ADVERTISEMENT

Next year’s practice wars

DerekMcPwn

Senior
Sep 13, 2016
Louisville, KY
I was thinking about that TJ Beisner practice report from the other day, in which he recalled the legendary scrimmage wars that took place in UK’s practices during the 2012 and 2015 seasons. Those pitched showdowns require not just elite talent, but elite and balanced depth. I’m envisioning some insane scrimmages next season. Even assuming we lose Knox, Diallo, Richards, and Vanderbilt, and making no assumptions about Moses Brown or James Wiseman, the rosters could look like this:

Team 1

Quade Green
Tyler Herro
Keldon Johnson
PJ Washington
Wenyen Gabriel

Team 2

Immanuel Quickley
Jemarl Baker
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Zion Williamson
Sacha Killeya-Jones

That’s two Top 15 rosters, again, still without even the benefit of assuming we have Nick Richards, Jarred Vanderbilt, Moses Brown, or James Wiseman. Barring injuries, our team will have the pieces to go at it next year.

Talking about next year right now is kind of silly. I get it's just discussion but it's a LONG way away from knowing who will or won't be on the team.

I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of money that 2-3 of those guys you listed aren't on the team next year.

Reactions: Steelcurtain66
Talking about next year right now is kind of silly. I get it's just discussion but it's a LONG way away from knowing who will or won't be on the team.

I'd be willing to bet a whole lot of money that 2-3 of those guys you listed aren't on the team next year.

Because basketball forums are never the place to talk about things that might happen.

There's only so much you can say about this season's team right now.

I guess we should start another "when is Vanderbilt going to play?" thread.

Or we could start another Duke thread.

I would rather talk about the future of UK basketball.

Green vs. Quickley would be pretty fun to watch.

Williamson will destroy everyone in college basketball next year. Washington will get a lot better having to guard him all year long in practice.

The 5 spot is the only potential soft spot. Gabriel is not an interior player. But with him at the 5 and Williamson at the 4, that could be a good combo on offense. Williamson can post up like a 5, and Gabriel can play a stretch 4. Still, we would be weak on defense, unless SKJ really improves defensively. Need a shotblocker to protect the rim. I am hoping SKJ continues to make significant strides and can start next season.

I would be tickled with those 10 (plus Wynyard should be back). Williamson is a difference maker. I like our chances to cut down the nets with him in the lineup.

There's only so much you can say about this season's team right now.

I guess we should start another "when is Vanderbilt going to play?" thread.

Or we could start another Duke thread.

I would rather talk about the future of UK basketball.

Or maybe another thread about how Trae Young is better than Steph Curry and Michael Jordan combined, and Cal really missed on that one?

Try to have a healthy, harmless, fun conversation about UK basketball, and one of the first three comments will invariably be Buzz Killington.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
If cal wraps up the class with Zion and wiseman, well, let’s just say i will fly to Durham the week before the champions classic and throw a bag of dukie on splinters front door.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT