ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA, schools come to an agreement to settle House lawsuit

Had to be . The labors of the student athletes were (are ) producing too much revenue to not share in it . Main question now is how to finance non revenue sports . I always thought it was unfair the big beefy football players 65 % of whom are minorities were earning the dough , getting bad backs and knees and brain injuries for life and the schools were taking revenue they produced and acting like hero’s giving it to the rifle team, tennis team , swim team etc.

I believe he who produced the revenue should keep it . Awful easy to be a feel good hero spending someone else’s money . The non revenue sports should be supported by taxpayers dollars and with what little revenue they produce as well as a share of what the “ Owners “ take is . Not from the players share .

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet is this is basically the end of scholarship athletics in non p5 schools at least as far as the NCAA is concerned. They will have no choice but to split off and form their own league that's basically non revenue. They can't afford to stay in this. They were already mostly running at a loss or breaking even.

Also I think the p5 missed a huge opportunity. They could've easily left the NCAA to form their own league and cut out the NCAA altogether. That's exactly what happened anyway, except the NCAA will continue to get paid for doing essentially nothing. My guess is the acc and big east were the big problems. They probably wouldn't leave because they couldn't afford it.

Reactions: KYExtemper
One thing I didn't see mentioned yet is this is basically the end of scholarship athletics in non p5 schools at least as far as the NCAA is concerned. They will have no choice but to split off and form their own league that's basically non revenue. They can't afford to stay in this. They were already mostly running at a loss or breaking even.

Also I think the p5 missed a huge opportunity. They could've easily left the NCAA to form their own league and cut out the NCAA altogether. That's exactly what happened anyway, except the NCAA will continue to get paid for doing essentially nothing. My guess is the acc and big east were the big problems. They probably wouldn't leave because they couldn't afford it.

This is going to up the cost of an every day Joe taking his family to a game, ticket prices will go up, concessions will go up, while not allowing outside food and drink and student fees are certain to go up, was activity fees back when i was a college student not sure what they are called today.

But looks like we are just heading to a bidding war, no kind of draft, i guess that is ok if you have a mega rich booster that likes to throw money out the window. But reality is, this means schools like Texas, ATM, Oregon and apparently OSU will rule college football. If you hire a kid who isn't worthy of elite money but shows out in college, they will just offer more than you can and hire him away. Someone somewhere has to establish some kind of regulations.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
This is going to up the cost of an every day Joe taking his family to a game, ticket prices will go up, concessions will go up, while not allowing outside food and drink and student fees are certain to go up, was activity fees back when i was a college student not sure what they are called today.

But looks like we are just heading to a bidding war, no kind of draft, i guess that is ok if you have a mega rich booster that likes to throw money out the window. But reality is, this means schools like Texas, ATM, Oregon and apparently OSU will rule college football. If you hire a kid who isn't worthy of elite money but shows out in college, they will just offer more than you can and hire him away. Someone somewhere has to establish some kind of regulations.

They really mishandled all this litigation. I don't think anyone disputes their authority to exact reasonable limitations on participation. The easy ones are grades and years of eligibility. They should've focused their argument on which limitations are "reasonable".

Is it reasonable to say a student athlete can't earn money in the same as a regular student? Of course not. Is it reasonable to say someone can't be paid to attend a school? Yes, but their incompetence prevented them from seeing the path to the "reasonable" argument. So they just lost altogether then caved on everything else for self preservation.

Is it reasonable to say someone can't be paid to attend a school?

In a free society, any person can be paid any amount to do anything other than acts violative of criminal statutes.

I doubt Courts would now agree that it is unreasonable that players can be essentially “bid upon” for their services.

It governs the rest of society . . . .

That's exactly what happened anyway, except the NCAA will continue to get paid for doing essentially nothing.

The NCAA never made money from football, 98% of its revenue dependent on the Men’s basketball tourney and associated streams of revenue (ie, owning/copyrighting terms like “March Madness.)

In a free society, any person can be paid any amount to do anything other than acts violative of criminal statutes.

I doubt Courts would now agree that it is unreasonable that players can be essentially “bid upon” for their services.

It governs the rest of society . . . .

I agree which is why I can't believe they just caved immediately rather than making that argument.

They will now have to take a position to encourage a players union. Many controls could be obtained and enforced through collective bargaining.

Reactions: The-Hack
Jay bilas tweeted he thinks this settlement was so the NCAA could seek congressional help. I'm not sure this settlement had anything to do with that, because they could've gotten that help anyway. Plus depending on who you believe, drafts of those rules were already being kicked around.

Jmo but I think it's pretty clear the NCAA did this put of self preservation. They bound the schools to this over the objection of many. They did it to preempt/co-opt any p5 (sec) attempt to withdraw and form something new.

Short of federal legislation don't see how anything can be done. Courts went overboard in neutering the NCAA. Sure some change was needed but they still have every right to enact reasonable limitations on participation.

For years, scholarship restrictions, recruiting limitations, headset only allowed if the other team has them, etc, etc all went to ensure an even as possible playing field for smaller programs of the NCAA. They have none of those protections but are not made very vulnerable with payments, title 9, etc.

Something must be done to restore sanity and stop this overcorrection that led to the wild west.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT