ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure about new playoff format

If there were a 12 team playoff this year 1 thru 8 would have looked like this

1 - Michigan
2- Washington
3- Florida State (Since they were undefeated and would have been in anyway, the committee would have gone this direction)
4 - Texas
5- Alabama
6 - Georgia
7- Ohio State
8 - Oregon
9 - Missouri
10 - Ole Miss
11 - Penn State
12 - Liberty - Bone thrown to the non-Power Conference

So, this year the BIG Ten would have had 5 counting Washington and Oregon. The SEC 5 counting Texas.

Michigan won the Natty. But in a 12-team playoff. Georgia would have 3 peated IMO.
Interesting, however if you project this ranking onto next years revised conference line up, you have to give a slot to the Big-12 conference champ. This would likely bump Penn St out of the playoffs.

If there were a 12 team playoff this year 1 thru 8 would have looked like this

1 - Michigan
2- Washington
3- Florida State (Since they were undefeated and would have been in anyway, the committee would have gone this direction)
4 - Texas
5- Alabama
6 - Georgia
7- Ohio State
8 - Oregon
9 - Missouri
10 - Ole Miss
11 - Penn State
12 - Liberty - Bone thrown to the non-Power Conference

So, this year the BIG Ten would have had 5 counting Washington and Oregon. The SEC 5 counting Texas.

Michigan won the Natty. But in a 12-team playoff. Georgia would have 3 peated IMO.
Realistically, with the expanded 12-team format, what are the chances that Kentucky will ever get a chance. Being second in the East, with a good overall record, probably does it, based on Missouri ...

There are no more divisions, so I would say 10 regular season wins would be the floor to get you in the conversation.
Thanks for the reply, as I did not realize there were no more divisions now. Do you think 10 wins can get us in, without upgrading the OOC schedule a little bit ???

BTW ... every time I see your handle, I cannot help but think of Alan Cutler saying something like: "It's because of the deeeeeeefense !!!" :)

• Haha
Reactions: Deeeefense
Not about number of wins. Just what is the perception of how good a team is by the media, rankers, and analysts. Could be 9-3 team with 3 close losses to top 10 teams. IMO the 3rd best team in the SEC gets in every year (along with the 2 who play for the SEC championship).

Playing diff out of conference opponents is irrelevant

Thanks for the reply, as I did not realize there were no more divisions now. Do you think 10 wins can get us in, without upgrading the OOC schedule a little bit ???

BTW ... every time I see your handle, I cannot help but think of Alan Cutler saying something like: "It's because of the deeeeeeefense !!!" :)
Our OOC schedule is the same as most Power5 schools, so that won't matter. 10-2 gets Kentucky into the playoffs. Just looking at next year, that means UK would go 2-2 against the following teams...Alabama, Texas, Ole Miss and Tennessee. You win the rest of your games and go 2-2 against that group and you're in.

Our OOC schedule is the same as most Power5 schools, so that won't matter. 10-2 gets Kentucky into the playoffs. Just looking at next year, that means UK would go 2-2 against the following teams...Alabama, Texas, Ole Miss and Tennessee. You win the rest of your games and go 2-2 against that group and you're in.

I don't believe 10-2 is an automatic invite. You know ND will get in with 10-2 just because they are ND. Them and the 5 other guaranteed spots leaves 6 spot.there was an undefeated team and 2 1 loss teams. Oregon, Oklahoma, OM, Missouri, PSU were all 2 loss teams. This may have been an unusual year I don't know. But how will they determine which team or teams would have been ou this year? I think strength is schedule will be one of the variables used.

Reactions: megablue
Do you think 10 wins can get us in, without upgrading the OOC schedule a little bit ???
10 is the floor IMO. Rather or not 10 gets you in depends on how your record and schedule compare to other teams. Any SEC schedule is going to look better than an ACC or B12 schedule so I don't think they have to schedule any more P5 OOC opponents, in fact doing so would create too much schedule stress IMO and probably keep us from getting 10.

I don't believe 10-2 is an automatic invite. You know ND will get in with 10-2 just because they are ND. Them and the 5 other guaranteed spots leaves 6 spot.there was an undefeated team and 2 1 loss teams. Oregon, Oklahoma, OM, Missouri, PSU were all 2 loss teams. This may have been an unusual year I don't know. But how will they determine which team or teams would have been ou this year? I think strength is schedule will be one of the variables used.
Automatic invite might be a little strong. There has been one SEC team with 2 or fewer losses that has missed the NY6 since the CFP went into play 10 years ago. The other 22 have made it. A few 3 loss teams have gotten in also. I think with the schedule getting tougher with the additions of Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC and Washington, Oregon, UCLA and USC in the Big10....being a 2 loss team in one of those 2 conferences is going to be really hard for the committee to keep out.

I favored an 8 team playoff. If the 12 team playoff had been played this year according to the final committee rankings, the first round games wouldn't have been all that interesting: two repeat conference games, the Liberty game, and one good game: Missouri at Oregon.

I think the biggest job for the committee in the future is going to be manipulating the final seedings to prevent intra-conference games between all the likely SEC and B1G teams. Or maybe do like March Madness and have a rule to prevent first round games between teams from the same conference.

If the 12 team playoff were played this year:

First Round GamesWinner plays....
#12 Liberty at #5 FSU#4 Alabama
#11 Mississippi at #6 Georgia#3 Texas
#10 Penn State at #7 Ohio State#2 Washington
#9 Missouri at #8 Oregon#1 Michigan

The rest of the playoff would be the #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 bracket just like this year.

Automatic invite might be a little strong. There has been one SEC team with 2 or fewer losses that has missed the NY6 since the CFP went into play 10 years ago. The other 22 have made it. A few 3 loss teams have gotten in also. I think with the schedule getting tougher with the additions of Texas and Oklahoma in the SEC and Washington, Oregon, UCLA and USC in the Big10....being a 2 loss team in one of those 2 conferences is going to be really hard for the committee to keep out.

I agree it will be hard to keep one of them out. But with 5 automatic bids, ND very likely getting an invite, which leaves 6 at large spots. What that shows me is no matter how many get in, the one just outside will complain.

And many of them want Muschamp to replace the DC they just lost. I just can't see Muschamp working for that clown.
I’d trade Muschamp for White in a heartbeat and find a way to pay him $1.5-2m to come here. Heck of a recruiter and DC, just not HC material.

As far as the playoffs, you can expect a JMU or Liberty type team to get in though they’d get trounced. There’s always going to be a media darling underdog imo that much of the nation would cheer for.

Texas and Ole Miss are top ten teams in the early ESPN ranking and we play them on the road, also have UGA at home who is #1. Going to be crazy from here on out, hope I’m wrong but I see our conference ceiling as 5-3 unless the schedule and roster stars align. Do agree that 10-2 in the expanded SEC will get a team in.

SEC and Big10 will each get 3 teams and remainder of spots will be filled for purposes of talking heads. Finals will be 2 SEC teams or 1 SEC 1 Big10 team every year. Playoff interest will wane over time if this happens.
I completely disagree with that lol. The big ten now includes the west coast as well it’s not like only one part of the country would be involved

I’d trade Muschamp for White in a heartbeat and find a way to pay him $1.5-2m to come here. Heck of a recruiter and DC, just not HC material.

As far as the playoffs, you can expect a JMU or Liberty type team to get in though they’d get trounced. There’s always going to be a media darling underdog imo that much of the nation would cheer for.

That pretty much describes Muschamp to a tee. Very intense guy, but when his son got in the Orange Bowl for a couple series he actually has a big grin on his face after a pretty nice run.

Kirby, Muschamp and Bobo are old friends back to their playing days in Athens. Thanks to Florida and SCarolina he hasn't minded working for a bargain. I really like UGA's defensive staff, I think you have a hard time finding a better one. But the offensive staff just doesn't exite .e.

I completely disagree with that lol. The big ten now includes the west coast as well it’s not like only one part of the country would be involved
West Coast may be in Big10, but it does not mean they will be any better than they have been since USC was good. Champion 9 out of 10 years will be SEC team or a Big10 team East of Mason Divon line. All the other teams outside of these two Conferences are fluff. West Coast and Northeast US only care about pro football and basketball.

Well this won’t happen, but it would be my favorite idea for college football.
Play the bowl games just like they did pre-BCS. Make them “elimination games”.
Put your NY6 winners in along with the 2 highest rated teams to win non NY6 Bowls.

Well this won’t happen, but it would be my favorite idea for college football.
Play the bowl games just like they did pre-BCS. Make them “elimination games”.
Put your NY6 winners in along with the 2 highest rated teams to win non NY6 Bowls.
I'm pretty sure they will make at least some of these games bowls. The timing will be difficult to work out though since there will be 3 rounds. The national championship game might be pushed into mid to late January.

Let’s play “what if”. What if you went 10-2 along with a couple of other teams and because of tie breakers this meant you played a one loss team in the conference championship. This one loss team defeats you and now you are 10-3. Do you think this team will get priority over one and two loss teams from other conferences with infinitely easier schedules? I’m not sure.

I agree it will be hard to keep one of them out. But with 5 automatic bids, ND very likely getting an invite, which leaves 6 at large spots. What that shows me is no matter how many get in, the one just outside will complain.
If it was 32 #33 would complain.

I think Notre dame either needs to shit or get off the pot. If they are going to play 6 acc games (I’m thinking that’s how many they played this year) then they should be counted as an acc representative. If they have the best ACC record and the acc gets an automatic bid , then it should be Notre Dame .

Reactions: BigTyrone
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT