ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Mingione

sosoblue

Senior
Aug 18, 2004
Nick you have done an amazing job coaching this baseball team absolutely spectacular. Over 7400 people in attendance at the game WOW! Omaha get those steaks ready because BBN is coming... Great effing job one down and one more to go.

Last edited:
I always said as much as I’m not a fan of Barnhart and even when Ming was struggling, he was the guy that could not just get us here but would stay and not leave. It took a while but he’s finally got his program where he wants it. I’m good friends with a guy that played for him as an assistant in 2006. He’s always saying he was one of the best coaches he ever played for at any level. Calls him the ultimate players coach.

Once Ming got the upgrades and more investment it was always going to take off. And as I said I have no doubts he won’t leave Kentucky. This is his program and will be for a long time.

For someone that doesn't keep up with the baseball team, can someone enlighten me as to what was wrong the last few years? Iirc ming started hot, then had a major slump, and is now hot again.

What caused that major lull that caused many to call for his firing?

Bigblueinsanity, THIS IS MY TAKE:

...SEC is elite. 9 of last 14 National Champs (6 different SEC teams)
...So Recruiting super talent is key to just compete
...Facilities were substandard - hurt recruiting
...Key pitching injuries hurt (since depth of staff was shallow)

One more thing: Complainers mostly don't know diddly about college baseball.

Coach Mingione was not fired because Mitch is an outstanding AD who knew we had a winner.
(Yes...I said it. Mitch is UK's best AD ever).

Coach Mingione is the best we have had at UK. Mitch keeping him was the best decision he has made other than removing the cancer from both basketball teams. I was going to cancel ESPN+ but started watching the bat cats and have watched all but 6 games. This team is so much fun to watch, they keep the opposing team guessing as they put pressure on the opposing team. Go CATS!!!!!!!!

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Coach Mingione is the best we have had at UK. Mitch keeping him was the best decision he has made other than removing the cancer from both basketball teams. I was going to cancel ESPN+ but started watching the bat cats and have watched all but 6 games. This team is so much fun to watch, they keep the opposing team guessing as they put pressure on the opposing team. Go CATS!!!!!!!!

Cal left, mitch didn't do anything other than get lucky cal left. Mitch also gave cal that dumb contract and hired Joker in football and Billy g in basketball.

I'll give him credit for moving on from Joker, g and elzie fairly quickly when it was proven they were atrocious hires. He also conducted a lazy and extremely limited coach to replace cal once drew said no. So he isnt close to perfect.

I will say the smaller sports have done well in his tenure and football is better but probably has maxed out with NIL and expanded difficult sec.

Basketball has 1 title and 4 final fours in 20 plus years under mitch. The 20 before him UK had 2 titles and 5 final fours. The 20 before that UK had 1 title and 3 final fours.

So all in all, ill agree with other posters in saying across the board sports are in as good a shape as ever for his tenure. He isnt perfect but no one is.

I admit I was wrong about mingione I thought he should have been replaced a couple of years ago 7 or 8 years 1 million a year with nothing to show for it he seems to have found his niche and his quirky positive cliches are not even annoying anymore

Nick you have done an amazing job coaching this baseball team absolutely spectacular. Over 7400 people in attendance at the game WOW! Omaha get those steaks ready because BBN is coming... Great effing job one down and one more to go.
With UK being the only school in the SEC to never make The College World Series. UK baseball has been an absolute embarrassment to the BBN. But finally thanks to coach Mingione it's no longer an embarrassment to be a UK baseball fan. UK baseball & women's basketball are on the right track.

Cal left, mitch didn't do anything other than get lucky cal left. Mitch also gave cal that dumb contract and hired Joker in football and Billy g in basketball.

I'll give him credit for moving on from Joker, g and elzie fairly quickly when it was proven they were atrocious hires. He also conducted a lazy and extremely limited coach to replace cal once drew said no. So he isnt close to perfect.

I will say the smaller sports have done well in his tenure and football is better but probably has maxed out with NIL and expanded difficult sec.

Basketball has 1 title and 4 final fours in 20 plus years under mitch. The 20 before him UK had 2 titles and 5 final fours. The 20 before that UK had 1 title and 3 final fours.

So all in all, ill agree with other posters in saying across the board sports are in as good a shape as ever for his tenure. He isnt perfect but no one is.
Yeah there were some bad hires, but that were fairly quickly disposed of, and for the most part seemed line decent hires at the time. Wasn’t a fan of Joker and the CIW thing, but he was an alum and due for a shot at the time. Mitch also hired Rich Brooks and Mark Stoops., he hired Matthew Mitchell and now Kenny Brooks. We won a NC in volleyball under Mitch. His good hires have outweighed the bad. Most AD’s make some bonehead hires at times. I don’t think Mitch deserves half the criticism he gets.

Last edited:
Reactions: delk4three
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT