last summer in the CJ. But there were a few since, and a few prior to that time that weren't included. Here's what I came up with - any come to mind that I am forgetting? Tried to keep each to a single line item for simplicity's sake, otherwise it's overwhelming. heh.

U of L Scandals & Black Eyes

September 2007: Jurich personally vouches for LB Willie Williams, who is then kicked off team after arrest.

February 2008: CB Rod Council arrested for armed robbery with Uzi.

October 2008: Education Dean Robert Felner indicted on federal financial fraud charges.

October 2009: Rick Pitino restaurant sex with stranger/abortion scandal erupts.

October 2009: Jerry Smith & Terrence Jennings subdued by Taser, charged with assault, disorderly conduct

September 2010: Former baseball player Howes shoots/kills former football player Covington.

February 2011: Alisha Ward fired for stealing $463k from Equine Program.

October 2011: Kerry Johnson, athletic office manager, indicted for stealing $100k.

May 2011: Susan DeWitt, chemistry department business manager, indicted for stealing $70k.

July 2013: Asst. Law Dean Brandon Hamilton is indicted for stealing $2.4 million.

October 2013: Jurich vows to keep Clint Hurtt despite 2 year show cause penalty from NCAA.

January 2014: SI cover story “Appalled at Petrino Hiring: Louisville shows it only cares about winning”.

March 2014: Hush-money pay-offs to VPs Curtin, Owsley & Hibbs ($570k).

March 2014: Accrediting body places Medical School on probation.

April 2014: Perry Vaughn, director in Med School, indicted for stealing $2.8 million.

April 2014: Hush-money pay-off to former general counsel Koshewa ($350k).

June 2014: School refuses to release findings of internal control audit.

November 2014: Cheerleader dies of heroin overdose in football dorm.

January 2015: Former player sues school, Coach Strong for injuries in locker-room beating.

February 2015: Chris Jones dismissed from basketball team after charges of rape, sodomy.

May 2015: Ramsey, Willinhnganz, Smith paid $5.5 million deferred comp from Foundation.

July 2015: Ramsey comp ($1.7 million) 2.5 times ACC average, UofL last place academically.

August 2015: Kentucky Supreme Court finds UofL athletics liable for sexual harassment ($371,000).

October 2015: Ramsey and staff pose for a photo at a Halloween party in Hispanic costumes.

October 2015: Katina Powell publishes #HookersinDorms book, NCAA investigation.

October 2015: SI cover story “Louisville Athletics Is Dangerous Culture for Women”.

October 2015: Fox Sports cover story “Louisville’s Rogue Athletics Department.

November 2015: Deborah Dietzler, alumni relations, fired for using school funds for personal use.

December 2015: Dunn/Hancock/Bessette fired from health sciences dept. for theft of $7.6 million.

December 2015: VP Darrell A. Griffith, DUI forced leave of absence.

January 2016: Charlie Strong involved in affair, divorce of trustee.

February 2016: In response to #HookersinDorms, Louisville self-imposes post-season ban.

June 2016: Bevin fires and replaces Board of Trustees.

July 2016: Jim Ramsey is forced to resign immediately, receives $700,000 payout.

November 2016: SI: “Louisville's ethics in question again with handling of Wake Forest scandal.”

December 2016: Two UofL football players and a cheerleader shot at party.

January 2017: Accrediting body places university on academic probation.

June 2017: NCAA vacates ’12 Final Four and ’13 title.

June 2017: Foundation audit reveals “disturbing picture of financial excess and secrecy”.

2010 & Ongoing: Sweetheart YUM! Center Lease. Arena Authority (meaning taxpayers!) loses $17 million annually; school profits $27 million annually. Louisville Metro Councilman Bill Hollander: "the lease has amounted to a transfer of funds from the taxpayers of the city to the University of Louisville Athletics Association."

Last edited:

Anybody heard any updates on this incident?
Me neither.

How did you leave off June 2017 - NCAA announces penalties for #HookersInDorms including vacating games from 2012-2014?

Or February 2017 - UofL files response in defense of #HookersInDorms claiming they received no benefit from the violations because they got discounts on the services and the recruits didn't like it.

How about the BB player who beat his Gf's dad with a hair brush? Preston Knowles. And Chane's pot/underage girls/FF ring antics? And wasn't there a player who was driving like 100 MPH in a car from a booster with weed or something? My memory isn't what it used to be,....Could be either Kevin Ware or Chane Behanan both got citations while driving vehicles which didn't belong to them.

The Darrell Griffith that got picked up for DUI, wasn't Darrell Griffith the ex UL basketball great. How bad would it be to have the same name as some P.O.S. law breaker?

My, My, My. And the UL fans believe we are obsessed with them, because we have a thread that has a million views. If they would get their heads out of the sand, they would realize the enormity of the issues that we discuss, involving the wrongdoing at that glorified community college. Plus, the people that view the aforementioned thread are not all UK fans. Fans of many other programs stop by to see the facts, rather than the naïve nonsense and outright lies on the UL boards. They are going down in flames, and they still want others to believe that all this stuff either did not truly happen, or that it is really no big deal. They are really stupid, to go along with being blind.

How did you leave off June 2017 - NCAA announces penalties for #HookersInDorms including vacating games from 2012-2014?

Or February 2017 - UofL files response in defense of #HookersInDorms claiming they received no benefit from the violations because they got discounts on the services and the recruits didn't like it.
yep. duh.

May have missed it but don't forget Clint Hurtt getting a show cause penalty from Miami violations and remaining on staff at U of L.
yep, forgot that one too. was really trying to keep this on one page in Word. Challenging.

The list of scandals at the University of Louisville in the last few years is nothing short or remarkable. There are so many it's easy to forget most of them. Individual episodes that would be shocking in isolation simply get lost in the shuffle (it occurs to me, maybe this is smart PR!). I tried to list them all, just out of curiosity and a few minutes to kill. 90% of this list comes from an article last summer in the CJ. But there were a few since, and a few prior to that time that weren't included. Here's what I came up with - any come to mind that I am forgetting? Tried to keep each to a single line item for simplicity's sake, otherwise it's overwhelming. heh.

October 2008: Education Dean Robert Felner indicted on federal financial fraud charges.

September 2010: Former baseball player Howes shoots/kills former football player Covington.

October 2011: Kerry Johnson, athletic office manager, indicted for stealing $100k.

May 2011: Susan DeWitt, chemistry department business manager, indicted for stealing $70k.

July 2013: Asst. Law Dean Brandon Hamilton is indicted for stealing $2.4 million.

January 2014: SI “Appalled at Petrino Hiring: Louisville shows it only cares about winning”.

April 2014: Perry Vaughn, director in Med School, indicted for stealing $2.8 million.

November 2014: Cheerleader dies of heroin overdose in football player's room.

January 2015: Former player sues school, Coach Strong for injuries in locker-room beating.

February 2015: Chris Jones dismissed from basketball team after charges of rape, sodomy.

May 2015: Ramsey, Willinhnganz, Smith paid $5.5 million deferred comp from Foundation.

July 2015: Ramsey comp ($1.7 million) 2.5 times ACC average, UofL last place academically.

August 2015: Kentucky Supreme Court finds UofL athletics liable for hostile work environment.

October 2015: Ramsey and staff pose for a photo at a Halloween party in Hispanic costumes.

October 2015: SI cover story “Louisville Athletics Is Dangerous Culture for Women”.

November 2015: Deborah Dietzler, alumni relations, fired for using school funds for personal use.

December 2015: Dunn/Hancock/Bessette fired from health sciences dept. for theft of $7.6 million.

February 2016: In response to #HookersinDorms, Louisville self-imposes post-season ban.

June 2016: Governor Bevin fires and replaces Board of Trustees.

July 2016: Jim Ramsey is forced to resign immediately, receives $700,000 payout.

November 2016: SI: “Louisville's ethics in question again with handling of Wake Forest scandal.”

June 2017: Foundation audit reveals “disturbing picture of financial excess and secrecy”.

2010 & Ongoing: Sweetheart YUM! Center Lease. Arena Authority (meaning taxpayers!) loses $17 million annually; school profits $27 million annually. Louisville Metro Councilman Bill Hollander: "the lease has amounted to a transfer of funds from the taxpayers of the city to the University of Louisville Athletics Association."
Add Jurich had to pay over $350,000 to settle sexual harassment lawsuit.

Would it be reaching too far to add Julie Hermann to the list? The U of L assistant athletic director that went to Rutgers and started her own list of scandals. I always hear about Pitino's coaching tree, she sure sounds like a branch of the Jurich athletic director tree.

Hispanic costumes? Come on now, don't water down your list with PC nonsense.
Didn't bother me much, but caused (predictably) a ton of bad press. For better or worse that offended some folks more than just about anything else on the list. The point wasn't to list things that bother me, but rather things that gave Louisville a black eye....

you also forgot two bball players having to be tazed by the police

if it were any other school(s) besides ul, it would be hard to believe that any school could be that corrupt and have so many scandals

Didn't bother me much, but caused (predictably) a ton of bad press. For better or worse that offended some folks more than just about anything else on the list. The point wasn't to list things that bother me, but rather things that gave Louisville a black eye....

I get it, it adds to the list, but man, people are insane. If that bothers someone, you're mentally ill.

I get it, it adds to the list, but man, people are insane. If that bothers someone, you're mentally ill.
You have to appreciate the irony, though. It was a self inflicted PC wound by one of the most PC places on earth - a college campus. Perpetrated by the Uni Prez.

Reactions: morgousky
You have to appreciate the irony, though. It was a self inflicted PC wound by one of the most PC places on earth - a college campus. Perpetrated by the Uni Prez.

True. Man, these kids are f'd. Thank God I had a father who taught me who the psychos are, and who to look out for at college. Radical commie professors that were hippies in the 60's have destroyed tbis country's youth. Completely contaminated the well. Im not sure America will recover from it at this point.

January 2014: SI “Appalled at Petrino Hiring: Louisville shows it only cares about winning”.

November 2014: Cheerleader dies of heroin overdose in football player's room.

August 2015: Kentucky Supreme Court finds UofL athletics liable for hostile work environment.

June 2016: Governor Bevin fires and replaces Board of Trustees.

I wish I could make this my sig

Clint Hurtt
Illegally dumping toxic waste
All of the fraudulent foundation spending
Pres. wife's cars
Etc...

Reactions: TopCatCal
Old school list, you know, history:

October 1993: Center Cliff Rozier arrested for public intoxication/resisting arrest after allegedly urinating in a public fountain in downtown Louisville.

Summer 1995: Samaki Walker's mysterious 1991 Honda Accord eventually lands UL on probation for impermissible benefits in 1996.

September 1998:
NCAA bans UL from postseason play for 1999 season after school was placed on probation for the second time in two years - recruiting violations and impermissible benefits - and considered a "repeat violator" of NCAA rules.

December 2003: Pitino takes leave of absence to treat "undisclosed medical condition" at Cleveland Clinic. This is around the time of his dinner party with Sypher.

September 2007:
Troubled UL linebcker Willie Williams arrested for marijuana possession during a traffic stop, which isn't a big deal to me, BUT Williams tried to eat the pot before the cops came to the window and failed miserably.

February 2008: UL cornerback Rod Council attempts to rob convenience store with an uzi. He was released from prison in 2015.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/1/the-ul-sexual-harassment-lawsuit-you-may-not-have-heard-about/

September 2010

Mary Banker complained to the UL Human Resources Department after she was forced to do different tasks than the other male coaches in the department, including being asked to bake cookies, bat her eyes and flip her hair. After her complaint, the Athletic Department decided not to renew her contract and she was let go from the University. She sued and last Friday, won a $371,000 verdict against Tommy Turtleneck’s Department.

ADVERTISEMENT