ADVERTISEMENT

Not gonna lie. Losing Cal so abruptly and the timeliness of it sucked for me. But...

Guys it's okay to admit what we think might be some flaws of the team, I see athleticism and shot creation being a couple as well. Of course Pope's offense is more geared to not be hindered by that as much as Cal's offense would, but there will be times it's an issue. Why act like everything is going to be perfect always?
Exactly. I am glad someone sees things without blue tinted glasses on. It IS ok to have concerns and not mean you are bashing Pope. Which is why I posted the points per game in his 11 losses last year. Obviously they had trouble scoring when the teams took away the 3. Which is why BYU only averaged less than 64 points per game when it happened. Some posters think if you do not bow down and say everything is perfect, then you are dogging the team. That is not the case, I just know things will not always be perfect and we do have some flaws. Hell that is why we are picked to finished 8th JUST in the SEC. If the offense was that much of a sure thing, we would be rated a hell of a lot more higher. It is not just me, EVERY media member and coaches think the exact same thing. But I guess we are all hating on UK and Pope. LOL.

Reactions: UKortho
Lol, these mythical sets will just result in wide open buckets, in crunch time? Cmon, now. We needed a shot-creator, we didn't get one. Hopefully we can overcome that.
Your point is well taken (which is why I “liked” it). But assuming the offense allows for such opportunities, UK will have two very powerfully built drivers in Oweh and Butler that can take the contact and score. Plus, I think people forget about Carr’s post-up scoring ability due to his 3pt. shooting. Carr is not just the proverbial stretch 4 that shoots the 3 well but only gives a lick-and-a-promise to rebounding. We can’t say for sure who might emerge over the season, but right now how many better post up options at the PF spot can you identify in the SEC? Johni Broome (he’s a Center), Grant Nelson (maybe as good as Carr on posting up, but I don’t think it’s fair to say better at this point), Collin Murray-Boyles or Henry Coleman (strong guys but 3-4 inches shorter).

So, I understand the point and agree that more (much more) than 3pt. shooting will be necessary if UK is to be a good team. But I think UK clearly has a personnel advantage over what BYU had last season in regard to interior scoring. That still doesn’t refute the legitimate concerns since we haven’t seen how the offense is going to run, but there are guys on UK’s roster that can score inside the 3pt. line – and I think likely score pretty well.

Maybe not, but it WILL happen several times a game, it just will. Those times are when we will need a guy to step up and get a bucket. I am not saying it will happen 20 times a game, but there will be times it does. Teams know our MO, they will guard the 3 and try to run them off the 3 point line as much as possible, that is when we will see what we are made of.
And often times Cals teams had the ball in the hands of a player that couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean. Imo , multiple good shooters with range are harder to guard than a team of slashers and drivers.

And often times Cals teams had the ball in the hands of a player that couldn’t throw the ball in the ocean. Imo , multiple good shooters with range are harder to guard than a team of slashers and drivers.
They had to check for cracks in the backboard several times after a DJ three point attempt.

• Haha
Reactions: yoshukai
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT