ADVERTISEMENT

Nijel Pack getting paid ...

This has disaster written all over it. He’s a catch and shoot undersized 2. He’s not a point guard. Damn the boy got paid!

Players can hire NIL agents.A
If I'm a decent D-1 basketball player, I am "testing the portal" to see how much I can get.
Yep, that’s how it’s gonna work from now on.

The combination of NIL and the new transfer portal rules have turned the sport into a wild free-for-all of free agents shopping for a bigger better deal every off-season.

The biggest losers in it are the mid majors, as it’s gonna be terribly difficult for them to keep their best players in this new era. Doubt we’ll be seeing those Curry/Morant/Lillard type stories of NBA stars coming out of little schools in the future. The big schools will now be poaching those all guys away after their first season.

Reactions: Fox2monk
But paying all of these players and the portal allowing all of the transfers is like a pro sport with free agency.
In many ways it’s even crazier than pro sports.

Pro athletes have to wait a few years for their contract to expire before they reach free agency, whereas the new transfer portal rules essentially make every college player a free agent every year.

And pro athletes have pay scales and salary cap rules to deal with, whereas NIL payments are essentially an unregulated free-for-all with no limits.

Wait until they pay players to “redshirt”. Nil could be used in many creative ways. They will do this in football a lot. Kid won’t be on scholarship but walk on status. Still paid for but by nIL money.

Reactions: RunninRichie
You can’t use NIL for “pay for play”. NIL is not supposed to be used for recruiting but look how that’s working. The same rules still apply for direct payments. You technically can’t hand over money to a recruit.
Look under “individuals”.
You’re confusing the issues, buddy. I’m well aware that players can’t enter NIL agreements directly with the school, and I’m well aware that “pay to play” cannot be an explicit term of NIL agreements with outside parties (even though we all know that’s gonna happen “implicitly”).

But that’s not the issue that guy raised. He suggested that players should not be allowed to enter a legal NIL deal (ie. without a pay for play requirement) before they’ve officially committed to a university. You claimed there is such a rule. I do not think there is. And your link does nothing to support your position.

You’re confusing the issues, buddy. I’m well aware that players can’t enter NIL agreements directly with the school, and I’m well aware that “pay to play” cannot be an explicit term of NIL agreements with outside parties (even though we all know that’s gonna happen “implicitly”).

But that’s not the issue that guy raised. He suggested that players should not be allowed to enter a legal NIL deal (ie. without a pay for play requirement) before they’ve officially committed to a university. You claimed there is such a rule. I do not think there is. And your link does nothing to support your position.
It says it in black and white. You can’t use NIL to recruit(directly). Read the rules. No different than an alum with a bag of money. That’s what is actually going on. I’m well aware what was asked. It is a rule. You can’t “bid” for services. Of course it’s happening but it’s not supposed to be permitted. You aren’t supposed to offer anything prior to a commitment but with Pack it sure happened.

Last edited:
Arkansas must be doing great in the NIL era. Went from a has been to getting multiple top 5 kids.

Reactions: SosaUK87
I'm excited for him.

He isn't as good as Kellan Grady.
If he is healthy he will be just fine. Better on defense and better on getting his own shot! If Grady had good feet he would have been fine too!

You have real comprehension problems. That guy didn’t say anything about using it “to recruit directly.” Instead, he was merely talking about whether player should be allowed to enter NIL deals in general before they’ve committed.

In short, he wad talking about a black and white rule forbidding NIL negotiation before official commitment, regardless of the expressed purpose. I know of no such rule, and you’ve provided no evidence to the contrary.
Not sure what your problem is. It says it right there. You can’t negotiate an NIL deal before you sign to play for said university. If you do it’s the same as getting paid to play. Now..is that going to stop them from doing it? No. It’s called impermissible inducement. That’s the rule. You can not tell a recruit the offer before he commits. Pack had offers before he committed.

You have real comprehension problems. That guy didn’t say anything about using it “to recruit directly.” Instead, he was merely talking about whether player should be allowed to enter NIL deals in general before they’ve committed.

In short, he wad talking about a black and white rule forbidding NIL negotiation before official commitment, regardless of the expressed purpose. I know of no such rule, and you’ve provided no evidence to the contrary.
Hmm, wouldn’t this be a back breaker. Say, a Duke/UNC recruit signs a NIL deal with a Duke/UNC company and proceeds to pick the opposite team. Lol. I imagine they would have clauses but is that even legal? Since, as you said, it can’t be before commitment.

Also, throwing this out there. I assume commitment means signed right? So I guess I answered my own question? Lol.

Or did? I done confused myself again.

The NIL guy announced his commitment right after the player did. That's pretty easy to prove
the news of a bidding war was out and no secret. Nothing from Purdue, 250k from Ohio state and 400k for Miami. That news broke 2 days ago when the Purdue boards and Twitter said he dropped Purdue. Like I said it’s against the rules. Hard to prove and at this point the Ncaa has no teeth.

Talked to a friend of Purdue coach Matt Painter who confirmed to me that Pack directly asked the university for $250,000 on Tuesday to start the negotiations for his services as Purdue's point guard next season. Painter said no, that's not going to happen.

The kid then got $450,000, as reported various places online, to go elsewhere.

College sports is officially a legal free agency market, in case you wanted final confirmation.

Just imagine what ELITE kids are going to be able to pull in plain sight. What do you think Wall, AD, Zion would have asked for? My word.
UT just paid 8 million for a junior in HS QB. With NIL and transfers college sports are finished

Reactions: RunninRichie
Tshiebwe is actively talked about as getting a multi-million dollar deal. Several of our players are driving Porches around. And the whole team got like $100k each thru some NIL deal. Why would UK back off due to NIL?

My point was, what if the first and only thing Pack wanted to talk about was the $$$. Not playing time, practice facilities, roster, expectations, classes, etc...

If you go on a job interview, and the very first thing you bring up is, "How much you gonna pay me?", the interviewer very likely will NOT hire you. He/she will know that your focus will be payday, not the actual work. So, if one of the coaching staff talked to Pack about possibly coming to UK, and Pack only wanted to talk about the money, then the conversation was likely quite short. That's my guess.

There needs to be a rule that nil cannot be negotiated prior to committing. That would fix this problem.
It’s amazing how many are so naive about economics. Who could stop this is the NBA but they are as greedy as everyone including. The NCAA and the Universities. For 50 plus years they all made money off players.

My point was, what if the first and only thing Pack wanted to talk about was the $$$. Not playing time, practice facilities, roster, expectations, classes, etc...

If you go on a job interview, and the very first thing you bring up is, "How much you gonna pay me?", the interviewer very likely will NOT hire you. He/she will know that your focus will be payday, not the actual work. So, if one of the coaching staff talked to Pack about possibly coming to UK, and Pack only wanted to talk about the money, then the conversation was likely quite short. That's my guess.
I was thinking the same thing. We probably backed off if Pack asked for money first.

Who could stop this is the NBA but they are as greedy as everyone including. The NCAA and the Universities.
Huh? How the hell could the NBA stop this? They have no control over college kids’ right to make NIL money.

Kansas, LSU, North Carolina . They only slapped Memphis on the wrist anyway. Won’t slow them down one bit .
Except it did

The other 3 have not been involved in any NIL related incident to my knowledge. Their’s was Nike and shoe related prior to NIL implementation.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT