ADVERTISEMENT

NIL and boosters?

Genius! However, they must still declare said funds on their tax return, or wait for the IRS to knock on their door. The boys and girls better have good lawyers to navigate those hazards!
I got a lot invested in crypto now.. I have people owe me,, from my floral shop,, pay me in bitcoin instead of cash.. IRS wants hunt me down,, let's play hide n seek.. Lol.. PayPal has option of buying crypto using PayPal money but they send you some IRS form..

I got a lot invested in crypto now.. I have people owe me,, from my floral shop,, pay me in bitcoin instead of cash.. IRS wants hunt me down,, let's play hide n seek.. Lol.. PayPal has option of buying crypto using PayPal money but they send you some IRS form..
Those undercover agents are everywhere, wiretaps, all that 007 stuff.

I was surprised, though, to see that question on the 2020 Form 1040 that asked:

"At any time during 2020, did you receive, sell, send, exchange, or otherwise acquire any financial interest in any virtual currency? Yes or No"

Three options: Yes, I did; No, I didn't, or No Answer. Each answer has a consequence.

Seriously though, they don't care if you got a lot invested in crypto ~ they just want their cut.

I just read some of the UK NIL policy.
Booster can do whatever they want except pay for a game performance of use NIL to entice a particular kid. The 6000 dollar per player deal the guy in Miami offered is all good.
At UK, a kid can have an agent approved by UK to go out and work deals for him/her.
No coach involvement allowed.
Wild West time.

I am not claiming I am correct, but schools are willing to pay coaches 10m a year, what would they pay Trevor Lawrence or another top QB? A&M has an extremely wealthy alumni and fanbase, gave Jimbo 75m to win a championship, what will they pony up for a frosh AA qb alone with 2-3 WR?

I am just afraid that is where we are headed, UK, UGA or anyone finds a great prospect and a super rich booster comes and gets him for his team, how appealing is that and how invested can a fan get?

The system we had previously gave everyone the same opportunity to sign top prospects. Some schools didnt sut the same amount of resources into recruiting as others, that's on the schools that put resources elsewhere. Yes I realize its tougher to pull kids from other places and some places produce more talent. But Cal has a huge budget for BB recruiting, it rivals what Stoops gets for football, at least I think I read that here. He signs a top, if not the top class every year because he has the resources to wine and dine the best players out there. UGA signs a good class in football, because it puts alot into football recruiting, tops in America last I saw well before Covid, i as sc ume it was less with no contact for more than a year.

I guess I am afraid we are about to have an explosion of free agency hit college football and we have 2-3 teams become the Yankees of college football.
You are correct. The basketball team spends almost as much recruiting 5-10 players as the football team does for 25. It’s really sad they we don’t appreciate football more.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
I just read some of the UK NIL policy.
Booster can do whatever they want except pay for a game performance of use NIL to entice a particular kid. The 6000 dollar per player deal the guy in Miami offered is all good.
At UK, a kid can have an agent approved by UK to go out and work deals for him/her.
No coach involvement allowed.
Wild West time.

Not exactly. No direct nil with a booster is allowed. However they can do nil with a booster's business or related entity as long as UKs aoc seems it a "legitimate" agreement. That's part of the 7 day minimum review process.

Did anyone get $20K today from a booster for their signature?
I doubt it.

But I will bet several (or maybe just in the near future) will get $1,000,000 to sign with a rich school and they will say it was for his signature.

And of course they will say it came from a rich booster, and it probably will.

With the NIL ruling, will booster involvement be rampant? How do you prevent a booster from handing out thousands of dollars for a signature or photo, etc?
Not to worry, the NCAA will be in charge. Maybe they will hire the LSU coach as an advisor, he should be an expert on how to hand out money..

What is so bad about players signing where they can get the most sponsorship dollars? It's not like the playing field was even before this
Pretty simple really, how many rich alumni do you think U of Texas has compared to UK? How about little old Arkansas with some of the billionaire fans they have. that have a business to advertise? Doesn't the U of Oregon have a pretty prominent booster, and doesn't he already give them a lot of money? They started their run to the NC game against Auburn (that some say bought Cam) with a recruiting weekend when they bought (EXCUSE ME, meant brought in) 25 recruits from all over the US (Only got half of them) and spent a fortune on them? Causing several recruiting rules changes by the NCAA. Didn't Texas A&M do a $400,000,000 upgrade to their 100,000 seat stadium while we spent a third of that reducing our capacity by 6,000, now only ahead of Vandy in seating in the SEC? A&M had no problem with the money for athletic facilities when UK had to pay a $60,000,000 bribe to academics for the LOAN (ALL to be repaid by athletics, thank God for the SEC) AND A&M spent a literal fortune to get the coach they wanted.

Level playing field, LMAO, be scared, be very scared, with the NCAA in charge. Like it wasn't bad enough before.

Pretty simple really, how many rich alumni do you think U of Texas has compared to UK? How about little old Arkansas with some of the billionaire fans they have. that have a business to advertise? Doesn't the U of Oregon have a pretty prominent booster, and doesn't he already give them a lot of money? They started their run to the NC game against Auburn (that some say bought Cam) with a recruiting weekend when they bought (EXCUSE ME, meant brought in) 25 recruits from all over the US (Only got half of them) and spent a fortune on them? Causing several recruiting rules changes by the NCAA. Didn't Texas A&M do a $400,000,000 upgrade to their 100,000 seat stadium while we spent a third of that reducing our capacity by 6,000, now only ahead of Vandy in seating in the SEC? A&M had no problem with the money for athletic facilities when UK had to pay a $60,000,000 bribe to academics for the LOAN (ALL to be repaid by athletics, thank God for the SEC) AND A&M spent a literal fortune to get the coach they wanted.

Level playing field, LMAO, be scared, be very scared, with the NCAA in charge. Like it wasn't bad enough before.
I'm afraid its worse than that. In this instance, its the politicians who are in charge instead of the NCAA.

I'm afraid its worse than that. In this instance, its the politicians who are in charge instead of the NCAA.

true, but it’s because NCAA’s stonewalling, inaction, and outright refusal to address the issues is what enabled the politicians to take up this effort. A complete failure of leadership at the NCAA. And they just extended Emmert’s contract - complete cluster phucks

California H.S. students never needed California's permission to profit from NIL, but it's nice that California thinks they needed to give them permission.

Can you give me a state where it's prohibited? If you can't, then it's permitted.

I'm pretty sure GA and FL now right? And TX

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure GA and FL now right? And TX
Okay...so, in 47 states it's legal (because the state hasn't said it's illegal). FL, GA, and TX are going to be sued in the very near future for prohibiting their H.S. kids from doing what H.S. kids in 47 other states are allowed to do.

Remember, NIL is separate from amateurism, and it appears FL, GA, and TX are attempting to:

(1) define amateurism; and

(2) combine it with NIL.

Alston is "utterly irrelevant." ???

tenor.gif

Y
ou have failed the quiz, and must now seek special education services.
Sorry, they are out of money due to teaching illegal aliens how to speak English

Okay...so, in 47 states it's legal (because the state hasn't said it's illegal). FL, GA, and TX are going to be sued in the very near future for prohibiting their H.S. kids from doing what H.S. kids in 47 other states are allowed to do.

Remember, NIL is separate from amateurism, and it appears FL, GA, and TX are attempting to:

(1) define amateurism; and

(2) combine it with NIL.

Meh...We don't yet know if it will be allowed in 47 other states. CA, GA, TX and FL got in on NIL earlier than everyone else.

There are also notable differences between college students and H.S. kids, right? US law recognizes that minors do not have the capacity to contract. NCAA model is also a lot more commercialized than H.S. athletics. I would hold off on that one a bit.

true, but it’s because NCAA’s stonewalling, inaction, and outright refusal to address the issues is what enabled the politicians to take up this effort. A complete failure of leadership at the NCAA. And they just extended Emmert’s contract - complete cluster phucks

First step in keeping your job is to do exactly what your boss(es) want you to do.

Emmert may be obnoxious, but he has no power to do anything at the NCAA. Grant Hill has more decision making authority at the NCAA than Emmert does.

Emmert isn’t there to be a leader, he’s there to:
  • Oversee the NCAA staff in Indy and administration of the championships other than for FBS football
  • Distribute the NCAA tournament money
  • Pay for the legal battles to protect NCAA’s status quo
  • Attract the blame for perceived failures of leadership so that the “NCAA” takes the heat instead of the university presidents and chancellors
In other words, Emmert is paid to distribute money and be a whipping boy. He’s pretty good at that, hence the extension.

Reactions: thornie1
True, and maybe too little too late but the NCAA did allow a lot more money ABOVE the free scholarship and freebies they already got, and I like that approach much more than the free for all we are headed for.

True, and maybe too little too late but the NCAA did allow a lot more money ABOVE the free scholarship and freebies they already got, and I like that approach much more than the free for all we are headed for.

First step in keeping your job is to do exactly what your boss(es) want you to do.

Emmert may be obnoxious, but he has no power to do anything at the NCAA. Grant Hill has more decision making authority at the NCAA than Emmert does.

• Oversee the NCAA staff in Indy and administration of the championships other than for FBS football
  • Attract the blame for perceived failures of leadership so that the “NCAA” takes the heat instead of the university presidents and chancellors
In other words, Emmert is paid to distribute money and be a whipping boy. He’s pretty good at that, hence the extension.
Boondoggle

A novel idea, and maybe a lot of truth to it.

So, a basic right granted to all college students, is now granted to athletes. Decades late, and B$ short.
And how many college students are there now working for the minimum wage that could sign their name and possibly get a million dollars? Those poor athletes, some that have been spoiled all their life.

You basically don't have any control...so it's all good now.

If a business person wants to pay a kid $30k to endorse his car dealership for nothing...they can.
If you want to pay a kid $20 bucks for their autograph.....you can.
If you want to pay a kid $100 bucks to show up at your kids birthday....you can.

I think the issue is how do you get the money guys out along with Stoops/Marrow when trying to recruit. This part will come to play...so how you organize your pitch to these kids will be interesting to see how that works.
Sorry, but those money guys are going to look like pikers, unless he can convince some Texas millionaires to switch teams.

Did anyone get $20K today from a booster for their signature?
Has it really started yet, and has the number one QB recruit asked for $20,000 dollars? Or is he asking for a whole lot more? Maybe you can start a dry cleaning business with a thousand "investors" advertising" at a few thousand each, so they go bankrupt before they clean the first shirt, who cares if they get the player that can make you a title contender. It sounds like the possibilities are endless.

Oh, I forgot, the NCAA will be in charge, no worries.

Has it really started yet, and has the number one QB recruit asked for $20,000 dollars? Or is he asking for a whole lot more? Maybe you can start a dry cleaning business with a thousand "investors" advertising" at a few thousand each, so they go bankrupt before they clean the first shirt, who cares if they get the player that can make you a title contender. It sounds like the possibilities are endless.

Oh, I forgot, the NCAA will be in charge, no worries.

In your dry cleaning example, if that were to occur at a school that prohibits use of NIL as a recruiting inducement (based on either state law or school policy) then those investors run the risk of facing criminal fraud charges.

You are correct. The basketball team spends almost as much recruiting 5-10 players as the football team does for 25. It’s really sad they we don’t appreciate football more.
At UK they spent MORE from 2002 until t e disaster. Even though in 2010 BEFORE the aforementioned disaster FORCED more support for football UK football cleared over $18,000,000 dollars vs basketball clearing something over $5,000,000. And which sport contributes more to the OVER $40,000,000 SEC distribution the SEC hands out every year now? Not even close.

In your dry cleaning example, if that were to occur at a school that prohibits use of NIL as a recruiting inducement (based on either state law or school policy) then those investors run the risk of facing criminal fraud charges.
Then wouldn't that school be at a huge disadvantage in recruiting?

Justice Kavanaugh seems to believe they can overcome said employee hurdle, and I'm inclined to agree with him. Mutually assured destruction is always an option, but not a very bright one. Some might, but not all will.

Kavanaugh is a judge, but that doesn't mean he knows jack about economics or its application. Sports as we have known it is already dying. Unless the NCAA is totally reworked and grounded in some consistency, we're in the last generation of it. Something else may take its place, but free education (though that is worth less and less the way the education system is now) and training for thousands of athletes will be gone.

The only people that will be benefiting from this long term will be the revenue service and politicians.

I'm in favor of NIL to a great extent, but I also think that the athlete making money then needs to pay more of their own expenses and be able to have an agent. Doesn't matter what I think these days though because I'm old

Reactions: jauk11
Utterly irrelevant. Kavanaughs analogy of an employee doesn't suggest SCOTUS is prepared to declare players to be employees. Further, there is no mention, in any regard, to high school players. So, I take it you can't support your position.
Didn't take long to get to the high school level, did it?

It's everywhere!

It's everywhere!
That has zero to do with our conversation. Again, what makes high school players self employed contractors but college players employees. You still can't answer that. Until you can support your ridiculous position, go away.

Last edited:

It's everywhere!
You act as though this is a problem. Any high school kid in this country could make money off of their name except athletes until recently. Why is it an issue that athletes can now? Everyone else has been doing it for years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT