ADVERTISEMENT

New Sources Say video

Sounds like we're going to see a lot more of the lineup that closed it out against Arkansas. That would be Sheppard/Wagner/Reeves/Tre/Ugonna. That works for me! Play more 3 guard lineups. Don't even care which 3 guards are in.
This should be truth, but I also wouldn't mind seeing a flash back to small ball with the team we had before Bradshaw returned. Only in good matchup situations, of course, but I'd like to see a little of that thrown in.

This should be truth, but I also wouldn't mind seeing a flash back to small ball with the team we had before Bradshaw returned. Only in good matchup situations, of course, but I'd like to see a little of that thrown in.
Agreed.

It would be smart to run the small lineup again from time to time, just to give our opponents something else to have to prepare for.

Sheppard/Wagner/Reeves/Tre/Ugonna is my go win the damn game lineup also. Wagner has his place but the court spacing shrinks tighter to the lane with him at the point. With Sheppard at PG, we space way broader and he sees it all and is thinking 2-3 passes ahead. With Ugonna, he protects the rim over a wider radius than Bradshaw and Z as they are playing now and on offense, he does not need to be fed in the post. He can occupy the Dykes "dunker's spot" for lobs and putbacks and his improvement in that simple role will be quick and constant.

It seems that several are leaving Dillingham (our highest projected draft pick) and Adou out of the mix.
What about them?
It MAY be difficult to play Reeves and Dillingham at the same because they are both such high-volume shooters. I wonder how many minutes they have been on the court together this season ??

Dillingham is our best isolation offensive player by a large margin…..Dillingham is our worst defender by a large margin. He can’t mentally figure out ball switches for whatever reason , and can’t keep any drivers in front of him so he crushes your defense. So he has to be utilized carefully and in the correct context. We need an offensive spark run him out there ASAP. We are protecting a lead down the stretch he needs to be benched.

The Sheppard/Wagner/Reeves/Tre/Ugonna lineup that pushed all the right buttons to close out the Arkansas victory should be the combination on the floor when the game is on the line and every possession is critical. Dillingham and Thiero are very important also and the majority of their minutes should come in the middle of the game to build a lead or to keep it close when the opponent is on a run. Frankly, Dillingham can get a bit out of control, take bad shots and turn the ball over and we need discipline at crunch time in a close game. If we need points in a hurry, then Dillingham all the way.

Without Dillingham contributing offensively in a major way this team goes nowhere in NCAA tourney
I'm fine with Dillingham getting 25 minutes a game and Wagner 25. The extra 10 minutes for Wagner would be when he spells Reed at the point and Reeves at the Shooting Guard..

It seems that several are leaving Dillingham (our highest projected draft pick) and Adou out of the mix.
What about them?
A lineup like mentioned above or one subbed as Dilly for DJ, Z for Ugo. Also you could sub Dilly for DJ, Adou for Ugo, and then move Mitchell to Center and that would be a fine end of the game lineup. We can be versatile in who we play.

I also like a really small ball lineup of

Dilly
DJ
Sheppard
Reeves
Mitchell

That could be a nasty 5 out death lineup.

Dillingham is our worst defender, unless he's cooking he doesn't need to be in, in late game situations. Adou/Tre/Ugonna at the 4 and 5 would be my trio there
I love Dillingham and he's still very much needed and a big part of the team and still going to get major minutes. Just wish he would stop gambling so much on defense as it sets the entire defense up for failure when he leaves his man to go hunt a steal (that usually doesn't happen/foul gets called).

What about them?

I'm sure they will play a lot too. And Bradshaw and edwards will play some. I feel bad for Z as I don't think he should he out of it.

Even if he isn't the guy from UGA he has the capabilities to hit shots.

Reactions: Fox2monk and ck-2
I've come to the conclusion that Reed and Dilly are more productive players than Wagner. I'd invert DJ (28 mpg) and Dilly's (22 mpg) minutes. Dilly is more productive than Wagner in every offensive category (ex turnovers). His defense is no better/worse than DJ's from what I've seen.

I'm also flabbergasted that Z is getting so little run....folks, that UGA game was no fluke. This guy is a first round NBA draft pick and Ugonna isn't. His hands, handle, and shooting skills are miles beyond Ugonna, and fits better with what we're trying to do offensively. The five I'd give most of the minutes to are:
Reed
Dilly
Z
Reeves
Mitchell
Those five guys can all score and shoot the three. A nightmare defensive matchup for any team in America.

I've come to the conclusion that Reed and Dilly are more productive players than Wagner. I'd invert DJ (28 mpg) and Dilly's (22 mpg) minutes. Dilly is more productive than Wagner in every offensive category (ex turnovers). His defense is no better/worse than DJ's from what I've seen.

I'm also flabbergasted that Z is getting so little run....folks, that UGA game was no fluke. This guy is a first round NBA draft pick and Ugonna isn't. His hands, handle, and shooting skills are miles beyond Ugonna, and fits better with what we're trying to do offensively. The five I'd give most of the minutes to are:
Reed
Dilly
Z
Reeves
Mitchell
Those five guys can all score and shoot the three. A nightmare defensive matchup for any team in America.
Agree 100%. Dillingham just needs to play a little more under control and be aware of the situation. He has a higher ceiling to help this team in March. If Wagner had a right hand he would be better.

Dillingham is our best isolation offensive player by a large margin…..Dillingham is our worst defender by a large margin. He can’t mentally figure out ball switches for whatever reason , and can’t keep any drivers in front of him so he crushes your defense. So he has to be utilized carefully and in the correct context. We need an offensive spark run him out there ASAP. We are protecting a lead down the stretch he needs to be benched.
Well said.

Reed
Dilly
Z
Reeves
Mitchell
We just haven’t seen enough of Z to say he deserves more minutes than Ugo. I just can’t make that assumption right now. I think the outing at Rupp against Georgia was somewhat of a fluke. Not saying he is bad, but Ugo has proven he can catch some lobs and block some shots. Just don’t see Z playing significant minutes this year. He joined the team too late. Thanks NCAA!!!

Just rotate the four guards at the 1-3 spots. 30 minutes or so a piece.

1G Sheppard(30)/Wagner(10)
2G Dillingham(30)/Wagner(10)
3G Reeves(30)/Wagner(10)

The main thing is to keep Reeves at the 3 spot to create more minutes for the other three guards.

What about them?
We have 7 guys to rotate in with Dillingham and Thiero coming off the bench. If Ivisic can get going, then we have an 8th man to use as well. But the top 7 need to be the guys on the floor in some combination at all times.

It MAY be difficult to play Reeves and Dillingham at the same because they are both such high-volume shooters. I wonder how many minutes they have been on the court together this season ??
Dilly is a fine PG and he has as many or more assists as DJ.

Sounds like we're going to see a lot more of the lineup that closed it out against Arkansas. That would be Sheppard/Wagner/Reeves/Tre/Ugonna. That works for me! Play more 3 guard lineups. Don't even care which 3 guards are in.
Can't help but think Dillingham being out made a difference and if he had played that game might not have been as close as it was. Dilly has to be on the floor at some point too. if you want to interchange him with Wagner, that's fine too.

Reactions: mcwildcats04
Can't help but think Dillingham being out made a difference and if he had played that game might not have been as close as it was. Dilly has to be on the floor at some point too. if you want to interchange him with Wagner, that's fine too.
Oh, absolutely! I don't disagree with that at all. I love all four of our guards. We have the best 4 guards in the country. Let's use this to our advantage and play 3-guard lineups as much as we can. Really hope we see this in the next game.

I just can’t make that assumption right now. I think the outing at Rupp against Georgia was somewhat of a fluke.
Definitely agree. If it wasn’t he’d be the best player in the country, and chances are highly probable he’s not that. Just playing the percentages tells me I need to see a lot more from him to prove he needs more time than Ugo. Ugo has actually been playing extremely well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT