ADVERTISEMENT

Nice SI article on Kentucky's work in Canada...

He makes a good point about how college teams will make us grind it out. Happens every year. When a college coach has time to prepare a game plan against a team with superior talent, they scheme to take away that advantage. They get back on defense and slow the game down.

This team can run with anyone, but how well this team can play in a rock fight will be the key to the season, IMHO.

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Nice article. Sounds like this writer saw some of the same things we all saw in Canada. There is no doubt, the offense looked really good. Of course, making shots will make any offense look good. Still, the quality of shots the team was getting on this trip was much better than we've been getting in recent years, and that makes a huge difference. I would note, this writer gives new assistant John Welch much credit for revamping the offense- refers to Welch as "a sharp offensive mind whom Calipari has entrusted with making adjustments to their style of play." Maybe there is more to that idea than I thought.

Is this team a title contender? It remains to be seen, in my opinion. I just refuse to get my hopes up that high this early. Here's what I will say: IF the team can get healthy and stay healthy, the pieces are there to be a contender. I love that Reeves came back. I love that Tre Mitchell came over from WVa. It brings stability to the youth on the team. I love this group of freshmen guards- if you include Dillingham, Edwards, Sheppard, and Wagner as guards, it might be the best group of 4 guards UK has had under Cal, which would be quite a grand statement. Reeves and Mitchell will give some cushion to the young bucks to learn on the job, but ultimately how far this team goes will rest heavily on the freshmen class. Final thought: if Bradshaw is half as good as his hype and can contribute at a high level at the 4 and 5 spots, I may have to stop tempering my enthusiasm. I think we will know very early in the season just what the true potential of this group is, but I'm withholding judgment until I see them in some regular season games. I'm MUCH more enthusiastic than I was back in mid-June. The sky seemed to be falling back then, but the outlook has drastically changed since then. Go Cats!

He makes a good point about how college teams will make us grind it out. Happens every year. When a college coach has time to prepare a game plan against a team with superior talent, they scheme to take away that advantage. They get back on defense and slow the game down.

This team can run with anyone, but how well this team can play in a rock fight will be the key to the season, IMHO.
I think our speed will prevent a great deal of rock fights.

Unless teams are planning on putting 5 in the paint, we will break down some defenses.

Only rock fights I see are the SEC road games where we will be hacked to pieces with no damn whistle.

I think our speed will prevent a great deal of rock fights.

Unless teams are planning on putting 5 in the paint, we will break down some defenses.

Only rock fights I see are the SEC road games where we will be hacked to pieces with no damn whistle.
Our defense will need to create opportunities. If our guys can get blocks and steals and create fast break opportunities, we will be fine.

Problem is, SEC level guards aren’t going to turn the ball over. Our guys aren’t going to rattle seasoned veterans very easily.

Experienced teams will slow us down and make us play solid halfcourt defense for 25 seconds before they shoot.

It will be a battle of wills every night as we try to impose our transition game and the other team tries to force us into a halfcourt game.

How well we handle that, will tell the tale.

Just my opinion.

A good start for an entirely new group of players, and a reboot was what is needed.

Early season challenges will dictate Cal's decisions. Can his returnees really help outside of Reeves?

The SEC season will bring us back to reality when the transition game gets stifled.

Our defense will need to create opportunities. If our guys can get blocks and steals and create fast break opportunities, we will be fine.

Problem is, SEC level guards aren’t going to turn the ball over. Our guys aren’t going to rattle seasoned veterans very easily.

Experienced teams will slow us down and make us play solid halfcourt defense for 25 seconds before they shoot.

It will be a battle of wills every night as we try to impose our transition game and the other team tries to force us into a halfcourt game.

How well we handle that, will tell the tale.

Just my opinion.
Experienced teams will slow us a bit, especially early, but DJ and Dilly are quick. Quicker than we've seen in a long time and can finish, especially DJ. I'm not saying we won't struggle, but DJ especially can get by people. That's going to create some drive and kick out options we haven't seen in a while.

I do worry about our D a bit, but that will come. I think Reed can be very disruptive on folks.

What I liked most was the passing. No one played hero ball too much. Even Dilly was unselfish.

True. People talk about how Cal loves the rock fights. Have to wonder how much of that is him knowing some SEC teams will force you into those rock fights, so you better be prepared for them.

Reactions: thedahc
True. People talk about how Cal loves the rock fights. Have to wonder how much of that is him knowing some SEC teams will force you into those rock fights, so you better be prepared for them.
I don’t think Cal likes rock fights. He wants to run and let his athletes make plays in the open floor.

Some people are over critical of Cal.

Some people on here will say he loves rock fights to criticize him and then turn around and make fun of him saying, “GO” and “RUN” saying that’s his only offense.

Which is it, does he want to slow it down and play stall ball or does he only know how to run and gun?

Smart coaches and smart teams aren’t going to let UK run them out of the gym. They are going to slow it down and give themselves a chance.

But some fans don’t understand this and blame Cal for taking the “air out of the ball” so to speak, when it’s really the opponent forcing them to do so.

Reactions: thedahc
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT