ADVERTISEMENT

NIL = No Scholly

Mar 25, 2013
It may already be the case, but i am wondering how long before schools that have athletes earning over a certain amount in NIL revoke the full scholarships and start having kids pay for their school. This would essentially make them a walk-on and allow scholarships to be used for incoming freshmen developmental players.

It may already be the case, but i am wondering how long before schools that have athletes earning over a certain amount in NIL revoke the full scholarships and start having kids pay for their school. This would essentially make them a walk-on and allow scholarships to be used for incoming freshmen developmental players.
I hope it does happen. That is bull jive for them to make that much in NIL and get free tuition, room and board. That is a reason I will never give to NIL. I like Pope. But I will give 0 dollars to NIL

Last edited:
I am just wondering when scholarship reductions start. Trim scholarships from 83 to 60 as an example. Could happen as college teams assimilate NFL teams from a compensation standpoint. TV revenue to athletes will reduce total participation in the non revenue producing sports

Why would it matter? It’s not like the classes, room and board are actually costing the University money that isn’t made up 20 times over by students paying tuition.
The money is not what it's about. Schools are restricted to number of scholarships, and there are high school kids that need that initial scholly to get started. NIL players, especially upper classment, should be considered walk-ons and pay their own way.

I can see a scenario where someone offering NIL money could agree to pay the tuition and the player be listed as a Walk-on in order to free up scholarships for others. But I see that being more apt to happen in football than basketball.

I hope it does happen. That is bill jive for them to make that much in NIL and get free tuition, room and board. That is a reason I will never give to NIL. I like Pope. But I will give 0 dollars to NIL
Don’t see the current NIL model withstanding. Money doesn’t grow on trees and wealthy donors/boosters aren’t going to keep pumping millions/year to their favorite schools just to keep landing top athletes at a chance to be competitive. Probably one of the dumbest ways anyone can spend their money.

I'm on board with that. They should be able to pay for their schooling with that much nil.

Reactions: susan2361
I am just wondering when scholarship reductions start. Trim scholarships from 83 to 60 as an example. Could happen as college teams assimilate NFL teams from a compensation standpoint. TV revenue to athletes will reduce total participation in the non revenue producing sports
So the football and basketball players earned the money . Why should they pay for the non revenue sport’s anymore than you or me .

Reactions: Fox2monk
I agree if your NIL is over a certain amount you should pay your own way.

I agree if your NIL is over a certain amount you should pay your own way.
For what purpose? The idea is to attract the talent not invent backdoor ways to find disincentives.

I don't think trying an end around the scholarship limit is going to fly or be a benefit even if it did. The rich will just get even richer.

Here we go again. Boomer doesn't like kids getting their fair market value and wants to come up with some kind of restrictions. It just chaps him up seeing these kids get paid for what they do.

The money is not what it's about. Schools are restricted to number of scholarships, and there are high school kids that need that initial scholly to get started. NIL players, especially upper classment, should be considered walk-ons and pay their own way.
That's not gonna happen

I'm on board with that. They should be able to pay for their schooling with that much nil.
Before that happens they will stop making kids go to class. Let's not act like these players are going for school. You tell a kid he's gotta pay for his classes and he will not be playing college

For what purpose? The idea is to attract the talent not invent backdoor ways to find disincentives.

I don't think trying an end around the scholarship limit is going to fly or be a benefit even if it did. The rich will just get even richer.
It has nothing to do with scholarship limits it has to do with paid mercenaries getting large payments and still getting scholarship benefits. These are not students they are independent contractors.

Reactions: susan2361
It wouldn't work. Schools would just start offering the scholorship in addition to the NIL money to entice players to those schools over the schools that aren't offering scholarships. So it will end up in the exact situation as now.

The best thing to do is allow the market to adjust itself. There is little to no return on investment in companies or people that contribute to NIL. You will start to see companies offering less and less in terms of deals, and the average fan is not going to continue donating $25+ per month. Most people will cancel their Club Blue membership after they make their first donation.

This will result in their being much smaller NIL deals over time. 50k will eventually start looking like a great NIL deal.

I agree completely. I've said this a few times this year with this NIL stuff.

So you want players to pay 100k or so to play out of state at your school? lol! Yeah, your team will be loaded!

Reactions: TM2013
Don’t see the current NIL model withstanding. Money doesn’t grow on trees and wealthy donors/boosters aren’t going to keep pumping millions/year to their favorite schools just to keep landing top athletes at a chance to be competitive. Probably one of the dumbest ways anyone can spend their money.
exactly. if this is a professional sport, it needs to be run as a profit-center. too much of this is baloney.

Why would it matter? It’s not like the classes, room and board are actually costing the University money that isn’t made up 20 times over by students paying tuition.
You just made a good case why college sports sucks a fat one
So you want players to pay 100k or so to play out of state at your school? lol! Yeah, your team will be loaded!
They can have in state tuition

We don't need more open scholarships.
10 or 11 is enough.
Guys like Burks and Hart will never stick around anyway.
The whole premise is far fetched as schools aren't going to do anything that puts them in a recruiting disadvantage.

It has nothing to do with scholarship limits it has to do with paid mercenaries getting large payments and still getting scholarship benefits. These are not students they are independent contractors.
That may not be your concept but several have stated the scholarships impacted could be given to others and that won't likely fly at all.

The whole idea is counterproductive at any rate, we are trying to provide incentives to attract players not invent ways to "punish" them in a snit for accepting the inducements.

This is like saying "If you get paid to work here, NO health insurance!!"

We sound like whinny little babies upset because it appears that the advantage we had as a blue blood doesn't appear to be the case anymore. Instead of complaining, we need to adjust our approach. Are we now to believe that we are incapable of thriving in this new sports world order? I don't think so.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT