ADVERTISEMENT

Northern Lights Saturday Night

Will this affect our weather patten? Just seems like alot of atmosphere reaction to not affect anything overall.

Will this affect our weather patten? Just seems like alot of atmosphere reaction to not affect anything overall.
It’s more likely to affect satellites than weather. Unless they are strong enough to change the Earth’s spin around its axis, the degree to which it is titles toward/away from the sun, or earth’s orbit around the sun then I doubt it would have any long term impact on our weather patterns. And a solar storm would have to be very strong to do any of those things.

In terms of short term changes, I doubt it but not impossible.

Earth's magnetic field is weakening. It's lost 10% of it's effectiveness. People honestly don't know how much solar storms affect weather. We'd need super computers to work for years to figure out the total effect but a ball with a molten metal core that is magnetic and being bombarded with every type of radiation known, definitely affects the movement of air on the surface.

Also the poles are shifting which geologically would lead to a pole reversal.

I've seen some experiments with glass globes filled with smoke and then put under different light sources and the smoke will move differently.

The weather has been about perfect past couple days. I think I’m leaning pro solar storm.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Nothing much last night.
We drove Woodford County roads looking for a spot. Nothing. However there were strange chains of other cars. Was Woodford everyone’s goto viewing spot?

We would be driving slow looking for a turnout or shoulder and suddenly we’d be the lead car in a parade. Once we took a church driveway to permit the cars to pass and three cars followed us in!

No aurora though.

I thought coal burning global warming caused the northern lights
No according to tree huggers that was cow farts. I don't understand why, since those darn cows are contributing to climate change with all their farts, that anyone gets upset that I grill a big steak. I'm just doing my part to stop climate change.

There was more solar activity today than yesterday so if you missed the show last night you have another chance.

My alliance mate in a mobile game I play sent us some great pictures of the northern lights from Wales, UK. They could really see them amazingly. In southern Indiana the best I got was some green hues here and there.

Reactions: BlueSince92
My alliance mate in a mobile game I play sent us some great pictures of the northern lights from Wales, UK. They could really see them amazingly. In southern Indiana the best I got was some green hues here and there.
Here in Cynthiana I kept going out and never saw spit all night. We don’t have a ton of light pollution here although there is some. But I think more likely what it is, I just read you should look towards the northern horizon to see them. I’m thinking tree cover just blocked too much of my view that direction.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT