ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Proposed Student Payment Plan

Hjack

All-American
May 22, 2002
Murray
Recently heard that there is a proposal from the NCAA to allow Universities to directly pay student athletes via a trust fund. Don't know if this is going to have anything to do with NIL, but it apparently is from the President of NCAA and is now before the board. I anticipate the smaller schools are going to struggle getting the better players.

This may be old news, but just heard it on news.

Recently heard that there is a proposal from the NCAA to allow Universities to directly pay student athletes via a trust fund. Don't know if this is going to have anything to do with NIL, but it apparently is from the President of NCAA and is now before the board. I anticipate the smaller schools are going to struggle getting the better players.

This may be old news, but just heard it on news.
Seriously, you have a link?

Reactions: Hjack
This is, I believe, a tacit admission by the NCAA and the universities that things are not going to go their way with respect to House v. NCAA and the proposed California bill that would require schools to share revenue with student athletes. I think the NCAA finally sees the writing on the wall.

For anyone who’s interested, below are the major legal issues that the SEC leadership are monitoring closely (image is a little dated).

SEC-timeline-of-college-athletics-June-2023-1536x851.png

I view this possibility as very important to the UK’s and Bamas, and Mississippi’s of the world.

In this new era of NIL, relatively poor states might find themselves fading away from the lack of NIL money compared to large urban centers that decide to take college football seriously.

Consider Houston, Texas. It is what, like the 4th, 5th or 6th largest metro in the US??

Houston, alone, may have more wealth that could be spent on college sports than entire states in the Southeast.

But there is one long-sustained and rapidly growing pool of money that Universities in states like ours have that the University of Houston does not . . . the largess of membership in the SEC and Big Ten.

We’ve spent 25 years gold-plating our athletic facilities. We’d better find a way to leverage the hundreds of millions coming our way the next 20 years into funding our athletes.

The guesstimates I have seen of a coming annual 90 million conference division of TV and Bowl revenue exceeds our entire athletic budget from early in Barnhart’s career. If these numbers come to fruition, we will have averaged somewhere between 15 and 20 percent growth among revenue at our SEC schools for 20 years, an unbelievable shift of wealth.

Reactions: Hjack
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT