ADVERTISEMENT

nbadraft.net has DROPPED Skal completely off the 2016 draft board

I am not sure what is going on here....I think Cal said this in September....I picked that up from a post game quote a few weeks ago. He does not seem to be basketball smart, he seems unmotivated, he is so weak, I mean everytime he touches the ball if anyone is around and bumps him or touches the ball he drops it. I am not sure that in four years he would be a player. Shagari Alleyene or Woo or Bobby Perry were all ahead of him at this time...and the kid who wore the goggles when BCG was here....He won't get off the bench next year..I know he has struggles but how could a kid be rated so highly and just not show up. If he had been rated about number 30-50 I could understand but everyone had him at number 1-2....just goes to show you what the recruiting gurus know...
You're exaggerating. At no point was Alleyne, woo, perry or thomas ahead of Skal, definitely not as freshmen. He's about where John Henson was as a freshman.

Reactions: Poetax and uky8unc5
Skal is a bust in a relation to his ranking. No one is saying he will never be good, just he isn't meeting expectations.
I hate the word "bust". Sounds so final, which is premature since he's just a kid.

They dropped him because there is a chance (very slim IMO) he doesn't leave.

For those of you calling him a bust...please just stop. It 1) makes you look ignorant and more importantly 2) makes you look like a horrendous fan.

1) I'm not ignorant
2) I'm not a horrendous fan

As far as Skal's performance thus far he has been a bust. If you want to defend him I'll admit that he appears to have all of the tools needed to become a really good player at some point..... and since I'm not ignorant or a horrendous fan I flat out hope he starts playing up to his potential just as you do...... but he has been a bust so far.

Not that surprising. Skal is easily the biggest bust, at least to date, of the Cal era. I don't think any of this team looks to have much of an NBA future except Murray and possibly Ulis. Lee and Poythress will probably get a shot as 2nd round picks. Perhaps Briscoe if his shooting improves more. The good news is there's another great class on the way, and I can't imagine they will work out anything like this bunch has.

Can't say he's the biggest bust yet with the possibilty of 20 games or more left. I don't expect s miracle but to think he can't improve at all with practices and games left is a little narrow minded.

As others said, that is more due to it looking more like he may not be in this draft.

And for those mentioning other players and not Kris Dunn. You really need to watch him. He's a clone of John Wall.

Slight differences. Wall is faster rim to rim. Dunn is bigger, and as such, a better rebounder. Dunn is also a better shooter at the same stage. Probably similar on D, but Dunn gets more steals because he gambles more (like a big Juan Dixon). Both had high bball IQ's.

But just the way they move on the court. The way they play and do things is so so similar. It's like watching the others twin.

I think Dunn is the best player in cbb at this moment. I think he's a can't miss star in the pros, a la Wall. He is without a doubt a top 5 pick at worst. I would take him #2 (behind Simmons because Simmons is younger with more room to improve).

I am not sure what is going on here....I think Cal said this in September....I picked that up from a post game quote a few weeks ago. He does not seem to be basketball smart, he seems unmotivated, he is so weak, I mean everytime he touches the ball if anyone is around and bumps him or touches the ball he drops it. I am not sure that in four years he would be a player. Shagari Alleyene or Woo or Bobby Perry were all ahead of him at this time...and the kid who wore the goggles when BCG was here....He won't get off the bench next year..I know he has struggles but how could a kid be rated so highly and just not show up. If he had been rated about number 30-50 I could understand but everyone had him at number 1-2....just goes to show you what the recruiting gurus know...
You lost all credibility when you said Shagari & Orbzut were ahead of him.

Skal is a bad combination of too thin and too nice...

he is just getting man handled...and he isn't skilled enough offensively or enough of a shot blocking threat to make up for it...

His only hope now may be to switch to a 3 and become a finesse face the basket type of player...he needs to develop a mid range game and even improve his three point shooting...

I don't think he has great shot at a career in a traditional 4 or 5 role...

Skal is obviously still adjusting, but very few players could have the Offensive half that he had early in the year.... Murray could but not many others... The talent is there and he will adjust!!

Sk
Skal (I believe) will return. And playing (next year) with Bam will free him to be who he is and stop trying to be who he never can be.

Skal just looks like: a) someone who needs a bigger post presence near him to be effective and b) someone who we would have been ELATED about before the '1 and done era'

Not everyone is on a schedule to be NBA ready after 1 season of college ball -- we've been spoiled under Coach Cal in terms of talent / expectations ….. which is saying a lot since both of those metrics have always been high

I like Skal -- I just think he's a 3-4 year player who needs a big, mean wide body in the paint with him….(he also needs time to get meaner himself - which may just not mesh with his genes / personality)

Reactions: uky8unc5
I'm glad everyone has him on a one yr timetable. So what if he isn't as good as we thought this yr..last I checked you can go to school three years more after this.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE POTENTIAL
I think what this says is, the potential may not be there either... Or at least nowhere near developed enough to take a chance on. This ones on Cal - he and his staff should have seen this, even with all of the recruiting services missing so badly.

It makes me wonder how hard it can be to adjust to the college level........high school ball probably is a lot easier to play than college.
I was a D 1 football player who entered college at 17 and got my butt kicked. It was a different world and I assume BB is the same.Skal just needs time to develop his body to match his skillsey

I think what this says is, the potential may not be there either... Or at least nowhere near developed enough to take a chance on. This ones on Cal - he and his staff should have seen this, even with all of the recruiting services missing so badly.
images

No way I'd take some stupid foreign kid over Jamal Murray. When are teams gonna stop drafting so many of those kids. For every 1 that pans out probably 12 are busts. Darko!!!! Where you at buddy?

I hate the word "bust". Sounds so final, which is premature since he's just a kid.

Skal is almost 20 years old who has dealt with more in his life than the average American 30 year old. He's not a kid IMO.

I never pay attention to nbadraft.net. WIth guys like Labissiere, they drop them off the board when they think they're gonna come back for another year and not even enter the draft. Labissiere isn't dropping out of the 1st round. If he declares, he'll go to the combine and work out for teams and they'll fall in love with his size and touch, defensive ability in skill drills, and he'll be a lottery pick again.

That's some optimism.

Are people really acting like Skal may not even have potential? Lol. Did you say the same about WCS?

Skal is just physically weak. And in turn that has really destroyed his confidence. No shock there when you are getting pushed around you tend to start doubting everything. Not to mention not really playing much competitive ball the last 2 years has played into it.

He has skills. Just isn't strong enough or confident enough to show them. In the offseason he will add some strength. Once he can physically hold his own he'll start showing the skillset and then the confidence comes and he's going to be really good.

1) I'm not ignorant
2) I'm not a horrendous fan

As far as Skal's performance thus far he has been a bust. If you want to defend him I'll admit that he appears to have all of the tools needed to become a really good player at some point..... and since I'm not ignorant or a horrendous fan I flat out hope he starts playing up to his potential just as you do...... but he has been a bust so far.

So why don't you just keep quiet and see how the season, and Skal, turns out. You are a horrendous fan because you felt the need to come to this forum and call him probably one of the most damning label that can be applied to a player...bravo.

No way I'd take some stupid foreign kid over Jamal Murray. When are teams gonna stop drafting so many of those kids. For every 1 that pans out probably 12 are busts. Darko!!!! Where you at buddy?

yeah but there are never any college kids who flop

i heard this about porzingis & okafor last year--and the spanish league is a much higher level of comp than the acc (it's not the mid 80s or 90s)

bender over murray is a no brainer

So why don't you just keep quiet and see how the season, and Skal, turns out. You are a horrendous fan because you felt the need to come to this forum and call him probably one of the most damning label that can be applied to a player...bravo.

You would have to comeback with a petty reply. 3/4 of my response was saying that he had time to become a really good player "at some point" and "I hoped he started playing up to his potential". There are some posts on here that are fairly negative and people are entitled to their opinion. When it comes to responses on a message board you're the damn bust. Geez, once again, I repeat- I hope he becomes a great player and I think he has the potential and the time to do it. Nothing negative at all about my comments. I'm not going to blow smoke up a player's ass that started the season as the number 1-2 pick in the draft and now he's relegated to the bench.

Skal and the NBA should not be used in the same sentence. Good Lord, the kid can't do a damn thing in college yet he is seen as a "potential" NBA player after this season. No wonder I don't waste my time watching their games. Lee will not play in the league and neither will Poythress. The Russian BB genius who owns the Nets would probably draft Skal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT