ADVERTISEMENT

NUMBER ONE: UK has top-ranked class (again)

If it wasn't for Raymond Felton's nephew, UNC wouldn't have any recruit ranked above 120.

Me like...

Reactions: Deli owl
lYHMn1n3U9GTY37VA3ogqr6OiHs=.gif

I wonder how many times we had the number one class before Cal arrived? And since he's been the coach?

Not sure the answer, but I do know one thing: When Cal leaves, it's gonna be TOUGH to re-adjust expectations...

The Cats have the same number of titles, and twice as many Final Four appearances, as UNC-Cheats in the eyars since Cal got to Lexington. In the six years between 10-15 Kentucky went further in the tournament every year but one.

Roy's system is to recruit 5-stars, hold them back, then build to a solid team every 4-5 years - 05, 09, 12, 16-17. Joel Berry, Theo Pinson and Justin Jackson were all ranked much higher than Devin Booker and around the same place as Trey Lyles. The two Kentucky players are multi-millionaires. Jackson has already lost $2-5 million and Pinson and Berry will be out much more than that if they ever make the league. You could list examples like that all day - MacAdoo, Hairston, and on and on, back to guys like McCants and Ellington who were top ten recruits out of high school and NEVER caught up with the money they'd have made playing for Cal.

Kentucky fans would roast Cal for Roy's approach -- build a team over 3-5 years, then go into a rebuild. Even if the NCAA completely wimps out, I'd look for UNC-Cheats to fall off for several years. One top 150 recruit this year, I think, and he was the son of Raymond Felton.

I'm not saying Roy doesn't hold kids back. Everybody knows he does.

But as far as X's and O's go, the guy can coach basketball. There isn't any way around that.

That's all I was saying

Reactions: willievic
I wonder how many times we had the number one class before Cal arrived? And since he's been the coach?

Not sure the answer, but I do know one thing: When Cal leaves, it's gonna be TOUGH to re-adjust expectations...
I would rather not think about that. There are better xo coaches out there, but no one will be able to bring in the kind of talent on a consistent basis that he has.

I love Cal's recruiting, but more important to me, is to hang No. 9. I could care less about how many leave after one year, to the NBA, or how much money they make.
I don't really care if were No. 1 in recruiting. I just want to be No.1 when the last game is played in 2018.
We don't hang banners for being No. 1 in recruiting, or putting players in the NBA after one year.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

That article has video highlights for "Number 1 Player DeAndre Ayton," lists him as number 3 in a parenthetical, and then discusses "the second ranked playerr [sic] in the class in Ayton." All within 6" of screen space on a big monitor. Editors must be expensive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT