ADVERTISEMENT

New Stadium Update

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but why the area for tarp storage if it's an all turf field?

I really don't have an answer. The mound will not be turf. So, maybe the tarp will be for the mound only.

They might still cover the field in order to make sure it doesn't pool up. Also, the mound and sometimes the batters box are dirt so you'd at least have to cover those.

And maybe it gives them the option to go back to grass in the future.

I wish there were some bleacher seating in the outfield corners. Part of the thrill of a ball game is for a youngster to get a chance to get a homerun ball.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
Noticed that study was done in December of 2012. I have zero knowledge of construction projects of this size, but would that be the plan in place or would another rendering be done? I'm assuming if a new rendering was done it wouldn't defer much in regards to the capacity/size of the stadium due to the figures gathered being based around a stadium of that character or size.

I would be overjoyed just to get a new stadium, but I think 4,500 would be a little on the small side for the long term growth and support for the program. I feel that a minimum of 6,000 seats would be needed, as I believe support will grow tremendously once the baseball stadium is more accessible and modernized for the fans.

As mentioned above, it doesn't necessarily have to be chair back seats (would be nice), but expanding down a baseline and creating some out field bleacher seating would be a great addition to that rendering. Keep the berm seating on one baseline as well and maybe even do an outfield berm. Also, a party deck type area in the outfield has always been popular with the younger crowd at CHS and would be another addition worth considering.

For UK, building any kind of new stadium in that location is a great start, but I feel baseball is just as much a sleeping giant as football in this state and with a little shine and showmanship from a marketing side it could become very popular.

the proposed location in that 2012 presentation doesn't make much sense considering the location of the new football facilities.

I think that 4500 isn't a bad number for a regular basis. A lot of the early games are going to be too cold to attract a huge crowd. Later in the year you could probably get more, but I think 4,500 seats is actually pretty good.

However, they need to plan ahead. This is a new stadium and they need to build it with the ability and intention of expanding and improving it. We only hurt ourselves if we box ourselves in. I don't know how expandable this stadium will be, but I have to imagine at the very least that they will be able to extend the grandstands out further down the baselines if necessary.

I just heard on KSR that funds for the new baseball stadium were not approved in the new state budget. UK got $21 million for renovation of Wildcat Coal Lodge but nothing for the baseball stadium. So, now it seems that's up in the air.

I just heard on KSR that funds for the new baseball stadium were not approved in the new state budget. UK got $21 million for renovation of Wildcat Coal Lodge but nothing for the baseball stadium. So, now it seems that's up in the air.
:flush:

Reactions: cats1068
Speaking frankly, I like Mitch Barnhart. I think that he has done more for the entire Kentucky athletics program than any other athletic director. However, my respect for him is slipping because he continues to keep Henderson as head coach of our baseball team and because he's been unable to procure the funds necessary to get the ball rolling on building a new baseball stadium. 10 or so years ago he was talking about some landmark deal with IMG (IIRC) to build all these amazing facilities, including a new baseball stadium. That fell through and he was left holding the bag. Three years ago we were as far as getting renderings and even heard that a portion of the football renovation procurement was going to be used to build a new baseball stadium. Today we're hearing that once again we're left holding the bag as the state has not approved the building of a new baseball stadium. What we as fans hoped would be finished by 2019 will likely now be even longer.

Barnhart needs to get his shit together and do everything he can to raise the funds to help to build this stadium. We cannot rely on state funding. If we can get some donors to actually start the process and earmark some money for a new stadium then we might actually help to convince the state budget committee that it is needed, wanted, and worth the investment. Barnhart also needs to understand that Henderson has pretty much reached his peak in terms of success. While it is better than what we have had in the past it is most definitely not the best that our program can do. If Louisville can consistently be a top 5 team that makes the Super Regionals and CWS then we can do similar. Watching them compete and become a respected baseball program while our team struggles to make the SEC and NCAA tournament is depressing and inexcusable. Time to better our program as a whole. I'm tired of waiting.

Speaking frankly, I like Mitch Barnhart. I think that he has done more for the entire Kentucky athletics program than any other athletic director. However, my respect for him is slipping because he continues to keep Henderson as head coach of our baseball team and because he's been unable to procure the funds necessary to get the ball rolling on building a new baseball stadium. 10 or so years ago he was talking about some landmark deal with IMG (IIRC) to build all these amazing facilities, including a new baseball stadium. That fell through and he was left holding the bag. Three years ago we were as far as getting renderings and even heard that a portion of the football renovation procurement was going to be used to build a new baseball stadium. Today we're hearing that once again we're left holding the bag as the state has not approved the building of a new baseball stadium. What we as fans hoped would be finished by 2019 will likely now be even longer.

Barnhart needs to get his shit together and do everything he can to raise the funds to help to build this stadium. We cannot rely on state funding. If we can get some donors to actually start the process and earmark some money for a new stadium then we might actually help to convince the state budget committee that it is needed, wanted, and worth the investment. Barnhart also needs to understand that Henderson has pretty much reached his peak in terms of success. While it is better than what we have had in the past it is most definitely not the best that our program can do. If Louisville can consistently be a top 5 team that makes the Super Regionals and CWS then we can do similar. Watching them compete and become a respected baseball program while our team struggles to make the SEC and NCAA tournament is depressing and inexcusable. Time to better our program as a whole. I'm tired of waiting.

Agreed. If we are going to rely solely or heavily on state funding for this project then Barnhart, or anyone closely associated with UK athletics might as well stop even bringing it up. Just not gonna get it done.

I have a hard time believing that with all the money being generated through the SEC in the past couple of years that the university can't find the funds to do this themselves. Just continues to be a slap in the face when every other program on campus has been lavished with new or updated facilities, and baseball just keeps getting boxed in with these sparkling new digs.

New T&F facility, New Softball Stadium, New Soccer Stadium, Memorial gets something updated every year, Football upgrades never before seen, and yet baseball continues to get zip. All of these listed upgrades were needed, but it needs to be baseballs turn.

Not just for the athletes, but for the fans that support the baseball program. A new stadium and better location could bring not only more support, but more consistent support from those that may not attend as often as they would if a new stadium were built convenienty and better marketing efforts were applied.

Like football in the past, most in the conference have already or are in the process of making the investment while we're going to idly sit back and watch others improve while we play moneyball.

UK: $4.2 million - Last Renovation 2002
D76BF4C43910DC2015C32EBD.jpg

Alabama: $42.6 million Renovation - 2015-2016
B9317707155Z.1_20150612221436_000_GLNB2KF6H.1-0.jpg

LSU: $37.8 million - 2009
50-06101-00_marquee-05.jpg

South Carolina: $35+ million - 2009
carolina-stadium-1.jpg

Ole Miss: $18 million - 2008
NJL_1389-AN.jpg

Arkansas: $30+ million in construction costs and regular renovations averaging every 3 years, last reno 2007
Baum-Stadium-2013-05731-e1416338171472.jpg

The list goes on...

i dunno, seems odd that they'd pass a budget for tons of athletics projects and just slap a "no" on the baseball stadium, especially after the recent swirling of news/concepts concerning the matter.

here's what's now being reported:
"One UK Athletics project that was not included in the governor's budget proposal was the long-rumored new baseball stadium. Blanton confirmed any proposed project that cost more than $15 million and was to be cash funded, including the baseball stadium, was excluded from the budget.

"As for other projects included or not included in the initial proposed list, the budget process has just started," Blanton said. "We will be working with the governor and legislators to make our case, and tell our story, for the importance of investment in UK at all levels."

my guess is the price tag/size of the project means there are some additional steps that need to be taken as they start the process. everything i've heard about the stadium indicates that it's a top priority now that football has been taken care of, which is why i was surprised if they flat-out rejected a stadium proposal.

i dunno, seems odd that they'd pass a budget for tons of athletics projects and just slap a "no" on the baseball stadium, especially after the recent swirling of news/concepts concerning the matter.

here's what's now being reported:
"One UK Athletics project that was not included in the governor's budget proposal was the long-rumored new baseball stadium. Blanton confirmed any proposed project that cost more than $15 million and was to be cash funded, including the baseball stadium, was excluded from the budget.

"As for other projects included or not included in the initial proposed list, the budget process has just started," Blanton said. "We will be working with the governor and legislators to make our case, and tell our story, for the importance of investment in UK at all levels."

my guess is the price tag/size of the project means there are some additional steps that need to be taken as they start the process. everything i've heard about the stadium indicates that it's a top priority now that football has been taken care of, which is why i was surprised if they flat-out rejected a stadium proposal.

I'm by no means a huge K-Fund donor so I don't have any insider info for that matter, but it seems odd to me as well. Unless private funding is being gathered that majority of folks don't know about then I just don't see it happening anytime soon. And that is unfortunate.

I just feel it's not too much to ask to at this point get a solid tangible project together and get it rolling. I mean how many proposals, hear says, and renderings have been out over the past 10 years? Yet nothing materialized.

Football needed what its getting, and it needed it bad. No problems or issues with that. Just get a solid proposal together for baseball, make it public, make an effort, and go after the funds. The program deserves better than it has with the kind of money being made in today's time. TV is catching up quick at the college level as well. I'd say there's just as much national college baseball coverage today as there was national college basketball coverage 5-7 years ago. It's getting great attention and reception.

Surely with SEC money and JMI a baseball stadium can be built. It's long over due. I can't understand how other schools can build a new stadium but UK can't.

Is it going to come down to playing our home games in Whitaker Bank ballpark, where the Lexington Legends play ? The Cliff is simply not suitable for a Power 5 college baseball stadium. At least WBB with a 6500 seat capacity, would be a huge upgrade, and BTW we have played games there before.

Is it going to come down to playing our home games in Whitaker Bank ballpark, where the Lexington Legends play ? The Cliff is simply not suitable for a Power 5 college baseball stadium. At least WBB with a 6500 seat capacity, would be a huge upgrade, and BTW we have played games there before.
So once again the administration and boosters are going to sit back and watch Otis expand and do another renovation to their stadium...oh yes ,and they are ranked SECOND in the country and primed to make ANOTHER CWS...PITIFUL AND THOSE IN AUTHORITY AND THE ONES WHO HAVE THE RESOURCES TO CHANGE THIS SHOULD BE ASHAMED

Reactions: CloverforkCat
Remember the budget is a step process. Gov proposes, house receives makes changes, senate receives makes changes, then house votes senate changes down, senate then refuses to go along, they both appoint conference committee who then writes a budget, then they both approve that version to go to gov for his approval.

In other words call your reps let them know you are in favor of a new stadium. Then call UK let them know you think this should be on their legislative priority list, it hasn't been a UK priority.

I received an email from the K fund office today. I have been in the K fund since 2002. The email stated a new stadium is in the works and in the design phase and details will be released at a later date

I received an email from the K fund office today. I have been in the K fund since 2002. The email stated a new stadium is in the works and in the design phase and details will be released at a later date

Design phase?! Then what the heck are those artist renderings from 2012 if they weren't a design?! Is the design phase like the friend zone or the Hotel California? You can never leave...

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

Reactions: CloverforkCat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT