ADVERTISEMENT

Next Day Coach's Thread

Feb 25, 2009
Not being emotionally tied to the game makes these more enjoyable.
First question I have:

1. Why was Kirby Smart playing a cover 2 on second down and 100 in the OT?

Give them them the 5 yard hitch if Bama wants to throw it, but don't put your 1/2 safety in bind. Bama had to be salivating when they saw the alignment of the Safety. He has to defend two vertical routes while the CB plays the flat. (in this instance, he was covering grass) Play quarters and the CB runs with the #1 vertical, and the safety has the #2 vertical and the OLB plays the flat and you don't have a 1/2 safety trying to get over the top of a streaking #1 vertical.

That is the million dollar question, HOW do you let somebody behind you in that situation. You just set then back 15 yards and the next play you let a man get behind you, unbelievable. You don't deserve to win doing that, even a 20 yard gain wouldn't have been a first down. One or two more plays of minimal gains of would have made then have to kick a field goal. That looked like something Kentucky would do, heartbreaking loss for Georgia on the most unlikely play to end a game in overtime.

Did Georgia have a time out?

That’s when I would have called it - after the sack. Re-focus my team and talk about what Alabama would try to do.

They certainly weren’t playing for a FG at that point.

Hindsight = 20/20

That is the issue. The CB was in cover 2 so it is designed to release the receiver to the safety. A kid with an arm is going to hit that hole shot before safety can get there. Bama could not have called that play with Hurts because he can’t make the hole shot.

Know your enemy Kirby

Last edited:
Not being emotionally tied to the game makes these more enjoyable.
First question I have:

1. Why was Kirby Smart playing a cover 2 on second down and 100 in the OT?

Give them them the 5 yard hitch if Bama wants to throw it, but don't put your 1/2 safety in bind. Bama had to be salivating when they saw the alignment of the Safety. He has to defend two vertical routes while the CB plays the flat. (in this instance, he was covering grass) Play quarters and the CB runs with the #1 vertical, and the safety has the #2 vertical and the OLB plays the flat and you don't have a 1/2 safety trying to get over the top of a streaking #1 vertical.
This type question from you and others is why I continue to read the board... I was almost of the thought that I knew what a cover 2 is/was???... I thought a cover2 was supposed to prevent the deep ball?

Reactions: ekywildcat
Cover 2 is a coverage where the cb will play the flat, the safety will have the deep 1/2 and the LB/NB to the side has hook to curl.

Most teams will now play a 2 read so that if both receivers go vertical as they did on this snap, the coverage converts to quarters. In quarters the CB and the S split their half of the field, and the LB has the flat/curl. With quarters the CB would not release the route and would keep it in front and run with it when his cushion was broken.

Reactions: fabcat and robo222
Georgia's defense was geared to play Jalen Hurts with POSSIBLY a few scatterings of Tua. I doubt ANYONE thought the kid would be named the new lead horse for the championship game. The Dogs just weren't as prepared for him. Gamble Saban that won.
Georgia on the other hand was dominating when Michel was carrying the load. The decision was made to hit the pass as the game kept getting closer and not ride the backs as heavy.
Gamble Smart that didn't pan out.
Lots of folks bring up how second string QBs often torch UK....that's due to the defensive staff not knowing or not preparing for them. Same happened to the Dogs.

Cover 2 just denotes that there are two deep safeties. There are actually a couple if ways to play it.
Cover 2 zone underneath is what Georgia played on that play. The two safeties play halves and everyone else plays a shallow zone. It is a heavy run support type of d.
Cover 2 man under is another way to play it The shallow defenders lock up on their man and the safeties clean up any messes.
I didn't like either of them in that situation (100yds to go) I think whoever mentioned 4 across or quarters coverage had the best idea. But I'm not making a million dollars a year to coach football so who am I to judge?

Wasn't Tua marginally pressured on that last play? I gotta believe that Georgia 2 deep defense was meant for Hurts. No idea why they were defending Tua in the same manner. Smart said after the game that they thought Saban would make the QB change at halftime and had seen enough footage of Tua to know how to defend him. Apparently, that wasn't the case!

Another thing that really stood out to me was Tua's much quicker release than Hurts. Plus, he doesn't get rattled on check downs if his primary receiver is open. I know Saban doesn't like mistakes and this was only one game but, how can Hurts' job not be in jeopardy?

Last edited:
Reactions: hunterpapa
Gotta give Saban/OC credit for going for the bomb in that situation. Nearly every other team in America would have tried to figure ways to get back into FG position to send it to a second OT. Took an enormous amount of balls to call that play. If they miss it, it's 3rd and 26, out of FG range and they HAVE to pick up at least 10 yards to have even a reasonable chance of a second OT. Instead, because they're Bama, they hit the homerun for the NC.

Gotta give Saban/OC credit for going for the bomb in that situation. Nearly every other team in America would have tried to figure ways to get back into FG position to send it to a second OT. Took an enormous amount of balls to call that play. If they miss it, it's 3rd and 26, out of FG range and they HAVE to pick up at least 10 yards to have even a reasonable chance of a second OT. Instead, because they're Bama, they hit the homerun for the NC.
Yep, that was a pass play the whole time. No simply running it up the middle to get as close as possible to salvage a FG attempt. That was the true definition of aggressive play-calling. I'm sure that strategy fails some but, forcing your will upon the opponent is always preferable in my book.

I have never been a big fan of straight Cover 2, especially in "must throw deep" situations. The reason being the read/decision requirements on the CB and the Safety. A tiny bit of "confusion" between the two and last night is what you get.

In straight Cover 2 the CB's normal zone is an extreme outside short zone and "as required" up the sidelines. IOW, the CB has the short hitch or whatever to the extreme outside first. If there is no wide short threat he takes the outside WR up the field. If there is a short extreme outside threat he takes that first and the safety has responsibility to recognize that and take the deep sideline route if there is one.

This play was not unlike the famous here "Stevie got loose" play against the Cards a few years back. FWIW, I am a big believer in 2 Man (2 deep, man under) in "they must pass deep" situations.

Peace

That play was Smart saying"I don't think Tau can make the throw to beat us". He got fooled.

He also thought his pressure up front could keep Tau from making the difficult pass. He got fooled.

Tau is a remarkable talent. Smart should have played a prevent(maybe a Dime package 3 deep zone) and kept them from getting the 1st down. Heck, Bama's kicker had just shown that his butt was tight. I'm not sure that Saban wouldn't have went for it on 4th down if UGA had held them for 2 more downs.

Reactions: jauk11
Did Georgia have a time out?

That’s when I would have called it - after the sack. Re-focus my team and talk about what Alabama would try to do.

They certainly weren’t playing for a FG at that point.

Hindsight = 20/20

I believe you are right. The team was hyped after the 16 yard sack, jumping around and celebrating. Alabama lined up an hit them quick. A timeout would have prevented that.

Reactions: railroadkat_1
For those of you well versed in secondary play.....did UGa #14 (Parrish) have as bad a night as it looked? Several big plays involving him, most all of which hurt the Bulldogs. And if Hurts had been more accurate to Ridley in the first half, could have been worse.....

Great point. I wonder if they knew their kicker stunk and they felt the FG wasnt really an option. Dont know if theyd call out the K that publicly. And maybe it was in the back of their mind?

Reactions: UKUGA
Anyone see the Alabama player go off the deep end last night and shove the coach? I think he returned later to make a tackle on a kick off or punt.We aren't the only team with problem children.

I think they did it for 2 reasons:

1) the FG kicker had already missed 2, including the chippie that allowed OT
2) they thought they could catch UGA sleeping after the sack and celebration

UGA had a ton of success with this sit/flat/curl combo.
. The danger player is the B gap linebacker. At the snap the QB will eye him inside. If he does not move he throws the spot. If he moves, eyes to the curl space which is being pryed open with the flat route.

Georgia's defense was geared to play Jalen Hurts with POSSIBLY a few scatterings of Tua. I doubt ANYONE thought the kid would be named the new lead horse for the championship game. The Dogs just weren't as prepared for him. Gamble Saban that won.
Georgia on the other hand was dominating when Michel was carrying the load. The decision was made to hit the pass as the game kept getting closer and not ride the backs as heavy.
Gamble Smart that didn't pan out.
Lots of folks bring up how second string QBs often torch UK....that's due to the defensive staff not knowing or not preparing for them. Same happened to the Dogs.

What are you guys talking about, you are making it sound like coaches besides ours make mistakes, even when they reach the NC game level. One of our trolls is liable to get you banned on here.

Amazing.

Reactions: The-Hack
That play was Smart saying"I don't think Tau can make the throw to beat us". He got fooled.

He also thought his pressure up front could keep Tau from making the difficult pass. He got fooled.

Tau is a remarkable talent. Smart should have played a prevent(maybe a Dime package 3 deep zone) and kept them from getting the 1st down. Heck, Bama's kicker had just shown that his butt was tight. I'm not sure that Saban wouldn't have went for it on 4th down if UGA had held them for 2 more downs.

I think you might be right, the play may have been less about Saban's brilliance and more about lack of confidence in his kicker.

The game didn't go our way, but the irony of it is, if we hadn't dominated the first half defensively like we did, Tau may not have played and in the OT the sack forced Bama's hand to make a big play because they had no confidence in their kicker. They picked on that corner all night, every big passing play was against him, but was the best we had besides the other starting CB. It was a tough loss, getting there isn't easy, unlike Bama we nor anyone else has a free ride into the playoffs and has to win the SEC to get there. So no telling when our next opportunity will come unless Bama wants another bye week to heal up and doesn't win the west.

It was a tough loss, getting there isn't easy, unlike Bama we nor anyone else has a free ride into the playoffs and has to win the SEC to get there. So no telling when our next opportunity will come unless Bama wants another bye week to heal up and doesn't win the west.

If UGA had defeated Auburn in the regular season, then UGA would have played Alabama in the SEC title game.

If they had lost that game to Alabama, then both UGA and Alabama would have been in the play-off, assuming a relatively close game, such as the one we saw Monday night.

Both would have been 12-1, but Alabama would have been the SEC champion.

Reactions: The-Hack
On 3rd and 3 up 20-13 in mid 4th UGA went to the set it scored on to end H1. It gets the Bama LB to chase the H expecting the Wildcat to fake and then follow the H. 94 on the DL holds his gap and makes stop. If the wildcat gets through, it is 6

I would say after seeing the kicker miss the game winning chip shot in regulation that the OC was thinking touchdown or lose. The kicker had to be the happiest guy on the planet when he didn't have to trot back out there.

Reactions: UKUGA
I have not got to the second half yet, but I will be anxious to see what Bama did to control the right side of the UGA front.

ADVERTISEMENT