ADVERTISEMENT

nba playoffs ratings

santamaria78

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 13, 2017
I don't care about the ratings but imo the past couple years I think the nba has slowly become a monopoly. When all the goods are produced by one or two teams, the product suffers. 40 point games is not going to attract viewers. I view these super teams as just basic monopolies that must be broken up or prevented some how.

There's a system in place that is fair to every team. You can't penalize the ones who do their job better than the others. The Warriors drafted incredibly, managed their bench/cap situation perfectly, and made themselves attractive to Kevin Durant as a free agent.

That's the entire point. Everyone is trying to win. They just did an infinitely better job than anyone else. They're playing with the same cap and draft rules as everyone else.

Yeah trying to parallel sports competition to whatever your political views are is pretty weird.

well players are turning down contrwcts nc they know they can make bank riding durants coat tail and making the playoffs less entertaining. what other sports have embraced the super team idea
... imo laws are slowly being repealed bc of the gratification it brings like sport betting. and super team makes me think of monopoly.. i dont think the long term effects will be predictable.

I have read previously (don't know if it's still true) but a sport generally increases in interest when there is a 'super team' that everyone else is trying to knock off. Parity seems to be the dampener of interest. When the Yankees and Dodgers are good, MLB tends to draw better. In the NFL, everyone wants to dethrone the Patriots. LeBron in the East. MJ in the Bulls run. Tiger in golf.

I do agree, though, that the past 2 years in the NBA the regular season has seemed like a dress rehearsal for the Warriors and Cavs to play in the finals. Sort of the same way I feel about CBB regular season - it's pretty obvious really early in the season which teams will be the true contenders for the NCAA crown. At UK, for instance, it's almost a given that if they win 20 games, they'll be in the tourney. Makes the regular season pretty meaningless, imo.

Reactions: santamaria78
I haven't looked at the ratings so far.. but last season was a banner year for the NBA, and I can't see that changing. Despite what you or I may think of the Warriors and their collection of betas, it's still a great product. People tune in to see them (and Cleveland) either lose or win.

The NBA is the best it's been since the Jordan era. Players hate each other again, yet aren't reprobates like they were from the late 90's to the late 2000's. It's a compelling product.

how do you lose by 40 in in the conference finals?

also, how can you win by 20 at home and then lose by 40 on the road to the same team...in the conference finals?

Celtics dominated the cavs at home...then got dominated by the cavs... theres no way theses superstar athletes are THAT effected by home court.. and if they are, somethings wrong with the model.

I'm not a Golden State hater by any stretch, but I think the 3-ball and layup game has gone a little too far and taken away some of the other parts of the game I enjoy watching. My favorite NBA era (in terms of watching the games) was around 2013 and 2014. Both Spurs-Heat finals were phenomenal. The final Cleveland won a couple years ago was great too.

Unfortunately, the only fix would be to a) decrease the ratio of 3's to 2's or b) move back the 3 pt line. I have no idea how you could do letter a, and you'd basically run out of real estate on the corner if you did letter b. So I don't see anything changing any time soon.

Maybe it's just sour grapes on my end. While I don't dislike Golden State, I do root against them as I do any dominant team that isn't my favorite team (Celtics). And there isn't more of a helpless feeling in basketball when your opponent is GS and even just two of Durant/Curry/Thompson have it going.

If there is cavs-warriors part 3, the ratings will be incredible. The Warriors will probably slaughter them, but it was still draw tons if eyes.

I don't disparage the warriors at all. But Durant is a huge pouse to basically admit that he had to join the best team in the NBA to get a title. To be on a team with Westbrook and harden and not win a title is a huge indictment on how overrated he is.

Reactions: WayneDougan
I’ll never understand people’s irrational desire to find something wrong with the NBA. It’s a great product that’s only getting better.

If you can’t enjoy watching the Warriors, possibly the greatest offense of all time when it’s clicking, you just don’t really like basketball.

Reactions: FutureCityCats
I’ll never understand people’s irrational desire to find something wrong with the NBA. It’s a great product that’s only getting better.

I am not disparaging the NBA, but I do think the product was better 4-5 years ago. Still, today is better than 98-2008.

This is a hell of a game tonight, but I swear the Warriors are +30 when I'm watching the game. I'm bad luck or something for the Rockets.

Don't know what the ratings are but I'd like to see Boston & definitely the Rockets. I enjoy watching them ever since Scott Padgett made a stop there a few years in his career. Cleveland wouldn't upset me if they made it in though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT