ADVERTISEMENT

Next season's schedule

You would play 2 teams twice and everybody else once wouldn’t they, if it’s still 18 games. My guess is the 2 teams Kentucky gets twice as the 2 who will appear to be the best before the season starts like always

It depends if they keep rivals or not. I'd assume we play UT twice every season and maybe Florida or vandy.

I assume it stays at 18. 20 by the acc isn't a bad idea though. They can manipulate the rankings and replacing two cupcakes for conference foes helps sos wise I assume.

Amount of conference games remain the same at 18 - with Texas and Oklahoma added in, we now will play home-and-away games with only 3 teams instead of the current 5. We currently have 3 permanent home-and-away opponents we play every year twice (Tennessee, Florida, Vanderbilt) and the other 2 rotate amongst the other teams annually (Arkansas and Mississippi State this year). I believe they're going to go to a model where you only keep one permanent home-and-away opponent (I'd imagine UT) and the other two will rotate through the league and then you play the other 12 teams once each, 6 home, 6 away, for a total of 18 league games.

I may be wrong about how many permanent opponents we are keeping, maybe we keep all 3 of UT, UF and VU every year as our double opponents, but I'm pretty sure they're switching to just one permanent. I'd imagine they would want the flexibility to sweeten schedules and make for better TV games by getting to switch around the other two home and away opponents (i.e make sure UK plays the two toughest opponents twice every year in addition to UT, we know how this goes!)
If we played every team once, that would be 17 games...only one short. I'd prefer to do that and let the league give an extra ooc game to each team.

Amount of conference games remain the same at 18 - with Texas and Oklahoma added in, we now will play home-and-away games with only 3 teams instead of the current 5. We currently have 3 permanent home-and-away opponents we play every year twice (Tennessee, Florida, Vanderbilt) and the other 2 rotate amongst the other teams annually (Arkansas and Mississippi State this year). I believe they're going to go to a model where you only keep one permanent home-and-away opponent (I'd imagine UT) and the other two will rotate through the league and then you play the other 12 teams once each, 6 home, 6 away, for a total of 18 league games.

I may be wrong about how many permanent opponents we are keeping, maybe we keep all 3 of UT, UF and VU every year as our double opponents, but I'm pretty sure they're switching to just one permanent. I'd imagine they would want the flexibility to sweeten schedules and make for better TV games by getting to switch around the other two home and away opponents (i.e make sure UK plays the two toughest opponents twice every year in addition to UT, we know how this goes!)

Reactions: SemperFiCat
If there are 16 teams now with Texas and Oklahoma added, and the league games remains at 18. You can play 2 teams twice that equals 4 league games. And then the other 14 teams once, 7 home, 7 away. That’s the most basic and easy model to follow

Reactions: Cat_Man_Blue
If we played every team once, that would be 17 games...only one short. I'd prefer to do that and let the league give an extra ooc game to each team.
No, I was saying you play one specific team twice every year as your permanent rival (Tennessee for instance), two other teams twice every year that change annually (for instance Arkansas and Mississippi State this year; Auburn and Georgia next year), and the remaining 12 teams once each. That's 18 games.

If there are 16 teams now with Texas and Oklahoma added, and the league games remains at 18. You can play 2 teams twice that equals 4 league games. And then the other 14 teams once, 7 home, 7 away. That’s the most basic and easy model to follow
We aren't playing ourselves (though sometimes it seems like it lol). There are 15 teams you're scheduling. You play three teams twice (six games), the other 12 teams once for a total of 18.

Reactions: bucsrule8872
Aah hell...I was thinking we were already at 16 and they took us to 18. We need 2 more teams...
We'll be there soon enough, teams are looking for a way out of the ACC legally right now. UNC and UVa would be ideal adds for us, but FSU and Clemson could be the next two if it's a strictly football decision over markets. And maybe it'll be all four of them. And once they're gone, Duke, Miami, Georgia Tech and NC State start looking for a new home and all would have one likely between the SEC and Big Ten. But that's another conversation besides this one

All I know is we will be playing at Auburn.
Pretty sure if we ever have 2 games against Auburn they will will both be @Auburn somehow.

We'll get UT as a permanent and then whichever two look to be the best next two that year as our rival. Then the next few best teams will be @ their place.

Reactions: Rockford
Tennessee will always be home and home. That’s the closest thing to a rival that we have historically in the SEC.

We aren't playing ourselves (though sometimes it seems like it lol). There are 15 teams you're scheduling. You play three teams twice (six games), the other 12 teams once for a total of 18.

That is already how it's done. So they have to incorporate TX and OU into that for 3 rivals i guess.

Well 2. One will be each other.

That is already how it's done. So they have to incorporate TX and OU into that for 3 rivals i guess.

Well 2. One will be each other.
No, we have 5 home and away opponents now, not 3. Three permanent (UT, UF, VU) and two that rotate (Ark and MSU this year). Starting next year it goes from 5 to 3 home and away opponents to add in Texas and Oklahoma. I broke it down in a post earlier on this thread.

Reactions: SemperFiCat
Are they planning to have the three home and home as permanent rivals or will they rotate?

I figure we will always play UT home and home, as they are our main conference rival.

Figured it would be UF and Vandy if the other two were permanent. That is just speculation.

Are they planning to have the three home and home as permanent rivals or will they rotate?

I figure we will always play UT home and home, as they are our main conference rival.

Figured it would be UF and Vandy if the other two were permanent. That is just speculation.
Okay so I just double-checked and got it confirmed: the new format with Texas and Oklahoma will be TWO permanent home and away opponents, and one rotating home and and away opponent, and then the other 12 teams once.

I would suspect Tennessee is certainly one of our two permanent rival opponents, and the second would likely be one of Florida or Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt if they want the more traditional, long-time rival, or Florida if they want the game that will typically be a "sexier" matchup. The third home and away opponent will rotate every year amongst the different teams.

As for the SEC Tournament - all 16 teams will take part. The double-bye format will be the same as it is now, with the top 4 teams getting a double-bye, and next 4 teams getting a single bye, but now it will be four games on opening day Wednesday instead of two. It'll be 9 seed vs 16, 12 seed vs 13, 10 seed vs 15, and 11 seed vs 14. Then those four winners take on the 8 seed, 5 seed, 7 seed and 6 seed respectively in the second round Thursday. Then the top four teams still have the double-bye and play their first game on Friday against the four second round winners.

Hope this helps clear it up!

Okay so I just double-checked and got it confirmed: the new format with Texas and Oklahoma will be TWO permanent home and away opponents, and one rotating home and and away opponent, and then the other 12 teams once.

I would suspect Tennessee is certainly one of our two permanent rival opponents, and the second would likely be one of Florida or Vanderbilt. Vanderbilt if they want the more traditional, long-time rival, or Florida if they want the game that will typically be a "sexier" matchup. The third home and away opponent will rotate every year amongst the different teams.

As for the SEC Tournament - all 16 teams will take part. The double-bye format will be the same as it is now, with the top 4 teams getting a double-bye, and next 4 teams getting a single bye, but now it will be four games on opening day Wednesday instead of two. It'll be 9 seed vs 16, 12 seed vs 13, 10 seed vs 15, and 11 seed vs 14. Then those four winners take on the 8 seed, 5 seed, 7 seed and 6 seed respectively in the second round Thursday. Then the top four teams still have the double-bye and play their first game on Friday against the four second round winners.

Thanks!

I don’t like the format. It would be much easier to throw out the byes and let everyone play in the opening round. Play four games Wednesday (1 vs. 16, 8 vs. 9, 4 vs. 13, 5 vs. 12) and four Thursday (2 vs. 15, 7 vs. 10, 3 vs. 14, 6 vs. 11). Then four quarterfinal games Friday, two semifinals on Saturday, and the championship on Sunday. That’s how most 16 team tourneys usually run.

That is 17 games. UK is one of the other 14. Three twice.

Sec has to rig it so UK gets the toughest pre season team n the league for our home and away rando wach season. Never change sec.

Thanks for the info, appreciate the insight.

Reactions: GG24
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT