ADVERTISEMENT

No offensive movement against the zone

3bombino96

Blue Chip Prospect
Jan 19, 2008
Don't know why we stand around and don't cut to open gaps. My grade school coach taught us to get into gaps for every zone. I think we just have no understanding or aggressiveness against it.

Flash the ball to the free throw line in the middle, a lot can come from doing that and it opens up holes in a zone........

Cats did it twice the entire game.

Middle, zone, corner, short corner, baseline, not reverse the ball over and over and shoot a fade away three

My biggest grip is watching everyone stand around with no movement. We should be running the other team constantly. I hate everyone controlling our pace. Run's, pick's, passes and crash the board.

I might get banned for saying this but it's the truth. This deep team would bring 40 minutes of hell if that other guy was here. :0). I still hate him though. Just think about it lol. It probably would be sicker than it already is. Go CATS!

this team doesnt know how to impose their will on anyone, and the harrisons stand around outside and just pass it around, they never look inside, ifitwasnt for ulis the ball never gets down to our bigs, where they can score,

Yes, he would press, press, press. No way we should not be aggressive and controlling these teams.But, Cal has always been a slow down kinda coach.

Was at the game today. Much more obvious seeing it in person than on TV. Very little movement on offense. If it wasn't for 3 pointers and free throws, I'm not sure we would have scored 20 points.

Originally posted by nerdcat:
Was at the game today. Much more obvious seeing it in person than on TV. Very little movement on offense. If it wasn't for 3 pointers and free throws, I'm not sure we would have scored 20 points.
I just took a good look at the box score. We were 18-64, but 9-28 from 3. We only scored 18 pts from 2 today.

To me, its like we get up the floor, we see they're in a zone, we get a look of, "Oh no!" You can tell it by the body language of our guys. When, it should be, "Yes, they're in a zone!"

We have a terrible passing team. Ulis and Lyles are the two best passers on the team. Ball movement is the key to beating the zone. Standing out front and pounding the dribble or running the weave out front do nothing but guard ourselves for the opposing team. We are not using our talents to put pressure on the other team. This is also why we cannot seem to foul out other teams bigs this year.

Two good points! I'll say this Wiltjer would've definitely helped this team. Think back to the 12 season. We struggled against the zone. Wilt would come in and get 9 or 12 some games, and loosen the zone for us. You'd look at the box score, and be shocked he had that many points.

Please don't come after me but I remember the worst thing about Tubby ball that drove me crazy was the blasted standing around, no ball movement and the guards standing at the top of the key and dribbling the clock away. Today's game brought back bad memories.

0dfc084f-39a9-44c2-9ad6-635996066963.jpg

2-3 Zone offense is not Cal's strong suit. Before I give my opinion, let me say it's based upon playing at the college level as well as multiple years coaching (two at college level under a HOF'er) at college and varsity HS levels. With that out of the way, the CATS zone offense is perplexing at best, awful at worst. It incorporates none or very little of the following good zone offense fundamentals:

*Flare screens on outside of top zone defenders that can lead to . . . .
*Skip passes that will make the bottom defenders help while top defender fights the flare screen which leads to . . .
*the ball side box area/ short corner now being open which leads to the low middle defender and low back side defender having to choose between covering the middle and the ball side box which would then leave the help-side baseline open for
possible lobs. What I've just describe can be accomplished with two passes and can be achieved with the three out two in (high low preferred) set.

This is a staple in zone offenses. Other zone offense fundamentals that you never/rarely see out of the Cats: Overloads, shooters running the baseline, absolutely nothing that stresses the bottom three defenders of the zone. Instead, KY chooses to consistently screen the inside of one of the top defenders and trying to get the top guard into the middle around the FT line. The only problem is that when the guard gets there, the middle low defender easily picks it up and the two low block defenders can still easily cover UK's two bigs that are hanging around the block. When they do flash one of the bigs to the middle, nothing else is happening to stretch the zone - like flares, skip passes, and overloads.

UK's zone offense is a hot mess and it's maddening to watch. Luckily, they are just so damn talented while playing enough good defense themselves that they are able to overcome it. I love what Cal has done and he has infinitely more BB knowledge than myself (I've been out of the game for over decade and am just a casual observer), but jeez, the zone offense is inexcusable.

Ky does not go inside enough for the high percent shot, they settle for outside shots even when they are not hitting..

We're a young team, and Cal always tries to keep it simple. None of our guys are very good at attacking the basket, so their drives aren't very threatening. Our bigs don't deal with getting double teamed well, and we don't shoot it that well. Teams have also started to gang rebound, which means we are usually only getting one shot, eliminating our biggest advantage.

We need to go inside, flash a big high, look to high low, overload a side, run our shooters baseline to baseline. To me, its Tubby flashbacks to the 03 year.

It would help if our bigs inside could make a shot thats not a dunk. Lyles or (even Willis) at the free throw line to shoot it or dump inside or kick to the corner would be a good strategy, IMHO.

I like Trey in the high post or Willis. I like trying to lob over the zone to wcs or Lee, like we did in 12 to Davis and Jones

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT