ADVERTISEMENT

Netflix ending Password sharing

jerry-seinfeld-shame.gif

.. and they should just aim for a by-device model, similar to how Evernote does it. You get x amount of devices to use. You can switch devices, but only a few times a month, before it locks you in. So you can technically switch devices to your vacation house, but you can't do this repetively.

You pay different tier levels for how many simultaneous devices you want.

This would stop password sharing as it is now device dependent. And you wouldn't be able to just throw your account around either. Yet it would still lend users the flexibility to use Netflix on the fly.

do you consider it greedy to make people pay for their own service? I understand having kids in college or going on vacation, but if three families are sharing a $12 a month payment, that is not Netflix being greedy, that is those people being cheap.

That's what a per-device setup would do. If you want 6 dedicated devices at one time (3 families), then it will cost more. If you're a family who just wants to move their Netflix account around, it will still be $15/month and you can change devices a couple times a month, like if they go in vacation or get a new tablet.

As for greed, when those executives aren't making millions on millions then I won't feel bad about stealing every piece of TV, movie, and music. People aren't gonna get raked over the coals again by paying the same price as cable for 8 different services.. or at least I'm not.

Reactions: RunninRichie
That's what a per-device setup would do. If you want 6 dedicated devices at one time (3 families), then it will cost more. If you're a family who just wants to move their Netflix account around, it will still be $15/month and you can change devices a couple times a month, like if they go in vacation or get a new tablet.

As for greed, when those executives aren't making millions on millions then I won't feel bad about stealing every piece of TV, movie, and music. People aren't gonna get raked over the coals again by paying the same price as cable for 8 different services.. or at least I'm not.
So do you evaluate executive compensation of all companies who offer goods and services you purchase to determine if you are going to steal them? Or just cable?

So do you evaluate executive compensation of all companies who offer goods and services you purchase to determine if you are going to steal them? Or just cable?

I would take anything for free if I can get away with it, with little risk, zero affect on society, and further, even less care from the companies controlling it (ISPs, Netflix, etc). If a gas station attendant was like "Here, you can fill up for free, boss isn't here".. yeah, I'm taking free gas.

Torrenting is a low risk system so long as you use a VPN.

I am about to the point of cancelling Netflix anyway. They keep jacking up the price and 1/2 of the shows were filmed in a foreign country and then English speaking actor voices dubbed over the actors. I hate any movie where the lips are out of sync. My OCD kicks in when I watch something like that. 🤣

If your neighbor has six cars and you don't have one, should you take one of his because he is rich and you are not?

Netflix has an estimated 100 million users who aren't paying for their service. They are using a friend or family member's subscription for free. Netflix is right to end the free riders. They have a new discounted tier with ads or if you want multiple users, you can still have that if you pay more. Charging the freeloaders should easily outweigh any cancellations based on their experience doing the same in South America.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Netflix has millions of users who aren't paying for their service. They are using a friend or family member's subscription for free. Netflix is right to end the free riders. They have a new discounted tier with ads or you want multiple users, you can still have that if you pay more. Charging the freeloaders should easily outweigh any cancellations.
Oh no the company that has made close to a billion dollars in profit are getting scammed!

Oh no the company that has made close to a billion dollars in profit are getting scammed!
Netflix isn't under any obligation to let 100 million people steal from them just because they are profitable. They are in business to make money. They are offering more subscription choices at different price points except free is no longer an option.

Last edited:
My daughter heard that Netflix had so many people saying they would cancel they decided to not end the password sharing. Has anyone else heard that?

Reactions: hmt5000
Boo. Hbo and hulu laughing their ass off.

We have been blocked from using streaming services on our own devices when we take them with us on trips. Even when we had VPNs and could log in from the same servers, we weren't able to watch "streaming" services we paid for from another location.

What's.the.frickin.point?!

So we canceled them.

Net flix is mostly foreign content anyway. Subtitles and or bad dubs. We canceled several over politics, content, or streaming issues in the last 10 years. NFL network, Netflix, hbomax, sling, espn, etc that we had paid for because we liked some of their content at one time.

They all figured out that they could move their most watched content into another subscription level or app and so we dropped them. We'll be dropping more in the next 2 months. I'll continue converting all of our fav movies and recorded media to digital media this summer so we can take it with us. Leave the services behind altogether.

Reactions: blubo
Netflix has an estimated 100 million users who aren't paying for their service. They are using a friend or family member's subscription for free. Netflix is right to end the free riders. They have a new discounted tier with ads or if you want multiple users, you can still have that if you pay more. Charging the freeloaders should easily outweigh any cancellations based on their experience doing the same in South America.
You sure you're number are right on that.
100 million? That's a 1/3 of the U.S.!

And here the rest of us are behind bars for downloading the new Ant Man for free.

• Haha
Because of the new policy and, mainly, due to less and less content that we find watchable, we dropped Netflix just recently. In the past 12 months, we've watched the final season of Better Call Saul and Wednesday. That's literally about the only times we've watched it. We were paying for 4 simultaneous devices and both our kids and my mother would watch it some. I wasn't stealing anything. But the content has become so much less worth the money, we decided to drop it. Doubt we'll miss it one bit.

I get it for free with my phone service so doesn't matter to me. If I had to pay for it I don't know if I would with the content on there. Every single show I get into they cancel it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT