ADVERTISEMENT

New Stadium Update

I am excited about this, but also annoyed. The website below has been up for quite some time and we're just now asking the board to give us money to design the damn thing? As slow as stuff works around UK I am pretty sure it is going to take forever. Also, if they plan to spend 4 million on just design then how much might the stadium cost to build and are they going to actually have to get permission once again to get funds for that? If so then it is definitely going to take forever.

http://www.kfundonline.com/new-baseball-stadium/

What do you guys think about the proposed location? This it will end up being something bland or will it add a unique environment for baseball and athletics in general? Personally, I really love baseball stadiums that are kind of hidden and tucked away. Memphis Redbirds stadium is an example. Downtown Memphis and suddenly its a beautiful green baseball field among the tall buildings. Also Montgomery Biscuits... disguised as an old train station until you walk in... and then bam! Baseball! We might not be able to do that with UK, but to just have a stadium out in the open or by other athletic facilities just doesn't do it for my overly active imagination.

YES !.....A new 4500 seat stadium on Alumni Drive, near CWS, Softball, and Soccer stadiums. Described as being part of an ' Athletic Village ' This is what we have needed for a while, this can do nothing but help in recruiting .

I am excited about this, but also annoyed. The website below has been up for quite some time and we're just now asking the board to give us money to design the damn thing? As slow as stuff works around UK I am pretty sure it is going to take forever. Also, if they plan to spend 4 million on just design then how much might the stadium cost to build and are they going to actually have to get permission once again to get funds for that? If so then it is definitely going to take forever.

http://www.kfundonline.com/new-baseball-stadium/

What do you guys think about the proposed location? This it will end up being something bland or will it add a unique environment for baseball and athletics in general? Personally, I really love baseball stadiums that are kind of hidden and tucked away. Memphis Redbirds stadium is an example. Downtown Memphis and suddenly its a beautiful green baseball field among the tall buildings. Also Montgomery Biscuits... disguised as an old train station until you walk in... and then bam! Baseball! We might not be able to do that with UK, but to just have a stadium out in the open or by other athletic facilities just doesn't do it for my overly active imagination.
I swear some people are never happy unless they have something to complain about.

I swear some people are never happy unless they have something to complain about.

Actually I agree with comeback on this one. The stadium has been in the "planning" stage since 2006 when Cohen was here. I also agree that the location could be a great atmosphere or just a clustered mess. I also think that a place like UK needs something to stand out. What that is, I'm not sure. I like the overall looks of the proposed design. Let's just get the damn thing built.

People have been demanding a new stadium for years. They finally announce it today. Now instead of celebrating the announcement I've seen multiple people complain about the proposed location. Just a pet peeve of mine. Nothing personal.

I'm excited about the stadium. As a season ticket holder since 2008, this is welcome news. I just hope that with the location, it doesn't get lost in the shuffle sorta speak. I didn't take anything personal, I just want the best for the baseball program and hope this is a step in the right direction.

Folks, I really think this project is on a "fast track" to completion. I've been saying for over a month now that the road project currently going on for Alumni Dr was "phase 1" of the baseball stadium project. The re routing of the service road was needed to open up the land that this stadium will sit on. So eventhough the article said they were asking for design money I think it's well beyond that point right now.

With the approval, it sounds like me that it's ready to go. So, I think it wouldn't have gotten this far if they didn't have something in place for funding. To me, it's not about location but something new and updated for the baseball program. Good riddance to CHS!

It wouldn't surprise me if next season is the last at Cliff Hagan. A 4,500 seat stadium could be completed in less than a year.

Reactions: cats1068
Folks, I really think this project is on a "fast track" to completion. I've been saying for over a month now that the road project currently going on for Alumni Dr was "phase 1" of the baseball stadium project. The re routing of the service road was needed to open up the land that this stadium will sit on. So eventhough the article said they were asking for design money I think it's well beyond that point right now.

You may be right on the land was needed on Alumni but if I recall, the rerouting was needed due to Commonwealth. I may be wrong. I think the design is pretty much completed. I swear I remember reading with the new media rights deal that UK signed with JMI last year included a stream of money for the new baseball stadium.

I am not upset about anything. I just want things done right, and in the best possible way. If we are going to build a new stadium I want them to do a great job with it and not just build one to build one. I want it to stand out and be something that everyone around the country who actually care about college baseball takes notice of. I think location and how you play up the exterior of a stadium has a big effect on things. Turner field is one of the more boring stadiums in the country because it is just so bland. Busch Stadium under the arch is one of the most beautiful because of that location. I;m just ready to have a new stadium and one that we can all be extremely impressed with.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
You may be right on the land was needed on Alumni but if I recall, the rerouting was needed due to Commonwealth. I may be wrong. I think the design is pretty much completed. I swear I remember reading with the new media rights deal that UK signed with JMI last year included a stream of money for the new baseball stadium.
Great news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smiley::sunglasses:

After seeing both the new soccer and softball stadiums, plus the renovations to Commonwealth, I have no doubt that this new stadium will be awesome.

Reactions: cats1068
Don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but after going through construction of new stadium at my son's college, expect a looonngg process. The designs changed about 3 different times, then the actual bids/funding have to come in and actual construction or breaking ground is likely 18 months away. And due to the weather in these parts of the country, you can count on delays during the winter months due to conditions. Weather delayed our stadium at least 6 months and the locker rooms/coaches offices and indoor facilities are STILL not finished. Just the stadium/field. I'll be surprised if this stadium is finished in 3 years but who knows. Assuming no other administrative delays or funding delays like Comebak mentions and that have already taken place.

Lastly, I know everyone prefers real grass but in this part of the country again, will be very tough and also could delay opening of field while sod takes and becomes firm enough to play on. Turf is the quickest and easiest way to both play and practice on the field year round. Looks at most programs in this part of the country and they all have turf fields....Cincinnati, Ohio State, Louisville, West Virginia just build a new stadium with turf, etc, etc. Not saying it can't be grass but will delay opening of new stadium. Plus many more costs for field maintenance and up-keep than with turf. JMO.

4 million in design fees approved by the trustees, that extrapolates into an approximate 40 million for the new stadium. The fee range for that sort of project is around 10%. Should be able to get a pretty nice stadium for that kind of coin.

Big Blue 1018, this....

Don't want to burst anyone's bubble, but after going through construction of new stadium at my son's college, expect a looonngg process. The designs changed about 3 different times, then the actual bids/funding have to come in and actual construction or breaking ground is likely 18 months away. And due to the weather in these parts of the country, you can count on delays during the winter months due to conditions. Weather delayed our stadium at least 6 months and the locker rooms/coaches offices and indoor facilities are STILL not finished. Just the stadium/field. I'll be surprised if this stadium is finished in 3 years but who knows. Assuming no other administrative delays or funding delays like Comebak mentions and that have already taken place.

Reactions: Big_Blue_1018
That's pretty depressing that it is going to take us 3 years to get this done. I don't know if they are trying to do something bigger with this, but I feel that a stadium could easily be built in an off season if it were actually made a priority. Hopefully this rumor isn't true and we can get into the stadium by 2017.

Reactions: CloverforkCat
That's pretty depressing that it is going to take us 3 years to get this done. I don't know if they are trying to do something bigger with this, but I feel that a stadium could easily be built in an off season if it were actually made a priority. Hopefully this rumor isn't true and we can get into the stadium by 2017.

See, that's what I'm thinking. Doubledd, I appreciate the view from your perspective. I have to think though, if UK wants this done then it could be done in a year or so. Just look at what Alabama did. They basically tore their complete stadium down and started over. And it didn't take three years. Maybe Henderson is hoping that he will still be here in three years!

If you go to the bid page on UK website, not the athletic page, it shows that completion is slated for January of 2018

Its kinda interesting that the chairback seating has been lowered from 3000 to 2500. But Im excited about the design! Lets get it done!

I didn't read a lot of detail into that. Did it say how many people it was going to seat?

According to the proposal, the seating would be as follows:

General Chair Back: 2420
Accessible Seating: 19
Companion Seating: 19
Berm Capacity: 1850
Berm Accessible: 15
Berm Companion: 15
Outdoor Club Seats: 164
Accessible Club Seats: 4
Companion Club Seats: 4
Suite Seats: 62
Athletics Suite: 22
Coaches Seating: 44

Total Capacity would be 4562

According to the proposal, the seating would be as follows:

General Chair Back: 2420
Accessible Seating: 19
Companion Seating: 19
Berm Capacity: 1850
Berm Accessible: 15
Berm Companion: 15
Outdoor Club Seats: 164
Accessible Club Seats: 4
Companion Club Seats: 4
Suite Seats: 62
Athletics Suite: 22
Coaches Seating: 44

Total Capacity would be 4562

I think that would put us around 8th in the SEC in stadium capacity. Not too bad.

I still hate, with a passion, the idea of putting in an all turf field. I'm a baseball purist and think it needs to be played on grass and think that turf surfaces look terrible. Plus, baseball fields shouldn't give "true hops" all the time. There needs to be some bad hops and some weird plays. Looks like I'll lose this battle, but I don't think I'll ever be a fan of it.

Two parts to it. As for the seating capacity, I'm not sure UK could ever draw the crowds that LSU or Texas A&M pulls. I do like the fact that if an expansion was warranted, than there is adequate space for it to happen.

As for the turf, I've played on both surfaces. With the weather that Kentucky has in the first part of the season, turf is a necessity. I do prefer to play on grass and dirt. It's more of a true playing field sorta speak.

Ehh, we play almost all of the first month on the road and we don't miss out on many games in the early months regardless of the weather. It might help some but we've had excellent fields over the years. I can understand the argument for it, but I still hate it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT