ADVERTISEMENT

Not sure about new playoff format

But I can see LSU Bama UT Ole MissTexas and UGA all in.
Actually its time to end conference championship games. The SEC will probably have 6 it of the top 12 teams. When they go to 16 teams it might even be 8 of the field. But can argue with that realisticly? Kentucky and Mizzou might join the party- or Florida or Auburn or Oklahoma - the SEC is loaded - and everyone now knows it!

Go Big Blue!

Sec will not get 6 teams in the playoff. You know osu, mich and psu will be in, the group team and if possible ND. Can't see the champion of one of the other ?2 :ć
It’s going to be SEC and Big Ten dominated. I can easily see 8 of the teams from those two conferences.

Now I could see 4 getting in. As we saw this year the selection committee can put whoever they want in. FSU was third, won their conference, a P5 conference and was undefeated. Yet gets dropped out of top 4 to get Bama, who rose an unprecedented 4 spots, and Texas because they beat Bama. About the only bright side of this is both l I St in first round.

The playoffs are all about making money, I don't think they will put 10 teams in from 2 conferences and omit others.

Reactions: KYExtemper
Sec will not get 6 teams in the playoff. You know osu, mich and psu will be in, the group team and if possible ND. Can't see the champion of one of the other ?2 :ć

Now I could see 4 getting in. As we saw this year the selection committee can put whoever they want in. FSU was third, won their conference, a P5 conference and was undefeated. Yet gets dropped out of top 4 to get Bama, who rose an unprecedented 4 spots, and Texas because they beat Bama. About the only bright side of this is both l I St in first round.

The playoffs are all about making money, I don't think they will put 10 teams in from 2 conferences and omit others.
SEC and Big10 will each get 3 teams and remainder of spots will be filled for purposes of talking heads. Finals will be 2 SEC teams or 1 SEC 1 Big10 team every year. Playoff interest will wane over time if this happens.

SEC and Big10 will each get 3 teams and remainder of spots will be filled for purposes of talking heads. Finals will be 2 SEC teams or 1 SEC 1 Big10 team every year. Playoff interest will wane over time if this happens.

3-4 is not 6. And I can see Big10 getting an extra team in, they have more teams. If it was active this year I could see them getting 5 in, SEC 5 , Liberty the group team, ACC gets 1. But Big 12 and ACC won't be down forever and will get teams in soon .

I don't really have a clue as what is going to happen.

An interesting thing about the CFB playoffs that start in 11 months.....as of now there is no TV deal. None. And that tells me they told the networks what they expected to be paid and were told...no thank you.

• Wow
Reactions: Tskware
3-4 is not 6. And I can see Big10 getting an extra team in, they have more teams. If it was active this year I could see them getting 5 in, SEC 5 , Liberty the group team, ACC gets 1. But Big 12 and ACC won't be down forever and will get teams in soon .

I don't really have a clue as what is going to happen.
I think ACC and Big12 get automatic bids along with SEC and Big10. I think 2 bids are filled by teams like Liberty and SMU. I am sure I forgot someone else's automatic bid. This at best leaves 5 or 6 open spots.

I think ACC and Big12 get automatic bids along with SEC and Big10. I think 2 bids are filled by teams like Liberty and SMU. I am sure I forgot someone else's automatic bid. This at best leaves 5 or 6 open spots.

No. Only one cupcake is promised a bid.

They have to update the rules since the pac 12 is gone and when they do it will be 4 conference champs and highest group of 5 and 7 at large.

I agree with grumpy that no way one conference gets 5 of those 7 at large. It will be 3 and 3 in sec and big 10 and maybe 4 in one or both some years.

I agree with the other poster that conference title games are kinda dumb now as theu can knock the loser out of the top 12 potentially I'm a conference like big 12 and acc if both teams were in top 12 going n.

Reactions: satcheluk

They have to update the rules since the pac 12 is gone and when they do it will be 4 conference champs and highest group of 5 and 7 at large.

I agree with grumpy that no way one conference gets 5 of those 7 at large. It will be 3 and 3 in sec and big 10 and maybe 4 in one or both some years.

I agree with the other poster that conference title games are kinda dumb now as theu can knock the loser out of the top 12 potentially I'm a conference like big 12 and acc if both teams were in top 12 going n.
They are not giving up Conference Championship in SEC, all that TV money comes to Conference only.

I guarantee 2 at large every year with 12 teams in. Odds are ACC and Big12 will get Conference Champion and runner up each year. That leaves for most years 3 from SEC and 3 from Big10 but some years 1 or both will get 4. I do not see SEC or Big 10 ever getting 5, too many politics involved.

They are not giving up Conference Championship in SEC, all that TV money comes to Conference only.
Definitely. If it comes down to it Birmingham will just script the game. Zebras will pull one out for whatever team needs the win for one or both to remain top 12.

Definitely. If it comes down to it Birmingham will just script the game. Zebras will pull one out for whatever team needs the win for one or both to remain top 12.
I think there is a possibility of a scripted game but no longer having Divisions probably assures minimum of 3 teams in playoff and most years 4.

No. Look at their schedules. Of those 6 teams 2 will have 4 losses, 2 will have 3. Only 2 of them will finish with 1 loss, nobody goes undefeated.

I mean, they DO have to play each other a lot, and somebody has to take the L's.

The CFB playoffs will be 3 or 4 SEC, 3 or 4 Big 10, Notre Dame probably 75% of the time, 1 or 2 ACC, 1 Big 12, 1 group of 5. I don't see a year ever where the SEC or Big 10 only put in 2, both will be minimum 3 yearly.

Last edited:
Reactions: TM2013

The top 2 sec teams will always get in. The top 2 big 10 teams will always get in. These top 2 will be n conference title games each season.

My point about conference championships being stupid at this point is more for big 12 and acc going forward.

And I know it's all about the money and they will never go away. The chance to play for a bye n playoff will make teams care as well. I don't agree with a team ranked 10th getting a bye though and that could happen in acc or big 12 some seasons.

I believe SMU will be in ACC next fall. And I think the reason a group is included is to avoid court. So it comes down to 7 at large spots. We both know ND gets a spot if the are close to being good.

I think SEC and Big10 get 3 maybe 4 teams in occasionally.

I get everyone wants in the playoffs. I use to think S. Carolina had the most delusional fanbase, but they can't hold a light to Missouri's. They are convinced not only playoff bound, but winning it next year. And are ready to give Drinkowitz 15m a year before someone steals him away. And many of them want Muschamp to replace the DC they just lost. I just can't see Muschamp working for that clown.

An interesting thing about the CFB playoffs that start in 11 months.....as of now there is no TV deal. None. And that tells me they told the networks what they expected to be paid and were told...no thank you.
ESPN has the semis and finals the next 2 seasons. The issue seems to be that networks aren’t too keen on a short term 2 year deal to have the first and second round games.

They will have no problem getting a tons of money after ESPN no longer has the rights to the 3 most important games and it’s a bidding war to get all 11 games.

Reactions: grevey35

The max they can get from the SEC and Big 10 is 9 total. This year, 9 teams made the NY6 that will be in the SEC and Big 10 next year. The first 2 teams out were also SEC teams next year.

It will be what it should be. The top 10 teams who can all claim that they meet some, if not all of the criteria. Then a couple of Cinderella types for a good first weekend story.

Ole Miss, FSU, Missouri, UL types this year...

I'm not certain how strong of a case the Liberty, Tulane, and James Madison types will have. The separation at the highest levels of CFB is what it is.

I mean forget the gap from top tier to G5/mid major, look at the difference between UGA and FSU, UT Iowa, even Ole Miss and Penn St.

The first year or two we may see some Cinderellas sneak in, but I think that if it's going to be boat races, the committee will change course. Ratings and add dollars will take a hit. Nobody wants to see that.

We may get to the point where it's not just the BCS Playoffs, but a BCS league forms. About 30-40 programs will be eligible. They may cut it off at 30 then maybe there's another 20-30 that form something that's not quite BCS, but more competitive and more money than the rest of the 250 D1.

They may play one another still and be like Euro soccer. Teams can move up and down based on performance.

Missouri did good this year so they're in. USC farted up the joint so they're moving down.

I believe SMU will be in ACC next fall. And I think the reason a group is included is to avoid court. So it comes down to 7 at large spots. We both know ND gets a spot if the are close to being good.

I think SEC and Big10 get 3 maybe 4 teams in occasionally.

I get everyone wants in the playoffs. I use to think S. Carolina had the most delusional fanbase, but they can't hold a light to Missouri's. They are convinced not only playoff bound, but winning it next year. And are ready to give Drinkowitz 15m a year before someone steals him away. And many of them want Muschamp to replace the DC they just lost. I just can't see Muschamp working for that clown.
Cannot disagree with anything you said and I had not thought about SMU going to ACC, good take.

Cannot disagree with anything you said and I had not thought about SMU going to ACC, good take.

And they are going without getting any media money for the current contract. From what I read a group of about 10 alumni got together, the leader said he needed a 500m committment to get into the ACC and he had it in a matter of minutes. Small alumni base but apparently some wealthy ones.

And they are going without getting any media money for the current contract. From what I read a group of about 10 alumni got together, the leader said he needed a 500m committment to get into the ACC and he had it in a matter of minutes. Small alumni base but apparently some wealthy ones.
Going back to the Southwest Conference when they got the death penalty they have always had wealthy alum. I guess many made their money in oil.

Sec will not get 6 teams in the playoff.
You might be right.

Buuuuut look at this year’s NYD6 teams: Alabama, Georgia, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Texas.

That six teams from next year’s 16 team footprint.

It might happen, occasionally!!

You might be right.

Buuuuut look at this year’s NYD6 teams: Alabama, Georgia, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Texas.

I suppose as long as ESPN is a bid deal in the playoffs there is a chance, but if Texas and OU were in the SEC this year I would think at least one and maybe 2 wouldn't have been in those games. I would go with Missouri, OU and OM as the 3 most likely out. But 1 likely stayed in, not sure which one

You might be right.

You would take off Oklahoma; they weren't a NY6 team. You take off one other team; that would go to the charity spot for Liberty. That would leave four, which is still pretty impressive.

Actually its time to end conference championship games. The SEC will probably have 6 it of the top 12 teams. When they go to 16 teams it might even be 8 of the field. But can argue with that realisticly? Kentucky and Mizzou might join the party- or Florida or Auburn or Oklahoma - the SEC is loaded - and everyone now knows it!

Go Big Blue!
I bet you aren't an accountant or responsible for cash flow where you work.

It will be what it should be. The top 10 teams who can all claim that they meet some, if not all of the criteria. Then a couple of Cinderella types for a good first weekend story.

Ole Miss, FSU, Missouri, UL types this year...

I'm not certain how strong of a case the Liberty, Tulane, and James Madison types will have. The separation at the highest levels of CFB is what it is.

I mean forget the gap from top tier to G5/mid major, look at the difference between UGA and FSU, UT Iowa, even Ole Miss and Penn St.

The first year or two we may see some Cinderellas sneak in, but I think that if it's going to be boat races, the committee will change course. Ratings and add dollars will take a hit. Nobody wants to see that.

We may get to the point where it's not just the BCS Playoffs, but a BCS league forms. About 30-40 programs will be eligible. They may cut it off at 30 then maybe there's another 20-30 that form something that's not quite BCS, but more competitive and more money than the rest of the 250 D1.

They may play one another still and be like Euro soccer. Teams can move up and down based on performance.

Missouri did good this year so they're in. USC farted up the joint so they're moving down.
Relegation won't work. The moment you are relegated it will destroy your recruiting.

Yeah, the next big seismic shift in college sports will be a breakaway top 20, top 30 CFB schools forming their own league/conference, making their own TV deal & playoff. And just play each other. There is just too much money going to non serious non drawing schools.

Eventually Michigan & Ohio are gonna realize sharing tens of millions with Purdue and Rutgers makes zero sense. Alabama and Texas are gonna think the same about Vandy and Miss St.

"Oh you can't kick anyone out of the SEC!". Yeah, they won't, just the top money earning schools will leave the SEC, leave the Big 10 and form their own Premier League. And they will be there to stay, there ain't gonna be any relegation or chance one could get kicked out or someone new gets let in.

Yeah, the next big seismic shift in college sports will be a breakaway top 20, top 30 CFB schools forming their own league/conference, making their own TV deal & playoff. And just play each other. There is just too much money going to non serious non drawing schools.

Eventually Michigan & Ohio are gonna realize sharing tens of millions with Purdue and Rutgers makes zero sense. Alabama and Texas are gonna think the same about Vandy and Miss St.

"Oh you can't kick anyone out of the SEC!". Yeah, they won't, just the top money earning schools will leave the SEC, leave the Big 10 and form their own Premier League. And they will be there to stay, there ain't gonna be any relegation or chance one could get kicked out or someone new gets let in.

I really can't argue against anything you posted, you may not be 100% correct but at least 75%.

But I watched the finals of the division 2 or whatever it was yesterday and really enjoyed it. Everyone of those guys were there because they wanted to play football, not collect a huge NIL.

Relegation won't work. The moment you are relegated it will destroy your recruiting.
Yeah, it's all conjecture at this point. The final form on the other end of all this evolution and the details are still TBD.

I certainly see that could be a concern if that type of thing is where things trended.

However, I would counter point that in a world of portal and players getting paid, I'm not sure it will be a huge deal.

We now live in a world where Ohio State and Georgia starters are transferring to Syracuse and Kentucky...essentially "relegating" down. Dawgs had a CB go to Purdue as well...I mean just look at the transfer out list of all the programs every year...not every player is upgrading. Especially if they're leaving a top 5-10 program.

Same goes for basketball. How many kids have we seen transfer from this basketball program...to Washington, Gonzaga, etc... same goes for the other blue bloods...the NIT year didn't really hurt our recruiting, nor did the 9-win year...

Every year a lot of solid talent at upper end programs and/or P5, move down in program and/or conference.

USC, just went 7-5, a bad year...their recruiting class, portal and high school, is solid.

Any top end NY6 bowl or play off program that has an off year and ends up playing earlier in bowl season as opposed to later, is essentially a move down, but it doesn't really hurt them long term.

Yeah, it's all conjecture at this point. The final form on the other end of all this evolution and the details are still TBD.

I certainly see that could be a concern if that type of thing is where things trended.

However, I would counter point that in a world of portal and players getting paid, I'm not sure it will be a huge deal.

We now live in a world where Ohio State and Georgia starters are transferring to Syracuse and Kentucky...essentially "relegating" down. Dawgs had a CB go to Purdue.

Same goes for basketball. How many kids have we seen transfer from this basketball program...to Washington, Gonzaga, etc... same goes for the other blue bloods...the NIT year didn't really hurt our recruiting, nor did the 9-win year...

Every year a lot of solid talent at upper end programs and/or P5, move down in program and/or conference.

USC, just went 7-5, a bad year...their recruiting class, portal and high school, is solid.

Any top end NY6 bowl or play off program that has an off year and ends up playing earlier in bowl season as opposed to later, is essentially a move down, but it doesn't really hurt them long term.

Liberty already has a spot.
You're right. I don't know why I forgot Liberty was in, anyway, even though it's a joke that they were. Though, going forward, the Big 12 would have had a spot- this year was Texas, so, in a hypothetical 12 team playoff, with Texas in the SEC, a different team would have taken a spot (not that of Texas, of course).

In most years, I'd guess 4 SEC, 3 or 4 Big 10, 1 or 2 Big 12, 1 or 2 ACC, and the charity invite for the riff-raff. The SEC probably would get about 8 or 9 except that the rest of the world would wail and wail.

Reactions: The-Hack
If there were a 12 team playoff this year 1 thru 8 would have looked like this

1 - Michigan
2- Washington
3- Florida State (Since they were undefeated and would have been in anyway, the committee would have gone this direction)
4 - Texas
5- Alabama
6 - Georgia
7- Ohio State
8 - Oregon
9 - Missouri
10 - Ole Miss
11 - Penn State
12 - Liberty - Bone thrown to the non-Power Conference

So, this year the BIG Ten would have had 5 counting Washington and Oregon. The SEC 5 counting Texas.

Michigan won the Natty. But in a 12-team playoff. Georgia would have 3 peated IMO.

Last edited:
If there were a 12 team playoff this year 1 thru 8 would have looked like this

1 - Michigan
2- Washington
3- Florida State (Since they were undefeated and would have been in anyway, the committee would have gone this direction)
4 - Texas
5- Alabama
6 - Georgia
7- Ohio State
8 - Oregon

So, this year the BIG Ten would have had 4 counting Washington and Oregon. The SEC 3 counting Texas. I don't think Liberty would have got in. Missouri, Ole Miss, and Penn State would have been first 3 out.

Michigan won the Natty. But in an 8-game playoff. Georgia would have 3 peated IMO.
Which signals to me that the right number of playoff teams would probably be 6 not 12. With 6 you capture every team that has a legitimate shot at winning it all. Having said that I'm excited that they field will be 12 which means the CATS will have a shot at making it in good years. But honestly I'm willing to bet that 7-12 never wins it all in fact I serious doubt they ever make it to the title game.

Which signals to me that the right number of playoff teams would probably be 6 not 12. With 6 you capture every team that has a legitimate shot at winning it all. Having said that I'm excited that they field will be 12 which means the CATS will have a shot at making it in good years. But honestly I'm willing to bet that 7-12 never wins it all in fact I serious doubt they ever make it to the title game.
Ohio State is a pretty strong 7 seed. Their 1 loss coming on the road at Michigan by 6, with a chance to win the game. After seeing what Michigan can do, OSU would have had a legit shot.

Ohio State is a pretty strong 7 seed. Their 1 loss coming on the road at Michigan by 6, with a chance to win the game. After seeing what Michigan can do, OSU would have had a legit shot.
Yep and I would definitely but them ahead of FSU, who obviously would have had no shot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT