ADVERTISEMENT

New Baseball Stadium?

sluggercatfan

All-American
Aug 17, 2004
When(IF!!!) do you think UK baseball will have a new baseball stadium?...I think next season is going to be another year where this team does not make the playoffs so fan apathy will be bad and probably most of the news will be the coach, but I also think that to attract a new dynamic coach one is going to HAVE to be under construction and not just "talked" about...What say you?

It needs to be built honestly by the 2016 season. They keep pushing back the starting time for construction. The sketch of the stadium can be seen on the UKathletics web site.

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:
It needs to be built honestly by the 2016 season. They keep pushing back the starting time for construction. The sketch of the stadium can be seen on the UKathletics web site.
Hell by the time the UK administration and $$$$ters get around to building the thing it will be outdated...Just look what IU and EPU have done and I can almost guarantee you that if EPU makes the CWS that Jurich will have that stadium expanded again...

Two things get the stadium done. 1) UK's need for the current stadium site for Dorms/ parking structure. 2) As already stated a new high powered coach. Base on history anyone who wants the stadium done had better hope the student enrollment jumps up because Henderson isn't going anywhere as long as Mitch is AD and as long as there's any time left on his contract. UK will not spend a penny to buy out his contract ahead of time.

Originally posted by blue12:
Two things get the stadium done. 1) UK's need for the current stadium site for Dorms/ parking structure. 2) As already stated a new high powered coach. Base on history anyone who wants the stadium done had better hope the student enrollment jumps up because Henderson isn't going anywhere as long as Mitch is AD and as long as there's any time left on his contract. UK will not spend a penny to buy out his contract ahead of time.
Snooze you lose...Early bird get the worm...Have to spend money to make money...

Originally posted by baseballguy1588:
all the money is going to CAL.
I don't blame this on Cal...It's the $$$$sters I have a problem with...If EPU (eastern parkway university) can do all they do then why can't a school with probably at least 3 times the fan base do it?

Originally posted by sluggercatfan:

I don't blame this on Cal...It's the $$$$sters I have a problem with...If EPU (eastern parkway university) can do all they do then why can't a school with probably at least 3 times the fan base do it?
Because 3X the fans does not necessarily mean 3X the revenue. When TCU, a private school of about 8,000, affiliated with, but not governed by the Disciples of Christ was invited to the BIG XII-II, they decided they needed a $105M facelift to their stadium. That money was put up by 13 donors in a matter of months. They later increased the scope of the project to about $164M, all funded by private money, i.e., no bonds no debt.

I read the tab on the proposed new baseball stadium is ~$32M. That is about the same as the Craft Center which was years behind "schedule" in the fund raising timetable.

Peace

Originally posted by WildCard:

Because 3X the fans does not necessarily mean 3X the revenue. When TCU, a private school of about 8,000, affiliated with, but not governed by the Disciples of Christ was invited to the BIG XII-II, they decided they needed a $105M facelift to their stadium. That money was put up by 13 donors in a matter of months. They later increased the scope of the project to about $164M, all funded by private money, i.e., no bonds no debt.

I read the tab on the proposed new baseball stadium is ~$32M. That is about the same as the Craft Center which was years behind "schedule" in the fund raising timetable.

Peace
WC...You are making my point...People on this board think that UK could build an on campus basketball facility and have the money at the drop of a hit...KENTUCKY has one of the largest fan bases in the country , but most of them are of very modest incomes and the ones who do have the money mostly only want(or care) about basketball being successful and they have very below average cooperate base to be able to draw from...

Originally posted by Gabewcat:
IF YOU BUILD IT, THEY WILL COME.

James Earl Jones (Field of Dreams)
THIS......both the fans, and the players !
$$$$$$$$$$$$...Somebody has to care
frown.r191677.gif
...Who is it?

frown.r191677.gif
...Who is it?
When we build it can we make sure we don't put our players or ex-players faces on the outfield fence like they did at Louisville? That shit looks corny as hell. I just hope they build it like a minor league stadium and throw in some unique architecture and some relatively unique dimensions to make it stand out. Don't turn it into Turner Field north.

I still think we should start a campaign for a new coach and a new baseball stadium. We can just flood Barnhart's e-mail box with pictures of stadiums and then pictures of candidates for new coaches. It might not work, but it would definitely amuse me.

Re Henderson, I've now twice seen comments from Barnhart labeling this past baseball season as "a great season", once on Twitter and once on KSR. So I wouldn't hold my breath on there being a change made anytime soon. Now, that being said, with Barnhart's stated goal of winning championships and his early focus on baseballl, and with UofL's program making four Supers and three CWS's, you have to think he's frustrated over their inability to get over the hump. One one hand, UK has had a couple of the best seasons in program history since 2012. However, The late season slides, inability to get it done when it matters most, and the talent/depth gap between UK's pitching staff and other peer programs, are legitimate reasons for concern. They could slide way back next season, so I think this conversation could heat up next year.

Re the stadium, it sounds like its just behind the new football training facility on the priority list. So once that football project is funded, baseball will be next in line. It sucks that our athletics department was so far behind in facilities given past administrations singular focus on roundball, not to mention how difficult it is to get things funded with how ridiculously political things are with UK. The athletics department got held hostage to fund the new science building to get the bond issue approved for Commonwealth Stadium (which will put UK at a competitive disadvantage moving forward since no other SEC schools will do that. But UK needs to get thebes stadium done. Making a super or the CWS could help build excitement and help expedite that, yet UK squandered another opportunity when it couldn't make it out of the Louisville regional.

I don't think Henderson is going anywhere either, but I'd at least like to get something going to express our dislike of the guy. I wouldn't even be surprised if former players and their families expressed their dislike for Henderson.

In terms of the stadium... am I just crazy or didn't we get some money for a new stadium when we did the football renovation deal? I thought a part of the money was going to baseball? I seem to remember the football board complaining that they didn't get the entire amount...?

^ pretty sure the angst among the football fan base related to the funneling off of ahletics department revenues to service the debt for the new academic sciences building on Rose Street (whereas other universities will generally allow their athletics departments to reinvest that money - can't recall exactly what portion the athletics dept is paying, but I seem to recall it being more than the speculated price tag for a nice new baseball stadium - I suppose we can thank Frankfort for that).. Also, the thought before that announcement was that the Nutter training Center would get a big upgrade with those dollars, and it disappeared when the announcement was made (at the time, fans didn realize how far along they were in funding the relocated football training facility privately).

This post was edited on 6/9 10:13 AM by DubyaT

Ironic also that just last month I believe, the SEC distributed 21 million dollars to each of the 14 member schools, from the BCS and NCAA tournament monies that were earned. Also the SEC network debuts on August 14th, even more revenue for the conference. This alone would help with UK's facilities, not counting what they earn from Football and Basketball home games.

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:

frown.r191677.gif
...Who is it?
When we build it can we make sure we don't put our players or ex-players faces on the outfield fence like they did at Louisville? That shit looks corny as hell. I just hope they build it like a minor league stadium and throw in some unique architecture and some relatively unique dimensions to make it stand out. Don't turn it into Turner Field north.

I still think we should start a campaign for a new coach and a new baseball stadium. We can just flood Barnhart's e-mail box with pictures of stadiums and then pictures of candidates for new coaches. It might not work, but it would definitely amuse me.
I am sorry, but I keep going back to this...I am not one of MB biggest fans , but this is NOT on him...As the old proverb says: "he that has the gold makes the rules"...This is out of MB's hands...

frown.r191677.gif
...Who is it?

I am sorry, but I keep going back to this...I am not one of MB biggest fans , but this is NOT on him...As the old proverb says: "he that has the gold makes the rules"...This is out of MB's hands...
I don't mind Mitch. I like that he at least at one point attempted to improve baseball. I think he's attempted to improve all sports and that is what I want. So, in that regard I like him. However, in terms of marketing and advertising I think he is lacking. I think he needs to be pimping the new baseball stadium every chance he gets. Constantly talking about upgrades to this and that and get people excited and wanting to donate their money to see these things built. There are a ton of ways that athletic directors have gotten funding, and I just don't know that Mitch is too creative in his pursuit of that. I know he needs the money to get the job done, but I think he could do more things to get the money. The IMG deal was good and creative, but after that fell through he seems to be mostly sitting on his hands or doing smaller stuff.

frown.r191677.gif
...Who is it?

I don't mind Mitch. I like that he at least at one point attempted to improve baseball. I think he's attempted to improve all sports and that is what I want. So, in that regard I like him. However, in terms of marketing and advertising I think he is lacking. I think he needs to be pimping the new baseball stadium every chance he gets. Constantly talking about upgrades to this and that and get people excited and wanting to donate their money to see these things built. There are a ton of ways that athletic directors have gotten funding, and I just don't know that Mitch is too creative in his pursuit of that. I know he needs the money to get the job done, but I think he could do more things to get the money. The IMG deal was good and creative, but after that fell through he seems to be mostly sitting on his hands or doing smaller stuff.
How do we know that he has not done some of these things in the past?...Just follow the money trail that he has to take vs. that of the one that Jurich gets to travel...Where are UK BOOSTERS like the ones that built Jim Patterson Stadium, Papa John's, Trager Family, and especially the corporate sponsorship that backs UL's athletic facility expansion...TJ gets these things done with BOOSTER support so that the coaches he hires are on a level playing field...MB does not have that luxury...With that being said , maybe you are correct and MB doesn't have the ability to relate to the right folks...I don't know , but it is very frustrating that a revolt had to take place in the football fan base before the $$$$$$$ folks would wake up and do something... You just don't see that at EPU...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT